Is my motherboard fried?

gujusrule

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2003
Hi. I have a really old system with an Asus A7V mobo and athlon CPU with a Radeon VIVO video card. I turned on my cable TV tuner which caused my video to freeze. Ever since then, I cannot get any video. I get a BIOS error with alternating beeps (equal length). I have tried 3 video cards, none of which work. All 3 video cards work on another computer. Also, I tried reseating the memory and also tried other memory sticks with no improvement. The symptons persist with only the memory and cpu and video card hooked onto the mobo. Is there anything I can do or should I switch out the mobo?
thanks.

gujusrule

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2003
would a bad power supply cause the bios to give an error beep code? I am not sure if it can be the PSU since the problems started only and immediately after my video froze. How can I determine if its the power supply or the mobo? switch out the power supply and test? I have had a bad power supply in the past, but the symptoms were totally different - the computer would freeze at random times, but it would usually boot up. This time it doesnt even POST correctly. Also, could it be the CPU? thanks.

lunitic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
A psu can fail in several ways. Your previous PSU was either overloaded or unstable, at this psu one of the power lines that the graphics card uses may be completely dead.
Switching the psu is the easiest way to test. You could also take a voltmeter and measure all voltages.

One long and three short beeps indicate a problem with the video card. You did mention only three beeps, but I couldn't find that in the manual (ftp://www.asus.it/pub/ASUS/mb/slota/k7v/k7v-101.pdf page 47). I believe that the mobo would do nothing at all if the CPU is dead - the BIOS and the POST is just a program which is executed by the CPU - you could try this by removing the CPU and then switching on the system.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Send me your old card and I'll test it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>