Bonnie

Here is my dilemma: I got an old Compaq Armada 1592 from my Mom. It
has sat around for about a year, I simply didn't need it. But now
since my "old reliable" melted down, this computer is looking very
appealing .
First I was surprised to see a Win Xp screen appear, as this
computer is pretty old. So I asked Mom. Mom doesn't know XP from
A&P. She says she had it "fixed, upgraded, etc" a couple times,
beyond that, she is clueless.
Then, screen said password expired, enter old password, then
the new password. I entered what Mom says was her old password, tried
all sorts of combinations of upper case, lower case, nada. I thought
I could just bypass that screen and start as new user, but apparently
not.
Help! Thanks for any thoughts....... Bonnie

Malke

Bonnie wrote:

> Here is my dilemma: I got an old Compaq Armada 1592 from my Mom. It
> has sat around for about a year, I simply didn't need it. But now
> since my "old reliable" melted down, this computer is looking very
> appealing .
> First I was surprised to see a Win Xp screen appear, as this
> computer is pretty old. So I asked Mom. Mom doesn't know XP from
> A&P. She says she had it "fixed, upgraded, etc" a couple times,
> beyond that, she is clueless.
> Then, screen said password expired, enter old password, then
> the new password. I entered what Mom says was her old password, tried
> all sorts of combinations of upper case, lower case, nada. I thought
> I could just bypass that screen and start as new user, but apparently
> not.
> Help! Thanks for any thoughts....... Bonnie

If this is XP Home, boot into Safe Mode and log on with the normally
hidden Administrator account. Unless your mom changed it (or this is
really a computer that belonged to a work environment), the default
password is a blank.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Bonnie

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:14:58 -0700, Malke <notreally@invalid.com>
wrote:

>Bonnie wrote:
>
>> Here is my dilemma: I got an old Compaq Armada 1592 from my Mom. It
>> has sat around for about a year, I simply didn't need it. But now
>> since my "old reliable" melted down, this computer is looking very
>> appealing .
>> First I was surprised to see a Win Xp screen appear, as this
>> computer is pretty old. So I asked Mom. Mom doesn't know XP from
>> A&P. She says she had it "fixed, upgraded, etc" a couple times,
>> beyond that, she is clueless.
>> Then, screen said password expired, enter old password, then
>> the new password. I entered what Mom says was her old password, tried
>> all sorts of combinations of upper case, lower case, nada. I thought
>> I could just bypass that screen and start as new user, but apparently
>> not.
>> Help! Thanks for any thoughts....... Bonnie
>
>If this is XP Home, boot into Safe Mode and log on with the normally
>hidden Administrator account. Unless your mom changed it (or this is
>really a computer that belonged to a work environment), the default
>password is a blank.
>
>Malke

Thanks. The old password was "blank". Why didn't I think of that?
<g>
I spoke with Mom again, she thinks that the last person to work on
her (now MY) computer was a "neighborhood fellow" recommended by
another neighbor.
And BTW, the XP version is Professional, not Home...........
definitely way beyond Mom's needs.... <g>

Thanks again, Bonnie