Say 'Hi' to Conqueror Irongirl-IV

Last response: in Video Games
August 3, 2005 4:29:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Due to the fact that their was no ladder reset I could continue with the
adventures of Irongirl-IV and made it to Conqueror today. She is a
Blaze/Frozen Orb sorc (sorry to steal your idea, Michael, but that's
simply the most promising sorc build for Ironman), played according to
the standard Ironman rules (no repairs, no shopping, no twinking, full
clear, all quests, no repeating of areas, interaction with NPC only when
required for quest completion).

Why Blaze? First of all, this skill is fun for me. When I played my
first sorc in D2 classic singleplayer (long before I knew how things
work in D2, I remember that I equiped her with +fire damage items not
knowing that this does not work with spells), I tried every single skill
and ended up with Blaze as my prefered skill. But later, I learned that
Blaze is not one of the cookie cutter skills and that other fire skills
have more potential, so I never really tried it again. Least of all when
I went to Bnet, Blaze is certainly not made for party play.

But for solo Ironman gameplay, Blaze is amazing. It costs virtually no
mana, you can kill things by running away from them, it's a lvl 12 skill
that is already quite strong for the fights with Andariel and Duriel
where many Ironman attempts end. The downside is that it's totally
useless against immobile targets (fire towers, lightning spires, mummy
sarcophagus) or needs some patience when fighting ranged attackers
(quill rats, shamans and such).

The early stages of the game were rather uneventfull. I found both a
tome of ID and TP scrolls in the prison this time. Charsi imbued a
really nice orb for me: lots of resists (30 CR, 25 FR, 19 PR), +8 energy
and +8 life and, funny enough on an orb, self repair. The fights with
Andariel and Duriel followed the same pattern: keep Blaze up, run away
from them in a straight line keeping them in the fire trace until they
are dead. Easy. Mephisto was fried with slvl 1 firewall. For Diablo, I
was brave enough to get into static range and finishing him off with
slvl 1 Blizzard.

Act 5 normal had some nice surprises for me. First a Vipermagi popped
out of a chest. After climbing back on my chair I realized that it was
ethereal (13 durability). Still usefull for special purposes. Second, an
incredible good orb from Anya: +1 Enchant, +2 Chain Lightning, +11 Life,
2 MDR, +19 Energy, 4 to mana after each kill, 22 LR, 35 FR and, on top
of it, +2 Blaze. Third, a plated belt (I already had 60 str at that
point) with +21 life, 22 CR and 19 LR. With that kind of equipment plus
the first points in Frozen Orb plus max resists, everything went
smoothly including the Ancients and the hole Baal stuff. BTW like on my
last Irongirl attempt I had to use the socket quest just before tackling
Baal to replace the nearly broken 3 flawed diamond large shield with
Ancient's Pledge in a kite shield.

The theme of Nightmare was made for an unique bow collector: Wizendraw,
Stormstrike, Raven Claw twice, Rogue's Bow, Witherstring twice, an
almost complete collection of normal unique bows. Of course non of them
with any use for Irongirl-IV.

Other item drops were more usefull: Sanders Riprap (with 25% from
Stealth, that's 65% faster run, it makes a real difference with Blaze),
a 14 all res jewel (went into the Orb socketed by Lazurk), a plain +1
sorc skill amulett, a SOL rune (found in act 1, I had to wait for the
quest reward for freeing the soldiers until I got my hand on an ORT for
Lore), a KO rune (no real use for it so far), an UM from hellforge (no
idea where to put that into), two 70ish mana rings (I still have base
energy) and some lucky charm finds: passive skiller, small 20 life,
grand 29 life 24 CR, large 24 life 10 mana, small 10 life 7 LR.

Act boss fights were not too hard. Andariel and Duriel both died both in
a blaze of fire, just like in normal. Mephisto was lured in a fire trap
laid on the stairs that nearly killed him, I finished him off from the
distance with FO. Fire traps, FO and static made short work of Diablo
and Baal. The Ancients could not deal with Blaze and FO (I better not
tried to static here).

And the tough fights? A CI FE LE quill rat in Ancients Path resulted in
a 15 minute blaze dance. About the same with CI Lister. Although it's
easy to lure him into the fire, the dealt damage was only slightly
higher than his heal rate. But after he had lost all his minions, it was
just a matter of time until he was defeated.

So now Irongirl-IV is on the doorstep to Hell. She is lvl 67, has around
900 life and 450 mana. Resists are max in Hell (except poison) with
Vipermagi and 75/65/75/? with the soon to break Stealth breast plate (I
have the runes ready for a replacement). She has (with items) lvl 25
Blaze, lvl 5 Fire Mastery, lvl 7 Warmth, lvl 14 Frozen Orb, lvl 4 Cold
Mastery, lvl 4 Static, Teleport and 26 skill points to distribute.

