I am using win xp pro, I want to set up a user account where the user is
allowed to install and run software. However I still want the functionality
of having a limited account: here is a “for instance� my daughter who is
quite savvy with the pc uses some software as well as games she likes to
play, I have no problem with it but because she has only a limited account on
my pc every time a program has to be installed I have to log on to install
it. When I do so she cannot run the program she gets a message that she
needs admin rights. So I figured that I would add the programs executable or
at least a shortcut to it to the shred folder, but she gets the same message
that she needs admin rights. Is there a way to give her rights to install
and run software without giving her computer administrator account?

Can anyone help with this or direct me to (the/a) solution
Khalid357@hotmail.com

Khalid357 wrote:
> I am using win xp pro, I want to set up a user account where the user
> is allowed to install and run software. However I still want the
> functionality of having a limited account: here is a "for instance"
> my daughter who is quite savvy with the pc uses some software as well
> as games she likes to play, I have no problem with it but because she
> has only a limited account on my pc every time a program has to be
> installed I have to log on to install it. When I do so she cannot
> run the program she gets a message that she needs admin rights. So I
> figured that I would add the programs executable or at least a
> shortcut to it to the shred folder, but she gets the same message
> that she needs admin rights. Is there a way to give her rights to
> install and run software without giving her computer administrator
> account?
>
> Can anyone help with this or direct me to (the/a) solution

File and directory permissions, possibly registry key permissions may be
needed.
Could be as simple as making her a power user as well - but I don't
recommend it.
You could try giving her user permissions on the games' file/folders.. As
well as the "All Users" folder.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Hi,

As a limited account user, no. They have insufficient privileges to make
changes to the registry and system folders. She would have to be elevated to
a Power User (Pro only) to have installation rights.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone