older laptop wireless access

igor

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

I have an older laptop (a IBM 380e) that only supports PCMCIA up to
version 2.1. The IBM website also does not mention that it supports
cardbus, so I assume it does not, and that it only supports 16-bit
cards. Is there a card out there that fits that description that will
work with a 802.11b/g network?

Thank you,

Igor

On 20 Sep 2004 06:27:49 -0700, igorramone@yahoo.com (Igor) wrote:

>I have an older laptop (a IBM 380e) that only supports PCMCIA up to
>version 2.1. The IBM website also does not mention that it supports
>cardbus, so I assume it does not, and that it only supports 16-bit
>cards. Is there a card out there that fits that description that will
>work with a 802.11b/g network?

I've got one of those. You will not be able to even insert a CardBus
card into the slot. You're stuck using only 16 bit cards on this
laptop. These are not particularly bad cards and are still commonly
available (Proxim, Orinoco, etc). However, you will not get 802.11g
high speeds with a 16 bit card. To the best of my limited knowledge,
nobody makes an 802.11g radio with a 16bit PCMCIA connector.

An 802.11b card will work in an 802.11g network as long as nobody has
disabled 802.11b compatibility in the access point. It will also slow
down the entire network somewhat in order to maintain comptability.
However, it will work.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

If it has a USB port on it, you might get one of those USB wireless dongles
from D-link ..I'm sure there are others, but i have one of those.
The local computer store guys told me they didn't think there were any 16
bit wireless cards and i certainly haven't seen any but doesn't mean they
don't exist.
might try googling ...?

igorramone@yahoo.com (Igor) wrote in

> I have an older laptop (a IBM 380e) that only supports PCMCIA up
> to version 2.1. The IBM website also does not mention that it
> supports cardbus, so I assume it does not, and that it only
> supports 16-bit cards. Is there a card out there that fits that
> description that will work with a 802.11b/g network?

Yes, hundreds. The following list of wireless cards is snipped from a
longer list of 16-bit PCMCIA supported by Linux. Google is your
frind :)

Bear in mind that many (probably all) are obsolescent. Suggest you
pick out a couple of names you know/respect, look up and confirm the
details on the manuactureers' websites and check that you can
download drivers when you've got your hands on one. Then search
eBay...

Aironet PC4500, PC4800
Cisco 340, 350
Xircom Wireless Ethernet Adapter
Breezenet SA-PX
Xircom CreditCard Netwave
BUSlink Wireless LAN Adapter
Raytheon Raylink
WebGear Aviator 2.4, Aviator Pro
AT&T / NCR / Lucent WaveLAN version 2.0
DEC RoamAbout/DS
3Com AirConnect
1stWave 1ST-PC-DSS11IS, DSS11IG, DSS11ES, DSS11EG
Actiontec HWC01170-01/802C12
Adaptec ANW-8030
Addtron AWP-100
Airvast WN-100
Ambicom WL1100 PC
ARtem Onair ComCard STD & EMB versions, 128- & 64-bit
ASUS SpaceLink WL-100
Avaya World Card
Belkin F5D6020
Buffalo WLI-PCM-S11
Cabletron/Enterasys RoamAbout 802.11 DS
Compaq WL100, HNW-100
Conceptronic CON11Cpro
Corega PCCA-11, PCC-11
Dell TrueMobile 1150 Series
D-Link DRC-650, DCF-650W, DWL-660, DCF-660W
D-Link DWL-650 [older version, NOT new CardBus ones or 650+]
EagleTec ET-WL300NE-CC
Efficient SpeedStream SS1021 [old 16-bit, NOT new CardBus ones]
ELSA AirLancer MC-11
Ericsson WLAN Card C11
Farallon SkyLINE
HP F2136B
HyperLink Wireless
IBM High Rate Wireless LAN
Intel PRO/Wireless 2011
LA4111 Spectrum24 Wireless LAN
Linksys WPC11 Instant Wireless [ NOT the CardBus v4 card ]
Linksys WCF12 Wireless CompactFlash
Lucent Orinoco WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11(b)
Melco WLI-PCM-L11, WLI-PCM-L11G
Microsoft MN-520
NCR WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11
Netgear MA401RA
Nortel Networks eMobility
PLANEX GeoWave GW-CF110, RoadLannerWave GW-NS11H
Proxim Harmony 802.11b
Safeway Wireless
Samsung 11Mbps WLAN
Sandisk Connect SDWCFB-000
Seg Communications XI325H
SMC2632W
Sohoware NCP110 Netblaster II
Tekram AIR.mate PCF 200
ZCOMAX AirRunner/XI=300

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

Richard Perkin <f000nurdle@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Lucent Orinoco WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11(b)

This is a pretty good card - I've been using it for years without problems.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us