activation of Windows Xp on multiple hard drive...on the s..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

can i install and activate my single copy of windows xp on all the ten hard
drive of mine in the same computer?
9 answers Last reply
More about activation windows multiple hard drive
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Vikrant_pd wrote:
    > can i install and activate my single copy of windows xp on all the ten hard
    > drive of mine in the same computer?


    Not according to the licensing terms to which you must agree before you
    perform the installation.


    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    both at once. - RAH
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I am vikrant and m from microsoft product activation center.. i have serched
    various knowledge source available with microsoft ( eg.support.microsoft.com
    etc ) to know the same that "if a customer have three hard drive or any end
    no of hard drive and he has his single copy of windows xp which he wana
    activate on all three of them , is he allowed to do so?..

    i would also like to quote a part of
    END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT ..which no where tell anything about it.

    GRANT OF LICENSE. Manufacturer grants you the following
    rights, provided you comply with all of the terms and
    conditions of this EULA:

    * Installation and Use. Except as otherwise expressly
    provided in this EULA, you may install, use, access,
    display and run only one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE on
    the COMPUTER. The SOFTWARE may not
    be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time
    on the COMPUTER, unless a higher number is indicated
    on the Certificate of Authenticity. You may permit a
    maximum of ten (10) ("Connection Maximum") computers
    or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect
    to the COMPUTER to utilize the services of the SOFTWARE
    solely for File and Print services, Internet Information
    services, and remote access (including connection sharing
    and telephony services). The ten (10) Connection Maximum
    includes any indirect connections made through
    "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools
    or aggregates connections. Except as otherwise permitted
    below, you may not use the Device to use, access, display
    or run the SOFTWARE, the SOFTWARE's
    User Interface or other executable software residing
    on the COMPUTER.

    Kindly suggest as soon as possiable please


    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > Vikrant_pd wrote:
    > > can i install and activate my single copy of windows xp on all the ten hard
    > > drive of mine in the same computer?
    >
    >
    > Not according to the licensing terms to which you must agree before you
    > perform the installation.
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >
    > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    > both at once. - RAH
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Vikrant_pd wrote:

    > can i install and activate my single copy of windows xp on all the
    > ten hard drive of mine in the same computer?


    Your "can I?" question has already been answered, but I have a different
    comment for you.

    Some people seem to think that each drive they have installed needs a copy
    of the operating system (whether Windows XP or any other one). In case
    that's what you think, let me explain that you need only *one* copy of the
    operating system for the computer, regardless of how many drives you have
    installed.


    --
    Ken Blake
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    You are only permitted to install one (1) copy of Windows XP
    on one (1) computer using the Product Key (license). Additional
    installations on the same PC requires their own unique Product Key.

    Therefore, if you wish to install Windows XP on ten 10) hard drives,
    you need to purchase ten (10) licenses.

    Please read your End-User License Agreement by going
    to Start > Run and type: WINVER , and hit enter. Then
    click on "End-User License Agreement".

    If you already have a retail copy of Windows XP, you can obtain
    additional licenses for another computer or laptop by visiting the
    following Microsoft Web site:
    http://shop.microsoft.com/special/wal/walinfo.asp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Vikrant_pd" wrote:

    | can i install and activate my single copy of windows xp on all the ten hard
    | drive of mine in the same computer?
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I am vikrant and m from microsoft product activation center.. i have serched
    various knowledge source available with microsoft ( eg.support.microsoft.com
    etc ) to know the same that "if a customer have three hard drive or any end
    no of hard drive on his single computer also he has his single copy of
    windows xp which he wana
    activate on all three of them , is he allowed to do so?..

    here by saying single computer what do we mean .. same motherboard??

    Kindly suggest.


    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > You are only permitted to install one (1) copy of Windows XP
    > on one (1) computer using the Product Key (license). Additional
    > installations on the same PC requires their own unique Product Key.
    >
    > Therefore, if you wish to install Windows XP on ten 10) hard drives,
    > you need to purchase ten (10) licenses.
    >
    > Please read your End-User License Agreement by going
    > to Start > Run and type: WINVER , and hit enter. Then
    > click on "End-User License Agreement".
    >
    > If you already have a retail copy of Windows XP, you can obtain
    > additional licenses for another computer or laptop by visiting the
    > following Microsoft Web site:
    > http://shop.microsoft.com/special/wal/walinfo.asp
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > "Vikrant_pd" wrote:
    >
    > | can i install and activate my single copy of windows xp on all the ten hard
    > | drive of mine in the same computer?
    >
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    No. It is a breach of the Windows XP End-User License Agreement
    to use the license more than once on a single PC, regardless of how
    many drives are installed. If a customer expresses a desire to install
    Windows XP on other drives within the same PC, then he must purchase
    a separate Windows XP license for each additional installation.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Vikrant_pd" wrote:

