Hard drive

Because MSFT dose not allow not full hard drive B/u on cd/dvd
Can full hard drive be offloaded to say external USB Hard drive or Tape device
for reboot disaster revovery?

--
Thanks,
ponderxpo

    Windows Backup is not suitable for full system backups.. use something like
    Acronis TrueImage

    http://www.acronis.com/

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "ponderxpo" <ponderxpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Because MSFT dose not allow not full hard drive B/u on cd/dvd
    > Can full hard drive be offloaded to say external USB Hard drive or Tape
    > device
    > for reboot disaster revovery?
    >
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > ponderxpo

    I think Acronis mentions about backing up in a "INCD" thing ...
    What is INCD? Do I have to reconvifure something to "INCD" mode?
    --
    Thanks,
    ponderxpo

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Windows Backup is not suitable for full system backups.. use something like
    > Acronis TrueImage
    >
    > http://www.acronis.com/
    >

    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >

    > "ponderxpo" <ponderxpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Because MSFT dose not allow not full hard drive B/u on cd/dvd
    > > Can full hard drive be offloaded to say external USB Hard drive or Tape
    > > device
    > > for reboot disaster revovery?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Thanks,
    > > ponderxpo

    InCD is the packet writing software from Nero.

    http://www.nero.com/us

    MD

    "ponderxpo" wrote:

    > I think Acronis mentions about backing up in a "INCD" thing ...
    > What is INCD? Do I have to reconvifure something to "INCD" mode?
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > ponderxpo
    >

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Windows Backup is not suitable for full system backups.. use something like
    > > Acronis TrueImage
    > >
    > > http://www.acronis.com/
    > >

    > > --
    > > Mike Hall
    > > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > >

    > > "ponderxpo" <ponderxpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Because MSFT dose not allow not full hard drive B/u on cd/dvd
    > > > Can full hard drive be offloaded to say external USB Hard drive or Tape
    > > > device
    > > > for reboot disaster revovery?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > ponderxpo

    TrueImage will backup or Image your whole HD to another HD and make that
    drive bootable.
    It will also allow you to make incremental backups of certain sections of
    your HD and place that into any directory that you create or it will create
    a special partition which will not show up in Explorer.These files will be
    in an image format.
    It also lets you activate a Recovery Manager that does not need XP to run
    from where you can "restore" that image.
    Images can be burned to a DVD-R/RW disc
    INCD is a program that is usually included in NERO ver 6...........which you
    say you already have..........check!!
    You have posted in every newsgroup here............it is best to stick to
    one and add to it as people who do help will check back but not many will
    bother with the same type of questions in 6 diffferent newsgroups.
    peterk

    >I think Acronis mentions about backing up in a "INCD" thing ...
    > What is INCD? Do I have to reconvifure something to "INCD" mode?
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > ponderxpo
    >

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Windows Backup is not suitable for full system backups.. use something
    >> like
    >> Acronis TrueImage
    >>
    >> http://www.acronis.com/
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>

    >> "ponderxpo" <ponderxpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Because MSFT dose not allow not full hard drive B/u on cd/dvd
    >> > Can full hard drive be offloaded to say external USB Hard drive or Tape
    >> > device
    >> > for reboot disaster revovery?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > ponderxpo

    Petro ... Yes I have Nero full version but I found out that you cant Backup
    full Hard drive to DVD according to Nero Support I had to reconfig my system
    and get a new DVD... The nerve huh?
    Since Im a novice and gullable.
    I thought going to different newsgroups might offer greater diverse help.
    Well I now know so ill try to not to bounce all over.
    Thanks for your info.

