Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dubious files.

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 20, 2005 4:33:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

After a few months of using XP & internet, a few strange files have appeared
in the C:\ drive (ie. alongside Windows, Program Files, etc.) Norton
Antivirus has suggested that at least one (C:\stassxx1.chm) is a "generic
dialer." Would it be safe to delete the lot? Here is a list with their
alleged descriptions:
dimsxx.chm (Compiled HTML Help file)
stassp.chm ( " " " )
stassxx1.chm ( " " " )
winhelp.chm ( " " " )
wialog.txt (Apparently meaningless )
edge.raw (RAW file. ?? )
edge.log (Another seemingly meaningless log.)

I'd be grateful if someone could identify any of these files and whether
they can simply be deleted without damage to the system.
--
Many thanks,

Robert.

More about : dubious files

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 4:55:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Robert wrote:
> After a few months of using XP & internet, a few strange files have
> appeared in the C:\ drive (ie. alongside Windows, Program Files,
> etc.) Norton Antivirus has suggested that at least one
> (C:\stassxx1.chm) is a "generic dialer." Would it be safe to delete
> the lot? Here is a list with their alleged descriptions:
> dimsxx.chm (Compiled HTML Help file)
> stassp.chm ( " " " )
> stassxx1.chm ( " " " )
> winhelp.chm ( " " " )
> wialog.txt (Apparently meaningless )
> edge.raw (RAW file. ?? )
> edge.log (Another seemingly meaningless log.)
>
> I'd be grateful if someone could identify any of these files and
> whether they can simply be deleted without damage to the system.

Since these files are on your hard drive, you are the best source for information. Try a search of the hard drive for the files and once found, right click the file in the search dialog and select properties. Click the tabs there to see if you can determine which program they are associated with. Post back with the results.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
August 20, 2005 5:51:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks Ronnie for getting me started on this.
The properties window shows that all the alleged HTML Help files appear to
be just that - even the one which Norton says is a "generic dialer". The
text files are not associated with anything but one of them seems, from the
text, to be concerned with my flatbed scanner. (All 1.3 MB of it !) The
file "edge.raw" is merely identified as "RAW file - Unknown Application."

In the light of this I think maybe I am getting paranoid about security.
HTML Help files must be concerned with the Web and may need a dialer to
access the Web from another application. They may not be as malicious as I
feared. Do you agree?

Again, many thanks,

Robert.


"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Robert wrote:
> > After a few months of using XP & internet, a few strange files have
> > appeared in the C:\ drive (ie. alongside Windows, Program Files,
> > etc.) Norton Antivirus has suggested that at least one
> > (C:\stassxx1.chm) is a "generic dialer." Would it be safe to delete
> > the lot? Here is a list with their alleged descriptions:
> > dimsxx.chm (Compiled HTML Help file)
> > stassp.chm ( " " " )
> > stassxx1.chm ( " " " )
> > winhelp.chm ( " " " )
> > wialog.txt (Apparently meaningless )
> > edge.raw (RAW file. ?? )
> > edge.log (Another seemingly meaningless log.)
> >
> > I'd be grateful if someone could identify any of these files and
> > whether they can simply be deleted without damage to the system.
>
> Since these files are on your hard drive, you are the best source for information. Try a search of the hard drive for the files and once found, right click the file in the search dialog and select properties. Click the tabs there to see if you can determine which program they are associated with. Post back with the results.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 6:04:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Normally *.chm files are Help files. Double click them to open 'em to see
what program they are from. I have none of the *.chm files that you list on
my machine.

winhelp.chm may be a real help file, delete the other *.chm files.

wialog.txt is from Windows Image and Aquisition service logging. You may
also see wiadebug.log and/or wiaservc.log. wialog.txt serves no purpose,
delete it.

File Extension Details for .RAW
http://www.filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=raw

I have no RAW listed in Folder Options File types on my machine.

I have one raw file on my machine, edb.INTEG.RAW. Related to Integrity
check of database 'C:\WINDOWS\Security\edb.log'

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:F5E48EBD-0F99-4E09-824E-D3C7232A58DE@microsoft.com,
Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> After a few months of using XP & internet, a few strange files have
> appeared in the C:\ drive (ie. alongside Windows, Program Files, etc.)
> Norton Antivirus has suggested that at least one (C:\stassxx1.chm) is a
> "generic dialer." Would it be safe to delete the lot? Here is a list
> with their alleged descriptions:
> dimsxx.chm (Compiled HTML Help file)
> stassp.chm ( " " " )
> stassxx1.chm ( " " " )
> winhelp.chm ( " " " )
> wialog.txt (Apparently meaningless )
> edge.raw (RAW file. ?? )
> edge.log (Another seemingly meaningless log.)
>
> I'd be grateful if someone could identify any of these files and whether
> they can simply be deleted without damage to the system.
> --
> Many thanks,
>
> Robert.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 11:47:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Robert wrote:
> Thanks Ronnie for getting me started on this.
> The properties window shows that all the alleged HTML Help files
> appear to
> be just that - even the one which Norton says is a "generic dialer".
> The
> text files are not associated with anything but one of them seems,
> from the
> text, to be concerned with my flatbed scanner. (All 1.3 MB of it !)
> The
> file "edge.raw" is merely identified as "RAW file - Unknown
> Application."
>
> In the light of this I think maybe I am getting paranoid about
> security.
> HTML Help files must be concerned with the Web and may need a dialer
> to
> access the Web from another application. They may not be as
> malicious as I
> feared. Do you agree?
>
> Again, many thanks,
>
> Robert.

Robert

Yes, I do agree.

However, you really cannot be "too" paranoid about security. If you detect something that doesn't look right, it's always a good idea to check it out.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
!