Program User Restrictions

I want to install Yahoo Messenger on my computer. I have 4 other users and I
don't want it to be available on their user account. How can I do that?

Thanks.

See if the setup process for Yahoo Messenger offers a choice for "All users" or "current user only" --- or similar verbiage.
The setup program 'should' have the choices.
Be sure to select the "custom" install/setup option, not the standard or default.

Post back with your progress. Even if it turns out that all users get YM on their menus, you can still go back and remove shortcuts from the ALL Users startup folder, to just your startup folder.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Mayor600 wrote:
> I want to install Yahoo Messenger on my computer. I have 4 other
> users and I don't want it to be available on their user account. How
> can I do that?
>
> Thanks.

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
See if the setup process for Yahoo Messenger offers a choice for "All
users" or "current user only" --- or similar verbiage.
The setup program 'should' have the choices.
Be sure to select the "custom" install/setup option, not the standard or
default.

Post back with your progress. Even if it turns out that all users get
YM on their menus, you can still go back and remove shortcuts from the
ALL Users startup folder, to just your startup folder.

****************** REPLY SEPERATOR ******************
(needed due to poster using quoted-printable format)

Not having the shortcuts won't prevent the users from executing the .exe
files to load the program. If the install program doesn't offer the
choice of installing for only the current user account, and after
removing the shortcuts (especially those added into the All Users
account), go to the folder where the program was installed and change
permissions on the files there so only your account(s) have permissions
to them.

Set permissions on the program installation folder so that only your account
has access to it.

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

Keep in mind however that a user with equivalent or administrator privileges
can change these. Also disable YM from loading at startup to prevent error
messages when other users login. YM installs for all users and if left
load after you remove permissions on the installation folder for their
account.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/