    | I am vikrant and m from microsoft product activation center.. i have serched
    | various knowledge source available with microsoft ( eg.support.microsoft.com
    | etc ) to know the same that "if a customer have three hard drive or any end
    | no of hard drive and he has his single copy of windows xp which he wana
    | activate on all three of them , is he allowed to do so?..
    |
    | i would also like to quote a part of
    | END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT ..which no where tell anything about it.
    |
    | GRANT OF LICENSE. Manufacturer grants you the following
    | rights, provided you comply with all of the terms and
    | conditions of this EULA:
    |
    | * Installation and Use. Except as otherwise expressly
    | provided in this EULA, you may install, use, access,
    | display and run only one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE on
    | the COMPUTER. The SOFTWARE may not
    | be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time
    | on the COMPUTER, unless a higher number is indicated
    | on the Certificate of Authenticity. You may permit a
    | maximum of ten (10) ("Connection Maximum") computers
    | or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect
    | to the COMPUTER to utilize the services of the SOFTWARE
    | solely for File and Print services, Internet Information
    | services, and remote access (including connection sharing
    | and telephony services). The ten (10) Connection Maximum
    | includes any indirect connections made through
    | "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools
    | or aggregates connections. Except as otherwise permitted
    | below, you may not use the Device to use, access, display
    | or run the SOFTWARE, the SOFTWARE's
    | User Interface or other executable software residing
    | on the COMPUTER.
    |
    | Kindly suggest as soon as possiable please
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Thanks Carey for this information

    Do we have any article number or any link stating the same, also may i have
    your Email address for my Future references.


    Warm Regards
    Vikrant

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > No. It is a breach of the Windows XP End-User License Agreement
    > to use the license more than once on a single PC, regardless of how
    > many drives are installed. If a customer expresses a desire to install
    > Windows XP on other drives within the same PC, then he must purchase
    > a separate Windows XP license for each additional installation.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > "Vikrant_pd" wrote:
    >
    > | I am vikrant and m from microsoft product activation center.. i have serched
    > | various knowledge source available with microsoft ( eg.support.microsoft.com
    > | etc ) to know the same that "if a customer have three hard drive or any end
    > | no of hard drive and he has his single copy of windows xp which he wana
    > | activate on all three of them , is he allowed to do so?..
    > |
    > | i would also like to quote a part of
    > | END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT ..which no where tell anything about it.
    > |
    > | GRANT OF LICENSE. Manufacturer grants you the following
    > | rights, provided you comply with all of the terms and
    > | conditions of this EULA:
    > |
    > | * Installation and Use. Except as otherwise expressly
    > | provided in this EULA, you may install, use, access,
    > | display and run only one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE on
    > | the COMPUTER. The SOFTWARE may not
    > | be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time
    > | on the COMPUTER, unless a higher number is indicated
    > | on the Certificate of Authenticity. You may permit a
    > | maximum of ten (10) ("Connection Maximum") computers
    > | or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect
    > | to the COMPUTER to utilize the services of the SOFTWARE
    > | solely for File and Print services, Internet Information
    > | services, and remote access (including connection sharing
    > | and telephony services). The ten (10) Connection Maximum
    > | includes any indirect connections made through
    > | "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools
    > | or aggregates connections. Except as otherwise permitted
    > | below, you may not use the Device to use, access, display
    > | or run the SOFTWARE, the SOFTWARE's
    > | User Interface or other executable software residing
    > | on the COMPUTER.
    > |
    > | Kindly suggest as soon as possiable please
    >
    >
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Description of Microsoft Product Activation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302806

    Frequently asked questions about Microsoft Product Activation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302878

    Support WebCast: Microsoft Windows XP and Office XP:
    Understanding the New Mandatory Product Activation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325510

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Vikrant_pd" wrote:

    | Thanks Carey for this information
    |
    | Do we have any article number or any link stating the same, also may i have
    | your Email address for my Future references.
    |
    |
    | Warm Regards
    | Vikrant
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Vikrant_pd wrote:
    > can i install and activate my single copy of windows xp on all the
    > ten hard drive of mine in the same computer?

    this must be a wind up, yes?

    WHY in God's name would you want to?
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP Microsoft Hard Drives