    --
    Thanks,
    ponderxpo

    "peterk" wrote:

    > TrueImage will backup or Image your whole HD to another HD and make that
    > drive bootable.
    > It will also allow you to make incremental backups of certain sections of
    > your HD and place that into any directory that you create or it will create
    > a special partition which will not show up in Explorer.These files will be
    > in an image format.
    > It also lets you activate a Recovery Manager that does not need XP to run
    > from where you can "restore" that image.
    > Images can be burned to a DVD-R/RW disc
    > INCD is a program that is usually included in NERO ver 6...........which you
    > say you already have..........check!!
    > You have posted in every newsgroup here............it is best to stick to
    > one and add to it as people who do help will check back but not many will
    > bother with the same type of questions in 6 diffferent newsgroups.
    > peterk
    >

    > --
    > Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    > "ponderxpo" <ponderxpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I think Acronis mentions about backing up in a "INCD" thing ...
    > > What is INCD? Do I have to reconvifure something to "INCD" mode?
    > > --
    > > Thanks,
    > > ponderxpo
    > >

    > > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Windows Backup is not suitable for full system backups.. use something
    > >> like
    > >> Acronis TrueImage
    > >>
    > >> http://www.acronis.com/
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Mike Hall
    > >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > >>

    > >> "ponderxpo" <ponderxpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Your welcome
    TrueImage is a good investment to make..............it has saved my bacon a
    few times.
    With the low price of HD nowadays it is fairly reasonable cost to purchase
    one and using TrueImage image your HD to the new one and then remove the new
    one and keep in a safe place.Every once in awhile reconnect the new drive
    and reimage
    When(not IF) something goes wrong and you cant boot,you simply unplug the HD
    and install the imaged drive and your up and running in minutes.
    peterk

    > Petro ... Yes I have Nero full version but I found out that you cant
    > Backup
    > full Hard drive to DVD according to Nero Support I had to reconfig my
    > system
    > and get a new DVD... The nerve huh?
    > Since Im a novice and gullable.
    > I thought going to different newsgroups might offer greater diverse help.
    > Well I now know so ill try to not to bounce all over.
    > Thanks for your info.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks,
    > ponderxpo
    >

    > "peterk" wrote:
    >
    >> TrueImage will backup or Image your whole HD to another HD and make that
    >> drive bootable.
    >> It will also allow you to make incremental backups of certain sections of
    >> your HD and place that into any directory that you create or it will
    >> create
    >> a special partition which will not show up in Explorer.These files will
    >> be
    >> in an image format.
    >> It also lets you activate a Recovery Manager that does not need XP to run
    >> from where you can "restore" that image.
    >> Images can be burned to a DVD-R/RW disc
    >> INCD is a program that is usually included in NERO ver 6...........which
    >> you
    >> say you already have..........check!!
    >> You have posted in every newsgroup here............it is best to stick to
    >> one and add to it as people who do help will check back but not many will
    >> bother with the same type of questions in 6 diffferent newsgroups.
    >> peterk
    >>

    >> --
    >> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    >> "ponderxpo" <ponderxpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I think Acronis mentions about backing up in a "INCD" thing ...
    >> > What is INCD? Do I have to reconvifure something to "INCD" mode?
    >> > --
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > ponderxpo

    Peterk ... I concur about aAonis and will consider a hard external hard drive
    that Mike Hall (MS-MVP) mentioned ... WD duel option or Master 1 touch II

    In between the clutter I listen to you guys.
    --
    Thanks,
    ponderxpo

    "peterk" wrote:

    > Your welcome
    > TrueImage is a good investment to make..............it has saved my bacon a
    > few times.
    > With the low price of HD nowadays it is fairly reasonable cost to purchase
    > one and using TrueImage image your HD to the new one and then remove the new
    > one and keep in a safe place.Every once in awhile reconnect the new drive
    > and reimage
    > When(not IF) something goes wrong and you cant boot,you simply unplug the HD
    > and install the imaged drive and your up and running in minutes.
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    > "ponderxpo" <ponderxpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Petro ... Yes I have Nero full version but I found out that you cant
    > > Backup
    > > full Hard drive to DVD according to Nero Support I had to reconfig my
    > > system
    > > and get a new DVD... The nerve huh?
    > > Since Im a novice and gullable.
    > > I thought going to different newsgroups might offer greater diverse help.
    > > Well I now know so ill try to not to bounce all over.
    > > Thanks for your info.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Thanks,
    > > ponderxpo
    > >

