Auto Play/Start not working

Am running XP and all of a sudden when I put a CD into my machine it will
not start automatically...... neither will DVD's. Its the same if I want to
install a program from a CD or listen to a CD.
Does anyone know of a possible solution?
Thankyou

1. Open XP's "Help and Support Center".
2. In the Search box type: AUTOPLAY , and hit enter.
3. Click on: "Change how your computer handles multimedia content".

Autoplay Repair Wizard
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C680A7B6-E8FA-45C4-A171-1B389CFACDAD&displaylang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Lildevil" wrote:

| Am running XP and all of a sudden when I put a CD into my machine it will
| not start automatically...... neither will DVD's. Its the same if I want to
| install a program from a CD or listen to a CD.
| Does anyone know of a possible solution?
| Thankyou

Thanks for the advice but I guess I have deeper problems than I thought. I
ran the wizard provided and found out that it discovered a problem but the
wizard was unable to fix the issue but would/could not tell me what the
issue was.
Again, thankyou for your assistance. Will just have to live with the problem
until it gets bad enuf and then maybe do a reinstall.....
> 1. Open XP's "Help and Support Center".
> 2. In the Search box type: AUTOPLAY , and hit enter.
> 3. Click on: "Change how your computer handles multimedia content".
>
> Autoplay Repair Wizard
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C680A7B6-E8FA-45C4-A171-1B389CFACDAD&displaylang=en
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Lildevil" wrote:
>
> | Am running XP and all of a sudden when I put a CD into my machine it
> will
> | not start automatically...... neither will DVD's. Its the same if I want
> | install a program from a CD or listen to a CD.
> | Does anyone know of a possible solution?
> | Thankyou

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:Ox%23dF$RpFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Lildevil <notthistime@yahoo.com> had this to say:

> Thanks for the advice but I guess I have deeper problems than I
> thought. I ran the wizard provided and found out that it discovered a
> problem but the wizard was unable to fix the issue but would/could
> not tell me what the issue was.
> Again, thankyou for your assistance. Will just have to live with the
> problem until it gets bad enuf and then maybe do a reinstall.....
>> 1. Open XP's "Help and Support Center".
>> 2. In the Search box type: AUTOPLAY , and hit enter.
>> 3. Click on: "Change how your computer handles multimedia content".
>>
>> Autoplay Repair Wizard
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C680A7B6-E8FA-45C4-A171-1B389CFACDAD&displaylang=en
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> "Lildevil" wrote:
>>
>>> Am running XP and all of a sudden when I put a CD into my machine
>>> it will not start automatically...... neither will DVD's. Its the
>>> same if I want to install a program from a CD or listen to a CD.
>>> Does anyone know of a possible solution?
>>> Thankyou

Well, I have an idea but it's just an idea...

Head here:

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP:

Download TweakUI...

In there why not try disabling the CD/DVD AutoPlay feature entirely. (It's
under My Computer > AutoPlay > types FYI) After you do that I imagine you
should probably at least log off if not restart. Then you can enable it
again using the same application and once again restart. It will, I hope,
basically reset the settings for you and the handlers. You can also check
those too to see if they're set to do nothing which is an idea.

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes