older laptop wireless access

I have an older laptop (a IBM 380e) that only supports PCMCIA up to
version 2.1. The IBM website also does not mention that it supports
cardbus, so I assume it does not, and that it only supports 16-bit
cards. Is there a card out there that fits that description that will
work with a 802.11b/g network?

Thank you,

Igor
5 answers Last reply
More about older laptop wireless access

    On 20 Sep 2004 06:27:49 -0700, igorramone@yahoo.com (Igor) wrote:

    >I have an older laptop (a IBM 380e) that only supports PCMCIA up to
    >version 2.1. The IBM website also does not mention that it supports
    >cardbus, so I assume it does not, and that it only supports 16-bit
    >cards. Is there a card out there that fits that description that will
    >work with a 802.11b/g network?

    I've got one of those. You will not be able to even insert a CardBus
    card into the slot. You're stuck using only 16 bit cards on this
    laptop. These are not particularly bad cards and are still commonly
    available (Proxim, Orinoco, etc). However, you will not get 802.11g
    high speeds with a 16 bit card. To the best of my limited knowledge,
    nobody makes an 802.11g radio with a 16bit PCMCIA connector.

    An 802.11b card will work in an 802.11g network as long as nobody has
    disabled 802.11b compatibility in the access point. It will also slow
    down the entire network somewhat in order to maintain comptability.
    However, it will work.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    If it has a USB port on it, you might get one of those USB wireless dongles
    from D-link ..I'm sure there are others, but i have one of those.
    The local computer store guys told me they didn't think there were any 16
    bit wireless cards and i certainly haven't seen any but doesn't mean they
    don't exist.
    might try googling ...?

    igorramone@yahoo.com (Igor) wrote in

    > I have an older laptop (a IBM 380e) that only supports PCMCIA up
    > to version 2.1. The IBM website also does not mention that it
    > supports cardbus, so I assume it does not, and that it only
    > supports 16-bit cards. Is there a card out there that fits that
    > description that will work with a 802.11b/g network?

    Yes, hundreds. The following list of wireless cards is snipped from a
    longer list of 16-bit PCMCIA supported by Linux. Google is your
    frind :)

    Bear in mind that many (probably all) are obsolescent. Suggest you
    pick out a couple of names you know/respect, look up and confirm the
    details on the manuactureers' websites and check that you can
    download drivers when you've got your hands on one. Then search
    eBay...

    Aironet PC4500, PC4800
    Cisco 340, 350
    Xircom Wireless Ethernet Adapter
    Breezenet SA-PX
    Xircom CreditCard Netwave
    BUSlink Wireless LAN Adapter
    Raytheon Raylink
    WebGear Aviator 2.4, Aviator Pro
    AT&T / NCR / Lucent WaveLAN version 2.0
    DEC RoamAbout/DS
    3Com AirConnect
    1stWave 1ST-PC-DSS11IS, DSS11IG, DSS11ES, DSS11EG
    Actiontec HWC01170-01/802C12
    Adaptec ANW-8030
    Addtron AWP-100
    Airvast WN-100
    Ambicom WL1100 PC
    ARtem Onair ComCard STD & EMB versions, 128- & 64-bit
    ASUS SpaceLink WL-100
    Avaya World Card
    Belkin F5D6020
    Buffalo WLI-PCM-S11
    Cabletron/Enterasys RoamAbout 802.11 DS
    Compaq WL100, HNW-100
    Conceptronic CON11Cpro
    Corega PCCA-11, PCC-11
    Dell TrueMobile 1150 Series
    D-Link DRC-650, DCF-650W, DWL-660, DCF-660W
    D-Link DWL-650 [older version, NOT new CardBus ones or 650+]
    EagleTec ET-WL300NE-CC
    Efficient SpeedStream SS1021 [old 16-bit, NOT new CardBus ones]
    ELSA AirLancer MC-11
    Ericsson WLAN Card C11
    Farallon SkyLINE
    HP F2136B
    HyperLink Wireless
    IBM High Rate Wireless LAN
    Intel PRO/Wireless 2011
    LA4111 Spectrum24 Wireless LAN
    Linksys WPC11 Instant Wireless [ NOT the CardBus v4 card ]
    Linksys WCF12 Wireless CompactFlash
    Lucent Orinoco WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11(b)
    Melco WLI-PCM-L11, WLI-PCM-L11G
    Microsoft MN-520
    NCR WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11
    Netgear MA401RA
    Nortel Networks eMobility
    PLANEX GeoWave GW-CF110, RoadLannerWave GW-NS11H
    Proxim Harmony 802.11b
    Safeway Wireless
    Samsung 11Mbps WLAN
    Sandisk Connect SDWCFB-000
    Seg Communications XI325H
    SMC2632W
    Sohoware NCP110 Netblaster II
    Tekram AIR.mate PCF 200
    ZCOMAX AirRunner/XI=300

    Hope this helps

    --

    Richard Perkin
    To email me, change the AT in the address below

    is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
    It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

    Richard Perkin <f000nurdle@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > Lucent Orinoco WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11(b)

    This is a pretty good card - I've been using it for years without problems.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:59:38 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
    <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    >On 20 Sep 2004 06:27:49 -0700, igorramone@yahoo.com (Igor) wrote:
    >
    >>I have an older laptop (a IBM 380e) that only supports PCMCIA up to
    >>version 2.1. The IBM website also does not mention that it supports
    >>cardbus, so I assume it does not, and that it only supports 16-bit
    >>cards. Is there a card out there that fits that description that will
    >>work with a 802.11b/g network?
    >
    >I've got one of those. You will not be able to even insert a CardBus
    >card into the slot. You're stuck using only 16 bit cards on this
    >laptop. These are not particularly bad cards and are still commonly
    >available (Proxim, Orinoco, etc). However, you will not get 802.11g
    >high speeds with a 16 bit card. To the best of my limited knowledge,
    >nobody makes an 802.11g radio with a 16bit PCMCIA connector.
    >
    >An 802.11b card will work in an 802.11g network as long as nobody has
    >disabled 802.11b compatibility in the access point. It will also slow
    >down the entire network somewhat in order to maintain comptability.
    >However, it will work.

    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

Laptops Wireless Access IBM Wireless Networking