newbie help configure wireless security

I bought a Linksys wireless router, WRT54G, hooked it up to cable modem surf
board.

Then I turned on my laptop and was able to connect to internet without a
problem. Then I noticed several wireless access point I can use, mine
showing up as unsecured. How can I change the settings so I am the only one
that can access it?
1 answer Last reply
More about newbie configure wireless security

    You need to go to the router's configuration menu (192.168.0.1 or a
    variation thereof)and enable WEP. If available, enable WPA for increased
    security. Furthermore, change your SSID from the default Linksys to a
    name of your choice. Change the default logon password. See your manual
    for instructions on how to do what I've suggested. Take care.

    "WINSLIX" <winslix_nyc@earthlink.net> wrote in

    > I bought a Linksys wireless router, WRT54G, hooked it up to cable
    > modem surf board.
    >
    > Then I turned on my laptop and was able to connect to internet without
    > a problem. Then I noticed several wireless access point I can use,
    > mine showing up as unsecured. How can I change the settings so I am
    > the only one that can access it?

Wireless Configuration Internet Wireless Networking