    > > "peterk" wrote:
    > >
    > >> TrueImage will backup or Image your whole HD to another HD and make that
    > >> drive bootable.
    > >> It will also allow you to make incremental backups of certain sections of
    > >> your HD and place that into any directory that you create or it will
    > >> create
    > >> a special partition which will not show up in Explorer.These files will
    > >> be
    > >> in an image format.
    > >> It also lets you activate a Recovery Manager that does not need XP to run
    > >> from where you can "restore" that image.
    > >> Images can be burned to a DVD-R/RW disc
    > >> INCD is a program that is usually included in NERO ver 6...........which
    > >> you
    > >> say you already have..........check!!
    > >> You have posted in every newsgroup here............it is best to stick to
    > >> one and add to it as people who do help will check back but not many will
    > >> bother with the same type of questions in 6 diffferent newsgroups.
    > >> peterk
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    > >> "ponderxpo" <ponderxpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    It doesn't even have to be external.........it can be hooked up as a
    slave,imaged and then removed.
    any old HD will do this
    cost less
    peterk

    > Peterk ... I concur about aAonis and will consider a hard external hard
    > drive
    > that Mike Hall (MS-MVP) mentioned ... WD duel option or Master 1 touch II
    >
    > In between the clutter I listen to you guys.
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > ponderxpo
    >

    > "peterk" wrote:
    >
    >> Your welcome
    >> TrueImage is a good investment to make..............it has saved my bacon
    >> few times.
    >> With the low price of HD nowadays it is fairly reasonable cost to
    >> purchase
    >> one and using TrueImage image your HD to the new one and then remove the
    >> new
    >> one and keep in a safe place.Every once in awhile reconnect the new drive
    >> and reimage
    >> When(not IF) something goes wrong and you cant boot,you simply unplug the
    >> HD
    >> and install the imaged drive and your up and running in minutes.
    >> peterk
    >>
    >> --
    >> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    >> "ponderxpo" <ponderxpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Petro ... Yes I have Nero full version but I found out that you cant
    >> > Backup
    >> > full Hard drive to DVD according to Nero Support I had to reconfig my
    >> > system
    >> > and get a new DVD... The nerve huh?
    >> > Since Im a novice and gullable.
    >> > I thought going to different newsgroups might offer greater diverse
    >> > help.
    >> > Well I now know so ill try to not to bounce all over.
    >> > Thanks for your info.
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > ponderxpo

    Question
    I went to Maxtor Page ...
    http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=966

    "Can I boot to the USB Personal Storage as the primary drive?
    Answer
    The Microsoft Windows operating system families (98SE,ME,2000,XP) do not
    support USB2 as a boot drive or primary system drive. "

    Now I get another curv ball ... about rebooting from from external hard drive.
    I like the idea obout rebooting from external in case PC flops out.

    Whats with this Maxtor or MSFT? Can we reboot or Not?
    Dose nonsupport mean " Save money on my car insurance I can do it?

    I was going good today until I got on pc for one more TRIP

    --
    Thanks,
    ponderxpo

    "peterk" wrote:

    > It doesn't even have to be external.........it can be hooked up as a
    > slave,imaged and then removed.
    > any old HD will do this
    > cost less
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    > "ponderxpo" <ponderxpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Peterk ... I concur about aAonis and will consider a hard external hard
    > > drive
    > > that Mike Hall (MS-MVP) mentioned ... WD duel option or Master 1 touch II
    > >
    > > In between the clutter I listen to you guys.
    > > --
    > > Thanks,
    > > ponderxpo
    > >

