Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard problem?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 27, 2003 2:05:25 PM

I posted this in the WIN98 forum as well..not sure what the problem is..

I am trying to re-install WIN98SE on an old computer (specs below). It will get most of the way through the setup, and the I get an error with ddhelp "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" then with dxdiag "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"

Eventually setup just quits to a BSOD, and I can run setup again, but I keep getting the BSODs. I have low-level formated the HDD, and tried 3 different drives (all known good), and get the same error on each.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I have nothing but the CDROM, RAM, and Video attached. I haven't tried memtest yet, that is my next step. I have the CDROM and HDD on seperate IDE controllers.

Specs:
AOpen AX59 Pro
P2 233MHz
96 MB RAM (not sure of speed)
SiS AGP Video card (not sure what one)

Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
GF3 ti200 64MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB (Storage)
Maxtor 6GB (System)
Maxtor 120GB
LG 24x24x32 CDR
WIN2K PRo SP4

More about : motherboard problem

September 27, 2003 2:24:05 PM

If you have more than 1 stick of ram in the machine, try taking them all out except for one, and try your install again. Most of my failed windows installs have been due to memory sticks that don't cooperate. They'll work great once windows is on the machine, but not when trying to install it.

Had this same problem just last week with a customers machine, he had a 256 PC133 stick and 2 128 PC100 sticks.. and he just couldn't get windows to install so when he brought his system in, I popped out all his ram and stuck in a single stick of 512 PC133, installed windows with no errors after that. Put his old ram back in just to see, and windows was still able to boot and run normally. In the end he opted to upgrade to the single 512 just to be on the safe side.
September 27, 2003 4:29:24 PM

Most likely it is the ram channels on your MOBO. Could be a bad ram stick(s) or a bad ram slot. Switch from different ram slot too with one stick too.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!
September 27, 2003 5:38:39 PM

Got it sorted out. 1 stick of ram was bad, so I pulled it and put a new 128MB PC100 stick in and it works great.

Thanks.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
GF3 ti200 64MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB (Storage)
Maxtor 6GB (System)
Maxtor 120GB
LG 24x24x32 CDR
WIN2K PRo SP4