Closed

Will windows 7 run diablo 2 lord of destruction

Last response: in Video Games
a b $ Windows 7
December 5, 2009 12:55:36 AM

Yes it will.

Score
December 31, 2009 11:59:35 PM

Yes but will it run without crashing? The windows 7 'Compatibility Wizard' is pretty darn insistent that it could cause the computer to become unstable.. I've checked the Blizzard.com site & Battle.net site for any patches &/or fixes for this problem, but to no avail. Also I've updated to the most recent patch available through battle.net, but the patch details don't mention anything about this problem....
Score
Related resources
January 23, 2010 3:02:33 PM

TheViper said:
Yes it will.

Is that with Windows 7 64?
Score
January 23, 2010 8:01:29 PM

Quote:
will windows 7 run diablo 2 lord of destruction

Over the last few months I've been playing Diablo II LoD on my notebook with Windows 7 32 bit Home Premium with no problems what so ever. I can't say the same for 64 bit as I have no experience with it. Hope this helps.
Score
January 25, 2010 9:44:35 AM

I installed D2 on my win7 x64 ultimate. once installed, just download the latest patch from Blizzard...Voila... and it works fine.
Score
January 29, 2010 1:56:32 PM

y cant i play d2 on my mac is show (mac osx and other applications are not affected) wat tat mean pls help me thanks
Score
March 26, 2010 5:16:38 PM

I had it working before and I have no clue how.

Running win 7 64 bit.
Diablo 1.13 legit.

I am running an i7, 12 gigs of ram and dual gtx275's

WAY overkill for the game but there is only one fix that has worked but not very well. with the -w switch for windowed mode.

The game looks horrid in 2d. which is the only way it will run.

If i try d3d in full screen the mouse cursor even on game launch is painfully slow and playing is impossible 100%.

It may as well crash. thats basically what I have to do to end it.

I had it once.. I really wish I knew what I did.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 31, 2010 1:20:37 PM

I just picked this up last night because Gamestop was having a sale on many things and I got this for $20.

I definitely had to do a few things. First, I had to set the game.exe to run in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode. I also had to turn off desktop composition.

Launching seems REALLY slow. I wonder if I should set the affinity to one cpu possibly? Anyways, once it launches, the graphics are corrupted (almost like seeing a color negative) upon launching. Once I hit ESC, that fixes it, but even in the game, I can see some corruption of the screen in various areas.

How do I set this to run in D3D mode? I'm assuming it's in Direct Draw mode right now. I'll also try the -window switch tonight to see if that helps.

UPDATE: Well, found a posting that describes a fix for it. I'll have to try it when I get home tonight. Apparently, running the following program should fix it. I'm assuming this is how I set it to D3D mode?

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\D2VidTst.exe"
Score
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
April 23, 2010 7:02:05 AM

isamuelson said:
I just picked this up last night because Gamestop was having a sale on many things and I got this for $20.

I definitely had to do a few things. First, I had to set the game.exe to run in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode. I also had to turn off desktop composition.

Launching seems REALLY slow. I wonder if I should set the affinity to one cpu possibly? Anyways, once it launches, the graphics are corrupted (almost like seeing a color negative) upon launching. Once I hit ESC, that fixes it, but even in the game, I can see some corruption of the screen in various areas.

How do I set this to run in D3D mode? I'm assuming it's in Direct Draw mode right now. I'll also try the -window switch tonight to see if that helps.

UPDATE: Well, found a posting that describes a fix for it. I'll have to try it when I get home tonight. Apparently, running the following program should fix it. I'm assuming this is how I set it to D3D mode?

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\D2VidTst.exe"

hello isamuelson . . i got the same problem . . when you run the file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\D2VidTst.exe" did it solve the problem? did it work? . . . Thanks
Score
a b $ Windows 7
April 23, 2010 11:55:02 AM

Quote:
hello isamuelson . . i got the same problem . . when you run the file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\D2VidTst.exe" did it solve the problem? did it work? . . . Thanks

Yup. That fixed it.
Score
May 20, 2010 4:13:28 PM

staalkoppie said:
I installed D2 on my win7 x64 ultimate. once installed, just download the latest patch from Blizzard...Voila... and it works fine.

hello, about the patch thing...how does it work?...i already downloaded it and i don't know how to use it...plss teach me,,,thnx :) 
Score
May 20, 2010 5:12:11 PM

I have played it on my Win7 Ultimate 64-bit computer with the latest patches without a problem and no need to use the compatibility wizard.
Score
May 20, 2010 9:41:25 PM

darkangel_faith2001 said:
hello, about the patch thing...how does it work?...i already downloaded it and i don't know how to use it...plss teach me,,,thnx :) 

You could run the setup, or open D2 and click on battle.net and it will auto-update and patch.
Score
June 1, 2010 7:11:49 PM

Hey, i have another question.

I installed Diablo II + LOD on my laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate 64.
Installing was no problem, but it didn't let me play.

Always saying that there wasn't a disc in the drive...while it was in it ...
Can anyone help me out ?

Score
a b $ Windows 7
June 1, 2010 7:23:05 PM

howie1987 said:

Can anyone help me out ?

It's the original retail discs, right?

Score
June 1, 2010 7:55:17 PM

yes they are the original discs
Score
June 2, 2010 5:28:12 PM

howie1987 said:

Can anyone help me out ?

I don't believe you are fully up to date then, one of the more recent patches pretty much does nothing are then enabling you to play without the disks.
Score
June 2, 2010 5:40:05 PM

bildo123 said:
I don't believe you are fully up to date then, one of the more recent patches pretty much does nothing are then enabling you to play without the disks.

but how can I update, when I can't open the game ?
just install the patches manually ?

grts
Score
a b $ Windows 7
June 2, 2010 5:40:53 PM

howie1987 said:
but how can I update, when I can't open the game ?
just install the patches manually ?

grts

Yup. Download the install file and run it.
Score
February 29, 2012 2:36:38 AM

Can anyone please help?

I just bought the game again, once i try to install it the 'please insert diablo 2 play disc' pop up appears but when it gets to 54% it asks for the LoD disc again. and when i put it in the computer the autoplay pop up appears so obviously the computer reads the disc but the installation takes no notice of it and wont continue the installation.

thanks guys
Score
March 2, 2012 11:20:15 PM

Mason91 said:
Can anyone please help?

I just bought the game again, once i try to install it the 'please insert diablo 2 play disc' pop up appears but when it gets to 54% it asks for the LoD disc again. and when i put it in the computer the autoplay pop up appears so obviously the computer reads the disc but the installation takes no notice of it and wont continue the installation.

thanks guys

I would create an account at Battle.net and then register your Diablo II and D2 LOD CD keys to your account. Then you can simply download the client directly from Blizzard and install it without relying on outdated CDs.

When running in Win7 I've found that running in Windows 98/ME compatibility mode allows use of the scroll wheel as well.
Score
!