So far, no critter immune to both fire and cold showed up. But I will
need a decent lightning attack sooner or later, I'm sure. Ok, I have +2
chain lightning on the orb. But even with 20 Lightning Mastery and +3
sorc skills, that's still only 4-347 damage for 13 mana (against a
single target). I have an orb with +2 Thunderstorm. That would be
169-579 dmg per hit with 20 LM and +3 skills. Any adviced where to place
the 26 (and hopefully more) skill points?

BTW I had picked up every wand hoping for one with lower resists charges
but no success so far.

---
Hannes, who has learned that NM Abaddon can be populated with Stygian
Dolls, Horror Archers and Hell Witches *shudder*.

More about : conqueror irongirl

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 4:29:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Hannes Brunner" <bruhan12@web.de> wrote in message
<SNIPPAGE>

Im in a rush atm so didnt read the body of this message... just thought I'd
snip the content and reply to the title...

Hi Conqueror Irongirl-IV :¬)
*runs off*

--
Trammel is a member of DWC (http://dwc.no-ip.org)
(Please reply to group only)

Hi Hannes,

Congrats - great story as usual. I'm impressed with the achievement.

Ian

- "Hi" to the lady too
August 3, 2005 7:48:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Hannes Brunner" wrote...
> [snip]
> Any adviced where to place the 26 (and hopefully more) skill points?

First, I must say that your exploits are very impressive, as is your ability
to relate the story.

As to the skill points, I suggest you finish maxing out Frozen Orb, then
make sure Blaze is maxed. If these are your primary skills, they will need
to be maxed in Hell. As you know, the immunes that populate Hell are going
to be problematic. If you were to dump 40 points into Charged Bolt and
Lightning Mastery, you would at least be able to handle the Countess. I
know from experience that Hell Countess is always CI/FI, and her Dark
Stalker minions are always CI. You'll not be able to complete that quest
without lightning (or a lot of luck).
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 9:55:29 PM

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 12:29:29 +0200, Hannes Brunner wrote:

> She is a
> Blaze/Frozen Orb sorc (sorry to steal your idea, Michael, but that's
> simply the most promising sorc build for Ironman)

Oh, you're quite welcome to the idea! I have been fiddling around with
Blaze/FO sorceresses for a while now, and I, too, have an iron-version of
her running. (well, two, one uses Blaze/TS, which doesn't work nearly as
well so far). I'm glad that others finally discover the awesomeness of
Blaze, too! ;)  (my very first Hell character in classic was a Blaze sorc,
too)

Good read, as always. :)

M.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:51:45 PM

Just something OT here...

I noticed recently that UK people have some kind of joke tendancy
towards Tasmania... I don't quite understand...

- Samiel
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 1:47:51 PM

Brian Kastel schrieb:
> "Hannes Brunner" wrote...
>
>>[snip]
>>Any adviced where to place the 26 (and hopefully more) skill points?
>
> First, I must say that your exploits are very impressive, as is your ability
> to relate the story.
>
> As to the skill points, I suggest you finish maxing out Frozen Orb, then
> make sure Blaze is maxed. If these are your primary skills, they will need
> to be maxed in Hell. As you know, the immunes that populate Hell are going
> to be problematic. If you were to dump 40 points into Charged Bolt and
> Lightning Mastery, you would at least be able to handle the Countess. I
> know from experience that Hell Countess is always CI/FI, and her Dark
> Stalker minions are always CI. You'll not be able to complete that quest
> without lightning (or a lot of luck).

Thanks for your advices. Especially for pointing out that the Countess
will be CI/FI.

Blaze is max already, but Fire Mastery is at rather low level. However,
I will not place any points in FM until I have some left over (I doubt
this will happen). As you can place layer over layer with Blaze, it is
powerfull enough, it just requires a bit more patience.

FO will get some more points once it cries for more killing power. It
has to cry loud though ;-).

Because I will have to work on a lightning skill. All I need for now is
a skill that has enough potential to finish off the other half of Hell
Countess (after Static) in a single player game. Without the help of a
Merc (the Rogue died early in Act 1 normal, it's impossible to keep her
alive _and_ using Blaze to full extent at the same time) and without
Prevent Monster Heal support (even if I had a weapon with PMH, I won't
hit anything with base dex and no AR boosters whatsoever).

Heck, I might even wait until I'm in that very situation and start
placing skill points then. Nova is out of question (too mana consuming),
Charged Bolt won't work good enough against single targets. That leaves
either Lightning or Thunderstorm, both with Mastery support. As I have
both skills on items, I will try if I can get away without distributing
any hard points except for LM.

---
Hannes
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 3:40:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Hannes Brunner wrote:

<edited>

"Hi Conqueror Irongirl-IV". *waves*

Once again, Hannes, terrific write-up. Best of luck with Hell.

