Why won't my PC play GTA on full?

Last response: in Video Games
December 3, 2009 1:22:05 AM

This is my PC:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz
2.67 GHz Performance Rated at: 6.0075 GHz
8.0 GB
Dual ATI Radeon HD 4870 Graphics cards

According to http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/, my PC passes all the recommended requirments for GTA IV!!

But GTA's auto configure puts viewing distance at 32 and I can't put it up farther than like 46. Most detail and texture settings can't be on the highest settings. Why is this when my PC exceeds the requirements? Doesn't make sense.

More about : play gta full

December 3, 2009 2:27:09 AM

I heard that GTA IV is a very graphics intensive game for the PC so that could be part of the problem.
m
l
Related resources
December 3, 2009 2:33:53 AM

Yeah, it's almost as bad as Crysis, i've heard. Plus the developers made a bad port, so i've heard. Again lol.
m
l
December 3, 2009 2:39:07 AM

Yea I was reading it somewhere that GTA is meant for high end computers in the future. I don't know about the bad port because I've never played the PC version of it.
m
l
Anonymous
December 3, 2009 4:54:31 AM

How much is the AGP card's RAM? For GTA 4 to be played in full res, you 1GB of VRAM. If you have dual AGP cards and have 1GB VRAM, that means each card has only 512MB of RAM. So, you can't get past GFX quality MEDIUM unless you have 2GB VRAM for your DUAL AGP card setup. Regarding the rendering distance, it might have to do something with CPU....
m
l
December 3, 2009 5:54:12 AM

Quote:
How much is the AGP card's RAM? For GTA 4 to be played in full res, you 1GB of VRAM. If you have dual AGP cards and have 1GB VRAM, that means each card has only 512MB of RAM. So, you can't get past GFX quality MEDIUM unless you have 2GB VRAM for your DUAL AGP card setup. Regarding the rendering distance, it might have to do something with CPU....

I hope AGP is a typo, because we are waaaaaaay past AGP...

But yes, GTA4 apparently won't allow full settings on a GPU with less that 1GB of video RAM.
m
l
!