Sign in with
Your question
Solved

All games crash and have Blue Screen!!! HELP!!!

Last response: in Video Games
December 4, 2009 10:59:17 AM

Hello guys!
I just built a new computer and after done building it correctly following all the instructions it ran well until I tried playing games. I tried every games I tried GTA IV, Star Wars the Force Unleashed, NFS Carbon, NFS Most wanted, Left 4 Dead, and Crysis. Each and every one of the games gets Blue screens after playing a minute or so and I want to find a fix I hope you guys could help me. would appreciate all replies.
Specs:
Asus P5Q SE2 MoBo
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66GHz 45nm
4GB DDR2 Kingston Memory RAM 1066MHz
500GB IDE ATA Seagate
ATi Sapphire Radeon HD4770 512MB GDDR5 750MHz clock speed 800MHz core speed not crossfired 40nm
500W PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (not beta)
If any of you out there have ever experienced this problem and found a fix please post it here!
Thanks!

December 4, 2009 11:24:27 AM

What is the string on the error message? As in does your computer just blue screen and reboot or blue screen and get stuck? Have you tried running a memory test on it?

Best solution

December 4, 2009 11:37:28 AM

It may be an psu problem.

I would advice upgrading your psu to a 600w+

Thats if your not planing on using crossfire,if planing on using crossfire for the future get at least an 750/800w psu....
Related resources
December 4, 2009 11:39:32 AM

The reason i think it may be an psu problem is because you get the bsod after trying to play all games,your graphics card needs a lot of power more than the 500w will give you.....
December 4, 2009 12:27:47 PM

cappster said:
What is the string on the error message? As in does your computer just blue screen and reboot or blue screen and get stuck? Have you tried running a memory test on it?

I don't remember the error message but it just gets bluescreen and reboots..

thanks for the reply.
December 4, 2009 12:29:56 PM

shadyadi32 said:
The reason i think it may be an psu problem is because you get the bsod after trying to play all games,your graphics card needs a lot of power more than the 500w will give you.....

I'll look into that more because that's also what I think the problem is since most storekeepers which don't sell the brand of these PSU says that this brand suck and don't give pure power like max power 500W but the real power is only 350W but I'm still not sure about this though but thanks for the reply!
December 4, 2009 12:38:34 PM

I had a cheap 450w power supply that came with the case I purchased about 4 years ago. I was running a P4 with a 6600gt and three days into running it, while playing BF2, the dammed thing popped on me. Luckily, it didn't take anything with it, but power supply is something I would also check into also.
December 5, 2009 2:24:54 AM

cappster said:
I had a cheap 450w power supply that came with the case I purchased about 4 years ago. I was running a P4 with a 6600gt and three days into running it, while playing BF2, the dammed thing popped on me. Luckily, it didn't take anything with it, but power supply is something I would also check into also.

I also bought a new case and got 450W PSU and with this thing the PSU only costs 5$ extra for the PSU.
December 5, 2009 2:44:01 AM

Ok here is what you can do, try and turn off the pc, then open the case and perform a "RAM pull"(removing the RAM cards for 2 minutes and then re-installing them back) It worked for me, I had the same problem with Crysis Warhead and did the RAM pull and it worked again. The reason is because all the processes are performed in the RAM. If there is an error left in it (even when its off) you will continue to experience the issue over and over again untill you do what I just told you. Unless its a hardware malfunction this should help. Good luck and let me know if it worked.

-------------------------------------------------
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 @3.33ghz
Nvidia GTX 260 FOC 856mb @666mhz
750PSU, 4gb RAM DDR2 @800mhz
--------------------------------------------------
December 5, 2009 3:46:36 AM

importuner said:
Ok here is what you can do, try and turn off the pc, then open the case and perform a "RAM pull"(removing the RAM cards for 2 minutes and then re-installing them back) It worked for me, I had the same problem with Crysis Warhead and did the RAM pull and it worked again. The reason is because all the processes are performed in the RAM. If there is an error left in it (even when its off) you will continue to experience the issue over and over again untill you do what I just told you. Unless its a hardware malfunction this should help. Good luck and let me know if it worked.

-------------------------------------------------
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 @3.33ghz
Nvidia GTX 260 FOC 856mb @666mhz
750PSU, 4gb RAM DDR2 @800mhz
--------------------------------------------------

Okay, I tried it, the issue still happened and just to let you know that this is a brand new computer so I don't think it should be any of the hardware but the PSU is about 1 month old, I guess I'm gonna move this 500W to my other comp whch has 350 w psu and p4 and get me a new one either 600 or 800 w for my quad core one thanks for all your help and I'm gonna report back soon.
December 5, 2009 5:18:59 AM

This does sound RAM related because of the nature of the BSOD this could possibly be a faulty row in one of your sticks or it could be a Vdroop issue. I would run Memtest first and foremost to make sure you didn't get a faulty stick, also consider systematically removing DIMMS from their sockets and attempting to run your games with single DIMMS this will help you narrow down which may be a problem.

I have zero doubt that the supply is where you skimped on the cash on this build but it may have been a mistake, if your voltages are dropping considerably your RAM may be getting fed unstable voltages and this would most certainly cause a crash.
December 5, 2009 7:44:14 AM

Ok my memory has no problem and I just bought a 600W Silverstone Element PSU and all games work well and no crashes so thanks for all the replies guys I appreciate ur maybe I'll see your posts again in some threads once again THANKS!
December 5, 2009 10:38:27 PM

Glad you sorted the problem yuuo123......

I thought it was the psu not giving you enough juice......
!