clean install in xp pro

August 16, 2005 3:25:55 PM

I have windows xp on my comp but i want to format the hard drive and put a
clean new copy of windows xp on. How do I do this.

More about : clean install pro

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:40:08 PM

The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

5. Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
and download the available "Critical Updates".

8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
and audio drivers.

9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"liquidboyblue" wrote:

| I have windows xp on my comp but i want to format the hard drive and put a
| clean new copy of windows xp on. How do I do this.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:40:09 PM

i tried this but it won't left me delete the partitions??

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
> to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
> Windows XP to partition and format your drive:
>
> NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
> devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.
>
> NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
> EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
> hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
> After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.
>
> 1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".
>
> ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
> ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
>
> 2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
> 3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
> 4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
> Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
> partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.
>
> 5. Clean Install Windows XP
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]
>
> 6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
> ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
>
> 7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
> and download the available "Critical Updates".
>
> 8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
> of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
> available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
> and audio drivers.
>
> 9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:
>
> How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_setup.htm
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "liquidboyblue" wrote:
>
> | I have windows xp on my comp but i want to format the hard drive and put a
> | clean new copy of windows xp on. How do I do this.

August 16, 2005 5:40:09 PM

oh and i don't have an A: drive

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
> to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
> Windows XP to partition and format your drive:
>
> NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
> devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.
>
> NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
> EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
> hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
> After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.
>
> 1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".
>
> ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
> ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
>
> 2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
> 3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
> 4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
> Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
> partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.
>
> 5. Clean Install Windows XP
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]
>
> 6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
> ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
>
> 7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
> and download the available "Critical Updates".
>
> 8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
> of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
> available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
> and audio drivers.
>
> 9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:
>
> How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_setup.htm
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "liquidboyblue" wrote:
>
> | I have windows xp on my comp but i want to format the hard drive and put a
> | clean new copy of windows xp on. How do I do this.

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 6:03:44 PM

You have to boot from the Windows XP CD....

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"liquidboyblue" wrote:

| i tried this but it won't left me delete the partitions??
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 6:23:03 PM

You don't need an A: drive. Open your BIOS and set the CD Drive

!