shutdown & hibernate

i can't shoutdown & hibernate my laptop (windows XP SP2 Whit laset
updates). when i click on shutdown button windows do noting!!?
please help me to shutdown it.
Thanks.

The first step (I've been through this many, many times) is to update your
video drivers to the latest WHQL certified version for your video card. If
that doesn't work, we'll try some other stuff after it.