    > > "peterk" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Your welcome
    > >> TrueImage is a good investment to make..............it has saved my bacon
    > >> few times.
    > >> With the low price of HD nowadays it is fairly reasonable cost to
    > >> purchase
    > >> one and using TrueImage image your HD to the new one and then remove the
    > >> new
    > >> one and keep in a safe place.Every once in awhile reconnect the new drive
    > >> and reimage
    > >> When(not IF) something goes wrong and you cant boot,you simply unplug the
    > >> HD
    > >> and install the imaged drive and your up and running in minutes.
    > >> peterk
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    > >> "ponderxpo" <ponderxpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    You can NOT boot Windows XP from an external hard drive.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner
    "If you knew as much as you think you know,

    > Question
    > I went to Maxtor Page ...
    > http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=966
    >
    > "Can I boot to the USB Personal Storage as the primary drive?
    > Answer
    > The Microsoft Windows operating system families (98SE,ME,2000,XP) do not
    > support USB2 as a boot drive or primary system drive. "
    >
    > Now I get another curv ball ... about rebooting from from external hard
    > drive.
    > I like the idea obout rebooting from external in case PC flops out.
    >
    > Whats with this Maxtor or MSFT? Can we reboot or Not?
    > Dose nonsupport mean " Save money on my car insurance I can do it?
    >
    > I was going good today until I got on pc for one more TRIP
    >
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > ponderxpo
    >

    > "peterk" wrote:
    >
    >> It doesn't even have to be external.........it can be hooked up as a
    >> slave,imaged and then removed.
    >> any old HD will do this
    >> cost less
    >> peterk
    >>
    >> --
    >> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    >> "ponderxpo" <ponderxpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Peterk ... I concur about aAonis and will consider a hard external hard
    >> > drive
    >> > that Mike Hall (MS-MVP) mentioned ... WD duel option or Master 1 touch
    >> > II
    >> >
    >> > In between the clutter I listen to you guys.
    >> > --
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > ponderxpo

    So Now whats left rebooting from another internal hard drive?
    Is that the last straw from Recovery of total hard drive?

    Or maybe Im thinking rebooting is same as full(mirror image) hard drive
    restore/recovery?
    THe main reason I posted was to find a solution so total "C" Harddrive can b
    e restored ( that includes win X2 Pro as well as all other prog apps/data)

    Acronis, BootNG, ....etc claim they have reboot powers for hard drives so
    this led me to believe what others were recommending. But Now some
    manufactures exclude externals using Firewire& USB.

    I have a custum built PC w/ complicated extras pluss software I don't even
    know were it came from.
    It would take me quite a long time to recover with out a good recovery system
    Can you offer any good solutions that allow me to recovery quite easly in
    case my "C" drive or PC has problems?

    I hope this is the end of the trail ...
    --
    Thanks,
    ponderxpo

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

    > You can NOT boot Windows XP from an external hard drive.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    > "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >
    > "ponderxpo" <ponderxpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Question
    > > I went to Maxtor Page ...
    > > http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=966
    > >
    > > "Can I boot to the USB Personal Storage as the primary drive?
    > > Answer
    > > The Microsoft Windows operating system families (98SE,ME,2000,XP) do not
    > > support USB2 as a boot drive or primary system drive. "
    > >
    > > Now I get another curv ball ... about rebooting from from external hard
    > > drive.
    > > I like the idea obout rebooting from external in case PC flops out.
    > >
    > > Whats with this Maxtor or MSFT? Can we reboot or Not?
    > > Dose nonsupport mean " Save money on my car insurance I can do it?
    > >
    > > I was going good today until I got on pc for one more TRIP
    > >
    > > --
    > > Thanks,
    > > ponderxpo
    > >

    > > "peterk" wrote:
    > >
    > >> It doesn't even have to be external.........it can be hooked up as a
    > >> slave,imaged and then removed.
    > >> any old HD will do this
    > >> cost less
    > >> peterk
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    > >> "ponderxpo" <ponderxpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Ponder

    I don't remember suggesting an external hard drive, but I did suggest
    Acronis.. reports on it are good, but I never use anything like that
    personally, preferring to do a fresh install in the event of serious
    problems..

