ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Hi,

Does anyone know how to set the number lock on when booting up in XP?
The bios has been told to set it, but XP cancels it again

Hello Ken,
See Kelly's XP Korner
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweak_bookmarks.htm

Scroll down to "Set Numlock State on Startup".
HTH
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"ken" wrote

ken wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how to set the number lock on when booting up in XP?
> The bios has been told to set it, but XP cancels it again

WinXP, like its predecessors WinNT and Win2K, by design, ignores
the BIOS settings for the NumLock key as a standard security feature.
(I'm afraid I can't remember the "security" issue initially addressed.)
By default, the NumLock key is turned off as WinXP starts, and keeps
it off until someone logs in and initializes a user profile. WinXP will
remember the NumLock's last state, meaning that if you log out with the
NumLock on, it will automatically turn on the next time you log in; If
you log out with the NumLock off, it will be off the next time you log in.

If you need the NumLock on _before_ logging in, a registry edit can
be used to change WinXP's default behavior:

How to Set the NUM LOCK State at Logon in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314879

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Hi

That setting can be changed via the Registry - but please backup the
Registry beforehand.

Open the Registry Editor and navigate to the following:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard

in the right hand pane double click on 'InitialKeyboardIndicators' and
change the value to 2. You will have to restart Windows for the change to
take effect.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User