Any Good MMO to play besides WoW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donavaughn_08

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I recently stopped playing WoW. I had been playing since beta and got tired of playing it and was wondering, What is another good MMO to play? Ive downloaded the trial for LOTRO and it seems pretty good. I have tried WAR but didnt like it to well. I was also wondering if Age of Conan was any good, Ive heard it has gotten better since launch. Aion is another game ive heard pretty good things about. I would like to know what game you recommend and why you guys recommend it thanks.

Solution
I play LotrO and it's an excellent game. Definitely recommend. Plus it's cheaper than most at $27.99 per 3 months ($9.99 per month). I've also been itching to try Aion, but I've heard it's an excellent choice. For LotrO you'll experience it a lot better if you've read the books. It funny going somewhere where your like "Oh Frodo was here before!" :) Well in point, Aion, and LotrO. Also i haven't heard a lot about this one, but there's Fallen Earth too. I don't think many people play that one though. It 's post-apocalyptic. Think Fallout in MMO.

I-Fulgore-I

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I play LotrO and it's an excellent game. Definitely recommend. Plus it's cheaper than most at $27.99 per 3 months ($9.99 per month). I've also been itching to try Aion, but I've heard it's an excellent choice. For LotrO you'll experience it a lot better if you've read the books. It funny going somewhere where your like "Oh Frodo was here before!" :) Well in point, Aion, and LotrO. Also i haven't heard a lot about this one, but there's Fallen Earth too. I don't think many people play that one though. It 's post-apocalyptic. Think Fallout in MMO.

Solution

Donavaughn_08

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Ive heard of fallen earth as well but don't know much about it. I have read all of the Lord of the rings books as well watched the movies so imma big Tolkien fan. It seems pretty good but people say it will get boring if you don't stay into the story but it seems ok so far through the trial version. Ive been itching to try Aion but no trial that I can find. A friend gave me a copy of Age of Conan to try, but I haven't installed it yet.

I-Fulgore-I

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
You have to find someone you like, and play through 25+ levels. It gets better. I prefer Captain so far. I enjoy melee (I had a hunter, lost intrest for some reason. Now feel like going back lol) and while meleeing it's fun to be able to heal/buff :D

Donavaughn_08

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I can't remember what i created to play I believe it was a captain but i'm still in the starting zones. I'm so used to playing WoW I find myself comparing other MMOS to it and critiquing it that way even though WoW isn't that great of a game. I like LOTRO so far I have bought Mines of Moria the complete edition which comes with the original game, which should arrive in the mail anytime this week. I wanna play Aion as well but my finances aren't that good. I also heard Aion does the payments different. They do it on the amount of time played. I think $8 gets you 120 hours playing time and when you don't play, it doesn't count against you.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
LOTRO is proabably the best alternative to wow right now.

the only thing i can truly offer as advice though, is stay away from aion.

it gets you hooked early on, and has alot of promise. but the game is so unfinished and content-less that after a certain point there is nothing left to do at all.
so dont be tempted, right now the game is really bad, though im still ohping they add some end game content over the next few months.

coming from wow, lotro is a pretty easy transition. so you should like it.

Donavaughn_08

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
ok thanks sounds good to me. I have read a lot about how after level 25 or so that it is pretty much a grindfest. It does however have the second highest subscription rate to WoW but if there is nothing good endgame then there is no use to go to it. How is LOTROS endgame?

welshmousepk

Distinguished
i never got to LOTRO endgame. id only started playing it (free trial, lol) when aion came out. but im planning on going back to LOTRO next year sometime, in the downtime after febuary releases. hopefully it will keep me busy til SW:TOR.

but yeah, aion is exactly that. the first 27 levels are amazing. then its just grind. no instances, quests only make up about a 20th of total level XP. drop rates for group areas and instances is awful. theres bots everywhere.

the game has potential, dont get me wrong. its classes are all fun to play and moslty well balanced (not entirely though). buit right now, theres not enough to make it worth paying a sub for.

Morton

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
The answer depends on what type of MMO games you like to play in general.

Some fantasy/grindfest MMOs: LoTRo, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Voyage Century Online
Some multiplayer fantasy games: Mount & Blade: Warband, Neverwinter Nights

Some scifi MMOs: Face of Mankind, Fallen Earth, Huxley
(Face of Mankind enters beta test two days from now!)

Some scifi MMOs (space ships): Eve Online, Jumpgate Evolution, Galactic Command

A tactical MMO (naval ships): Navyfield

kryten42

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
My favorite is City of Heroes/City of Villains. There's a lot of backstory both in the game, and in comic books you can download from their site.
It's fun to run around and do the super-hero thing, but I've always been a comic book fan.

Donavaughn_08

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
lol haha i would love to try aion but i hear it is a massive grindfest with no endgame. Morton, I like the fantasy MMOS that are similar to WoW. I tried Darkfall, it had a good premise but was lacking in the gameplay deparment. Kryten42, I'm not real big on comics so City of Heroes wouldn't really fit my style of games that I play. What about EQ2 or SWG? anyone have any good experiences with them

welshmousepk

Distinguished
SWG is awful, dont bother.