    With Windows Backup, it is possible to do create a backup of important stuff
    to the hard drive and then use Nero or other CD writing software to transfer
    it to CD/DVD.. to be honest, it is quicker just to save stuff to CD using
    Nero and forget about Windows Backup.. this program has its uses, but in
    times past, backups made by a previous version of Windows have tended not to
    be usable by the next version, that is to say, W95 backups could not be
    utilised in W98..

    The one important factor in any backup is that it has to be updated to
    reflect current running.. a system backed up just after the initial install
    would still require that all programs installed initially would have to be
    re-installed.. doing backups at any point thereafter could well carry hidden
    problems forward.. that is why I always clean install..

    I utilise two hard drives, saving all important documents and personal stuff
    to the slave drive.. of course, a hard drive can fail at any time, but slave
    drives do not get the daily workout that a primary boot drive gets..
    archived material, documents or groups of whatever that are not likely to
    change, for example a once in a lifetime trip to Australia, get saved to CD
    and left on the drive for easy access..

    I will readily admit that my way takes longer, but it is amazing how much
    one installs a second time compared to the flotsam and jetsam picked up
    initially..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "ponderxpo" <ponderxpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Peterk ... I concur about aAonis and will consider a hard external hard
    > drive
    > that Mike Hall (MS-MVP) mentioned ... WD duel option or Master 1 touch II
    >
    > In between the clutter I listen to you guys.
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > ponderxpo
    >

    > "peterk" wrote:
    >
    >> Your welcome
    >> TrueImage is a good investment to make..............it has saved my bacon
    >> few times.
    >> With the low price of HD nowadays it is fairly reasonable cost to
    >> purchase
    >> one and using TrueImage image your HD to the new one and then remove the
    >> new
    >> one and keep in a safe place.Every once in awhile reconnect the new drive
    >> and reimage
    >> When(not IF) something goes wrong and you cant boot,you simply unplug the
    >> HD
    >> and install the imaged drive and your up and running in minutes.
    >> peterk
    >>
    >> --
    >> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    >> "ponderxpo" <ponderxpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Petro ... Yes I have Nero full version but I found out that you cant
    >> > Backup
    >> > full Hard drive to DVD according to Nero Support I had to reconfig my
    >> > system
    >> > and get a new DVD... The nerve huh?
    >> > Since Im a novice and gullable.
    >> > I thought going to different newsgroups might offer greater diverse
    >> > help.
    >> > Well I now know so ill try to not to bounce all over.
    >> > Thanks for your info.
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > ponderxpo

    Thank you all ... I have come to the end of my ummm backup-end of the full
    trail.
    Reboot/Recovery/Restore/Reimage/Reclone ..... and Redone!
    --
    Thanks,
    ponderxpo

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> [...]
    > > ponderxpo
    > >

    > > "peterk" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Your welcome
    > >> TrueImage is a good investment to make..............it has saved my bacon
    > >> few times.
    > >> With the low price of HD nowadays it is fairly reasonable cost to
    > >> purchase
    > >> one and using TrueImage image your HD to the new one and then remove the
    > >> new
    > >> one and keep in a safe place.Every once in awhile reconnect the new drive
    > >> and reimage
    > >> When(not IF) something goes wrong and you cant boot,you simply unplug the
    > >> HD
    > >> and install the imaged drive and your up and running in minutes.
    > >> peterk
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    > So Now whats left rebooting from another internal hard drive?
    > Is that the last straw from Recovery of total hard drive?

