Program User Restrictions

I want to install Yahoo Messenger on my computer. I have 4 other users and I
don't want it to be available on their user account. How can I do that?

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about program user restrictions

    See if the setup process for Yahoo Messenger offers a choice for "All users" or "current user only" --- or similar verbiage.
    The setup program 'should' have the choices.
    Be sure to select the "custom" install/setup option, not the standard or default.

    Post back with your progress. Even if it turns out that all users get YM on their menus, you can still go back and remove shortcuts from the ALL Users startup folder, to just your startup folder.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    See if the setup process for Yahoo Messenger offers a choice for "All
    users" or "current user only" --- or similar verbiage.
    The setup program 'should' have the choices.
    Be sure to select the "custom" install/setup option, not the standard or
    default.

    Post back with your progress. Even if it turns out that all users get
    YM on their menus, you can still go back and remove shortcuts from the
    ALL Users startup folder, to just your startup folder.

    ****************** REPLY SEPERATOR ******************
    (needed due to poster using quoted-printable format)

    Not having the shortcuts won't prevent the users from executing the .exe
    files to load the program. If the install program doesn't offer the
    choice of installing for only the current user account, and after
    removing the shortcuts (especially those added into the All Users
    account), go to the folder where the program was installed and change
    permissions on the files there so only your account(s) have permissions
    to them.

    Set permissions on the program installation folder so that only your account
    has access to it.

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows
    XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

    Keep in mind however that a user with equivalent or administrator privileges
    can change these. Also disable YM from loading at startup to prevent error
    messages when other users login. YM installs for all users and if left
    load after you remove permissions on the installation folder for their
    account.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Mayor600" <Mayor600@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I want to install Yahoo Messenger on my computer. I have 4 other users and
    > don't want it to be available on their user account. How can I do that?
    >
    > Thanks.

Yahoo Messenger Computers Microsoft Windows XP