I started a new character to see how far he could get simply using
things he finds (not Ironman, just something I'm doing for my own
curiosity). Because I had no items at the time, the only other char I
played untwinked in Diablo was my very first character. I'd forgotten
how tough it is. I also play an untwinked team with my friend. At one
point in Act II Normal, were it not for his Assassin and her merc, I
doubt very much whether my Druid would have been able to continue.
Neither him or his Rogue could kill anything, or, at least, it took so
long to kill one critter we'd eventually get swarmed. Or we'd walk
backwards trying to separate a pack of monsters, then run into a whole
new bunch. It was most frustrating. That, combined with all the other
rules Ironman imposes on you, makes your success in Ironman all the
more laudable.

Jill

> Hannes, who has learned that NM Abaddon can be populated with Stygian
> Dolls, Horror Archers and Hell Witches *shudder*.

Yep. I avoid those Act V "side" places like the plague.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:54:07 PM

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 11:49:47 +1200, "~misfit~"
<misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:

>Are you from Tasmania? If so that could explain why you don't understand.
>;-)

Nope, TX, USA...

I know the USA has a bunch of jokes about Mexico and Canada... so the
UK and Tasmania has something odd I guess...

- Samiel
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 8:18:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

"Hannes Brunner" wrote...
> [snip] Charged Bolt won't work good enough against single targets. That
> leaves either Lightning or Thunderstorm, both with Mastery support. As I
> have both skills on items, I will try if I can get away without
> distributing any hard points except for LM.

On the contrary, CB works better than Lightning one-on-one. When standing
toe-to-toe, the monster gets most of the bolts. That's more damage than
lightning can deal. The Countess seems to have no immunity against
lightning, either, as she falls rather quickly; much more so than her
stalker minions.

I may be misled, however, by my character's spell levels (34). With
Lightning synergy and Lightning Mastery, she delivers 24*332 min and 24*350
max damage with all bolts accounted. That's 7968 to 8400. Her lightning
alone only delivers anywhere from 5 to 5826, which is effectively averaging
to less than 3000. Every point in Lightning adds 6% more damage to CB, and
while level 20 LM adds 278% more damage, my sorc's level 34 LM adds 446%. I
can only imagine what another +3 to skills would be like. Gotta get me a
torch...

Another good thing about CB... I've taken to using tele more in my battles.
Casting Blizzard on a group, then a few volleys of CB toward them, then tele
off to another side of the group, rinse and repeat (as they say). Even my
merc barely has to get his hands dirty, since the Bolts continue to work
like Blizzard's shards after I've moved. It's very effective against cows.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 11:29:23 PM

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 03:08:02 +1200, "~misfit~"
<misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:

>IIRC it has something to do with Tasmania being shaped a bit like a
>womans.... Ummmm, nether hairy regions. That and being 'down-under'.

Funny stuff... :-p

- Samiel
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 6:11:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

neithskye wrote:

[snip]

> how tough it is. I also play an untwinked team with my friend. At one
> point in Act II Normal, were it not for his Assassin and her merc, I
> doubt very much whether my Druid would have been able to continue.
> Neither him or his Rogue could kill anything, or, at least, it took so
> long to kill one critter we'd eventually get swarmed. Or we'd walk
> backwards trying to separate a pack of monsters, then run into a whole
> new bunch.

[snip]

I'm surprised to hear of your difficulty in act 2... how do
you equip your rogue? I'm currently playing a mostly naked
pally (no charms, wearing just a belt) and having equipped
my rogue merc with a hunters bow containing two flawed
topazes and a flawed sapphire I'm feeling practically godly
in Act 2, even at players 8.

Ian
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:41:39 PM

Ian Oversby wrote:
> neithskye wrote:

> I'm surprised to hear of your difficulty in act 2... how do
> you equip your rogue? I'm currently playing a mostly naked
> pally (no charms, wearing just a belt) and having equipped
> my rogue merc with a hunters bow containing two flawed
> topazes and a flawed sapphire I'm feeling practically godly
> in Act 2, even at players 8.

:o

You know what? I can't check now as I got a Prayer dude, but I think
that in my concern to equip my Druid I totally forgot about her. It's
one of the first things I do -- give the Rogue a gemmed bow. I remember
cubing up some gems the minute I got the Cube, then I think I totally
forgot to give her a gemmed bow. How silly.

Especially since my Barb's Rogue kills about 90% of the critters in a
game. He Taunts them over and she kills them at her leisure, one by
one.

I should have thought to question the difficulty my Druid was having,
but not my Barb. Ah, well. With the new Prayer dude and a very nice
Crystal sword my Druid just found, things are much better.

Jill
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 2:25:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Congrats, Hannes, on a fine achievement!

-- Roy L
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 3:47:28 PM

royls@telus.net schrieb:
> Congrats, Hannes, on a fine achievement!

Thanks.

I took the first steps down to Hell in the meantime. The first FI/CI
boss (Bishibosh) required a decission about a lightning skill and I
choosed Thunderstorm. Mainly because it's a more or less passive skill
and helps increasing the overall killing power.

Which is slow. It required several hours to blaze a trail to the
entrance (!) of the stony field. Which is where this project stalled
because of boredom. Oh, and because the ladder reset dropped my
motivation to continue the adventures of Irongirl-IV quite a bit.

---
Hannes