    You can boot from a WinXP CD.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Ponder
    I use 2 hard drives plus one for cloning the boot drive.Once I have cloned
    the boot drive where XP resides using Acronis TrueImage I remove this drive
    and keep it in a safe place.If or when I have a major problem and XP will
    not boot I remove that HD and install the cloned drive in its
    place..........it boots without problems.I update that image about every 2
    weeks.
    I also use trueimage for backing up partitions.......to a secure zone that
    Acronis TrueImage creates.
    For normal work files type backups I just use the XP backup program backing
    up to a formatted DVD-RW....using INCD from Nero to format the disc
    first.....this also works with CD-RW.
    You of course need to find what works for you................
    peterk

    > Thank you all ... I have come to the end of my ummm backup-end of the full
    > trail.
    > Reboot/Recovery/Restore/Reimage/Reclone ..... and Redone!
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > ponderxpo
    >

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Ponder
    >>
    >> I don't remember suggesting an external hard drive, but I did suggest
    >> Acronis.. reports on it are good, but I never use anything like that
    >> personally, preferring to do a fresh install in the event of serious
    >> problems..
    >>
    >> With Windows Backup, it is possible to do create a backup of important
    >> stuff
    >> to the hard drive and then use Nero or other CD writing software to
    >> transfer
    >> it to CD/DVD.. to be honest, it is quicker just to save stuff to CD using
    >> Nero and forget about Windows Backup.. this program has its uses, but in
    >> times past, backups made by a previous version of Windows have tended not
    >> be usable by the next version, that is to say, W95 backups could not be
    >> utilised in W98..
    >>
    >> The one important factor in any backup is that it has to be updated to
    >> reflect current running.. a system backed up just after the initial
    >> install
    >> would still require that all programs installed initially would have to
    >> be
    >> re-installed.. doing backups at any point thereafter could well carry
    >> hidden
    >> problems forward.. that is why I always clean install..
    >>
    >> I utilise two hard drives, saving all important documents and personal
    >> stuff
    >> to the slave drive.. of course, a hard drive can fail at any time, but
    >> slave
    >> drives do not get the daily workout that a primary boot drive gets..
    >> archived material, documents or groups of whatever that are not likely to
    >> change, for example a once in a lifetime trip to Australia, get saved to
    >> CD
    >> and left on the drive for easy access..
    >>
    >> I will readily admit that my way takes longer, but it is amazing how much
    >> one installs a second time compared to the flotsam and jetsam picked up
    >> initially..
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>

    >> "ponderxpo" <ponderxpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Peterk ... I concur about aAonis and will consider a hard external hard
    >> > drive
    >> > that Mike Hall (MS-MVP) mentioned ... WD duel option or Master 1 touch
    >> > II
    >> >
    >> > In between the clutter I listen to you guys.
    >> > --
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > ponderxpo

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Peterk ... The clone drive - was that a ' simple removable drive slide-pull
    out drive' or you had to open pc unit & disassemble the unit ?

    I Only have one Partition (thats enough problems for me).
    Would you recomend on the clone for backing up my one & only partition
    "C".......to a secure zone that Acronis TrueImage creates?

    For normal files I am backing up w/ Nero to DVD-R.

    On help support Info I have read a lil on MSFT: system recovery, restores
    to same or alt area, dir, vol, agents, passwords, safe zones,advanced,
    experience, ... etc . Im not touching that stuff!

    Yes I will be thinking about a 2nd (clone) drive.
    Do you recomend Both HD drives have same size gig capacity?
    By the way do you have to let your system know the clone device is out
    resting for two weeks?

    Hopefully out of the volcano ........ Thanks and thanks to all especially
    the ones who were shaking there heads.

    ponderxpo

    "peterk" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> be
    > >> re-installed.. doing backups at any point thereafter could well carry
    > >> hidden
    > >> problems forward.. that is why I always clean install..
    > >>
    > >> I utilise two hard drives, saving all important documents and personal
    > >> stuff
    > >> to the slave drive.. of course, a hard drive can fail at any time, but
    > >> slave
    > >> drives do not get the daily workout that a primary boot drive gets..
    > >> archived material, documents or groups of whatever that are not likely to
    > >> change, for example a once in a lifetime trip to Australia, get saved to
    > >> CD
    > >> and left on the drive for easy access..
    > >>
    > >> I will readily admit that my way takes longer, but it is amazing how much
    > >> one installs a second time compared to the flotsam and jetsam picked up

Microsoft Hard Drives External USB Windows XP Product