Need help Asus p4p800 dlxe first build

dragon

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
Hi everyone, I hope someone here might be able to help me, I am building my first computer using some things from my old dell

Asus p4p800 refurbished board from newegg
crucial 256 3200ddr X2 in dual channel
Radeon 8500LE 128 mb vid card
New west digital 80gb HD 7200prm ultra100ata
floppy-from old dell
dvd/cd-rom drive from old dell
dell trinitron 17"monitor
I put it in a 350w noblesse ahanix case, <has p4 atx power setup>
2 front case fans, one larger tornado case fan off back

Ok the problem is I set it all up and turned it on and It seems to fail the power up test. No beeps from motherboard. But all case fans and cpu fan are operating, the front reset and Power led's are on, the light at bottom of board is on showing board is on. The monitor does not go on though and I dont see light on floppy drive on. Does anyone ahve any idea what the problem is? I tried calling Asus support and they took my number but havent called back. Now they are closed until monday 8(. I thuoght maybe the video card wouldnt work on this board, but when i looked it up it said it was 1.5v at 4X agp. The specs for p4p800 board say it will take a 1.5v card. I looked through posts in graphic card section and the 2x/4x agp cards should work from what I could gather there? I tried to double check the jumpers and they all seem to be in default settings. Any other ideas? please help, been waiting along time to set this up and now I am deeply stuck....
thank you

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
i JUST HAD THE SAME (SOUNDING) PROBLEM WITH INSTALLING MY NEW P4C800 TURNED OUT THAT i HAD PUT ONE TOO MANY STANDOFFS ON THE CASE AND AS A FAILSAFE FOR A SHORT CIRCUIT THE BOARD GAVE ME THE SAME SYMPTOMS LOOK FOR THE BOTTOM OF THE BOARD TOUCHING SOMETHING OR TAKE IT OUT OF THE CASE PUT IT ON A TOWEL OR SIMILAR TO INSULATE IT AND TRY TO GET IT STARTED OUT OF THE CASE. oh crap !! I wasn't looking and I'm far to lazy the retype it :evil: sorry for the caps

<b><font color=red>Just because you are ignoring those voices in your head doesn't mean they aren't talking about you</b></font color=red>

stanleyding

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2003
Be sure to connect your monitor's D-sub male connector has been rightly connected to the VGA's female connector!!

CPU Pentium VI 2.66GHz
Mainboard MSI 865PE Neo2 - LS
Video Card Leadtek A280 Le TD DDR 256MB
Hard Disk Maxtor DiamandMax9 80GB Buffer 8MB & W.D. 40GB Buffer 8MB

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The tow most common causes are a misplaced mounting post (standoff) grounding the back of the board, or a reversed IDE cable. Your first attempt at booting shouldn't even have the drives connected to the board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, I almost forgot, there's a post at the top of this forum called "Motherboards FAQ" you might like to read.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dragon

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
I have the monitor connected through the agp card, have tried adjusting the connection many times to make sure its ok, same problems continue
thanks

dragon

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
Ok well i took the whole board out onto a towel as suggested, tired starting up again with same results, tried it with no ide drives with no change. I tried starting with just one stick of the 256mb crucial ram at a time- no changes with either stick of ram. Any other ideas as to what might be going on? power light on board always goes on and front led's on but wont start up, tried checking to make sure processor seated ok, seems fine.
thanks for your ideas

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
sounds like a short or broken trace somewhere you might need to replace the board :(

<b><font color=red>Just because you are ignoring those voices in your head doesn't mean they aren't talking about you</b></font color=red>

jugghead23

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
I am having the same exact problem. Crashman, I looked at your faq.

at this point I've scaled all the way back (disconnected all drives etc). I'm getting absolutely no post message at all.
The book for the P4P800 Deluxe says use 9 standoffs (3-3-3). One question I have is all the standoffs are brass, yet I don't have any brass screws that came with my case (well none that fit into the standoffs).

Anyway, all the standoffs line up perfectly.
So the mobo is screwed down, memory is installed, cpu installed with hsf, the only connections are the ATXPWR1 20-pin connector and the ATX12V1 4-pin connector. Oh, and the front panel atx connectors (Power SW, Reset SW etc).

I'm lost. the last time I built a computer was a few years ago and it was a snap. someone please, suggestions?