Linus

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

Have a new XP Pro OS, set up for three users, no network or domain, the
problem exists only for one user.

After I set up a new user account It didn't have any sound. The volume
control icon is not on the taskbar and in the control panel, when I checked
"Audio devices properties," on the volume tab there is no check mark in
"Place volume control in the taskbar." Problem is that everything on that tab
is grayed out except for "OK" and "Cancel" so I can't check the checkbox.

There are four other tabs there, the Audio & Voice tabs are also gray, the
Sounds & Hardware tabs look normal. Can any one give me some help with this?
--
Linusverl

You need to copy the "sndvol32.exe" file from your Windows XP installation
CD to the System32 folder by performing the following steps:

Start a command session by clicking on the Start button then clicking on Run.
In the Run box type CMD then click OK

Navigate to your CD drive by typing:

cd d:

or whichever drive letter your CD drive is listed under
press Enter

Navigate to the i386 folder by typing:

cd i386
Press Enter
Expand the sndvol32.ex_ file by typing
expand -r sndvol32.ex_ %systemroot%\system32

Press Enter

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Linus" wrote:

| Have a new XP Pro OS, set up for three users, no network or domain, the
| problem exists only for one user.
|
| After I set up a new user account It didn't have any sound. The volume
| control icon is not on the taskbar and in the control panel, when I checked
| "Audio devices properties," on the volume tab there is no check mark in
| "Place volume control in the taskbar." Problem is that everything on that tab
| is grayed out except for "OK" and "Cancel" so I can't check the checkbox.
|
| There are four other tabs there, the Audio & Voice tabs are also gray, the
| Sounds & Hardware tabs look normal. Can any one give me some help with this?
| --
| Linusverl

Linus

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

Thank you Carey Frisch:

Your instructions were clear and easy to understand and I managed to do it
right on my second attempt. Sound is fine now and problem is solved.

I appreciate your help.
Linusverl