newbie help configure wireless security

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
September 20, 2004 10:21:49 PM

I bought a Linksys wireless router, WRT54G, hooked it up to cable modem surf
board.

Then I turned on my laptop and was able to connect to internet without a
problem. Then I noticed several wireless access point I can use, mine
showing up as unsecured. How can I change the settings so I am the only one
that can access it?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 21, 2004 4:33:31 AM

You need to go to the router's configuration menu (192.168.0.1 or a
variation thereof)and enable WEP. If available, enable WPA for increased
security. Furthermore, change your SSID from the default Linksys to a
name of your choice. Change the default logon password. See your manual
for instructions on how to do what I've suggested. Take care.

!