EQ2 isnt so bad. but calling it an MMO is a bit of s tretch IMO.

@serial sniper, yeah i did the exact same thing with aion. i was hooked for 2 months. once i got to level 40 that changed though. all i could do was grind mobs to level, and it took about 30 hours of consecutive grinding to get a level up.

back on topic though, the new LOTRO expansion is out soon. so now could be a good time to get into it. i may pick it up myself to play in between xmas releases if they release a decent expansion/full game multipack.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I miss my EQ1 days (7years played from beta) but it kind of ruined them all for me. They are just so easy and boring now, having played EQ2,Wow, Aion, Lotro and Eve since quitting EQ1. Perhaps I am just burned out on mmos, or waiting for the right one to grab me again (Star Trek perhaps? Yar)

Daman2009

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
CabalOnline is a 'quite' popular MMORPG.

Here is a link for you to have a look at. This game is mainly about fighting and PvP but also has quests and mob hunting.
Primary objective is to be powerful worrior in which ever 'class' of player you choose. Whether your an archer, blader, dual blader wizard etc.

Check this out:
http://www.cabalonline.com/gameinfo/cabal-warrior.asp

and also look on youtube for some videos!

rernst

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I have played Conan, Warhammer and Aion. I am now giving LotrO a spin. I really liked Wow but then at some point it seemed to become a bit too much for me. I have picked up my account again after a year but seem to have a hard time getting back into it. Wow is very content rich - probably much more so than anything else I have seen.

Conan was a rip-off as it started. I bought it because of it suppoded spectacular DX10 looks (which were not in the game as they immediately pulled the DX10 engine). Game play after the first handful of levels (3which were extremely well done) was so bad, it felt like you were in a different game. Eventually I stopped playing because I had no interest that post lvl 20 game vs. the initial great start. I think players have never forgiven the company for that bait and switch.

Warhammer is very nicely done, not quite as cartoonish and relatively rich in content. It relies quite a bit on a proper server population as the game favors collaboration. PvE is nicely done. Like Conan you cannot really say it is a WoW clone; it has the same elements, leveling, trade and crafting, etc. but has its own feel and character.

Aion on the other hand is a complete WoW clone in most every respect (Yes, you can fight while you fly - as if that made a difference). The cloning goes so far as that the whole look and feel is almost identical. It seems as if whole landscapes were lifted. The sound track, IMHO, is pretty bad and reminiscent of samples slapped together with Acid (a piece of software). I could swear that the combat 'rock guitar' sound is straight from one of the Acid loops. Aion also has a decidedly Asian ambience. While the combat sounds and voices are of course supposed to be language independent, they sound like Pokemon to me.

Aion seriously lacks content and is predicated on the idea that you like grinding. Leveling crafting involves standing in a room and essentially doing the same thing for however many hours you like. It has the worst crafting system of any game I have ever played. Gathering is similar - leveling is intentionally very slow (chances of gaining a level increase in gathering are very low). The game is overrun by gold sellers and, since there is hardly another way of leveling, bots. Now that NCSoft has gone through a round of bans and mods to the game to get a handle on those I am certain many players will leave due to the sheer lack of genuine content - something that has taken Wow (and I have played Wow almost since when it came out) a long, long, time. Personally, I do not enjoy quests like 'Obtain 25 shards of this and kill 30 mobs of that kind'. It's a rip-off to simply force you to spend time in the game. This is what Aion mostly does. As Wow grew it became more of a 'Steal this and then smuggle this and then discover that' - much more challenging and interesting than 'Grind a gazillion of these'.

So as I am pondering my re-entry to Wow I am giving LotrO a whirl - I have heard a lot of good things about it. From my experience - if you liked Wow you really might like Warhammer. It's similar but not too similar, the content and game play much more interesting than Aion. Aion is occupational therapy at best.

I shalll give fallen a try myself as well.

Donavaughn_08

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I have played WAR and it pretty decent but I have heard that they are dropping a lot of servers and merging them. I also heard WAR is in trouble of going under. I would like to try Aion but after the first 40 levels it is just grindfest. WoW has been my stable since beta but everytime i stop playing for a while and go back i feel like it has gotten worse and it makes me wanna stop playing. My friend gave me a unopened copy of Conan and i'm going to start playing it and see how it goes. I heard that it has significantly improved since it came out. I also bought the complete edition of LOTRO: Mines of Moria which comes with original and intend to see how it goes. I can't really think of any more MMO's to play but maybe Darkfall or EQII. Darkfall has a very good premise i've played my uncles account a bit but the graphics and gameplay is shotty to me.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
WAR is definetly going under. alot of the guys i played AION with had coime directly from WAR, saying that the servers were hugely underpopulated. i dont think it has much time left.

on the aion topic agian, it seems liek the devs are paying a ttention. theyve banned lots of RMTers and Botters, theyve upped XP rewards to reduce grinding a little and fixed lots of bugs. they seem to be trying hard. now i still think the game has far too little content, but i think next year it may really come into its own.

the new LOTRO expansion looks brilliant though. im really liking the look of it. starting to think i might pick up the game to get my MMO fix while waiting for SWTOR...

Status
Not open for further replies.