4400 firmware ver 11

I have a 4400 that keeps getting urgent VMI's even when the sender does NOT
leave a urgent message. TS told me I need to upgrade to firmware ver 11. I
currently have ver 6. What other changes will the software upgrade make?

Will I lose any phonebook entries or GIN applications?

TS was too positive about how easy the process is to make me feel
comfortable about it.

--

-Jesse

http://www.pixelpages.net/conservativemind

Disclaimer: Spelling & grammar errors are made on purpose for those who are
fulfilled by correcting others.
27 answers Last reply
More about 4400 firmware

    When I upgraded the software in my vx4400 from ver 4 to ver 10 it took about
    45 min. It did not change any of the stuff I had in the phone - including
    free wireless web setup.
    HOWEVER - there have some negative posts in this NG about ver 11. Don't
    know if you could still get ver 10 or not.

    "Jesse Hand" <no.spam@for.me> wrote in message
    > I have a 4400 that keeps getting urgent VMI's even when the sender does
    NOT
    > leave a urgent message. TS told me I need to upgrade to firmware ver 11. I
    > currently have ver 6. What other changes will the software upgrade make?
    >
    > Will I lose any phonebook entries or GIN applications?
    >
    > TS was too positive about how easy the process is to make me feel
    > comfortable about it.
    >

    > --
    >
    > -Jesse
    >
    > http://www.pixelpages.net/conservativemind
    >
    > Disclaimer: Spelling & grammar errors are made on purpose for those who
    are
    > fulfilled by correcting others.

    In article <YvFIc.19437$Al5.15863@nwrdny03.gnilink.net>, no.spam@for.me
    says...
    > I have a 4400 that keeps getting urgent VMI's even when the sender does NOT
    > leave a urgent message. TS told me I need to upgrade to firmware ver 11. I
    > currently have ver 6. What other changes will the software upgrade make?
    >
    > Will I lose any phonebook entries or GIN applications?
    >
    > TS was too positive about how easy the process is to make me feel
    > comfortable about it.

    I would be very hesitant to get v 11. It lowered my signal strength and
    seriously lowered the highest volume the phone could attain.

    Some people have posted increased signal strength while others have had
    my experience - proceed with caution.

    Louise

    I have learned that ver 11 does make the sound quality drop. I think I might
    just live with the "urgent" VMI.

    On 2004-07-12, Jesse Hand <no.spam@for.me> wrote:
    > Will I lose any phonebook entries or GIN applications?

    When I tried to have my 4400 upgraded from 6 to 10, the techs at the
    VZW store (Everett MA) not only lost all the existing data, they
    screwed up the phone to the point that they had to give me another one
    -- minus the battery, which they took from my old phone (and also
    minus the rubber protector on the data/power jack, which I never got
    back).

    I don't know how typical this is in general but it seems to be typical
    of this shop. A friend of mine had more or less the same thing happen
    getting her Motorola phone updated there, though in that case the new
    phone they gave her was at least a newer model.

    Maybe they have some kind of scam going here, I don't know, but I
    would definitely recommend investigating the record of the VZW store
    you plan to use, if at all possible.

    Personally, I'm absolutely certain I could handle this job better
    myself, and I find it incredibly annoying that we can't do these
    updates on our own if we want to and if we choose to accept the
    responsibility. Imo there's just no excuse for VZW not offering this
    as an option. I can update the firmware on my ipod, I can update the
    firmware on my router, I can't think of any reason why I would be
    incapable of updating the firmware on my cell phone.

    As for the firmware version, you probably do want to get something
    newer than V6, which I found to be somewhat flakey and which is
    missing useful features like fast GIN. V10 has worked well for me and
    I don't remember reading any negative reports about that version.
    Early reports re: V11 are mixed.

    my local store will NOT upgrade me to ver 10. They said they MUST upgrade to
    ver 11. I do not think I am going to do it. I have heard too many horror
    stories.

    --

    In article <MPG.1b5d324a22672e599896d0@news-server.nyc.rr.com>,
    Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote:
    >Some people have posted increased signal strength while others have had
    >my experience - proceed with caution.

    Signal strength as indicated by the "bars", or signal strength as
    indicated by calls completing in an area where they previously would not
    (or vice versa)? "Bars" are whatever the software wants them to be, so
    changing software versions could easily change the number of bars, without
    any correlation to the actual call-handling performance of the phone.

    In article <2lhv8bFd2em6U1@uni-berlin.de>, noman <noman@klassikal.net> wrote:
    >On 2004-07-12, Jesse Hand <no.spam@for.me> wrote:
    >Personally, I'm absolutely certain I could handle this job better
    >myself, and I find it incredibly annoying that we can't do these
    >updates on our own if we want to and if we choose to accept the
    >responsibility. Imo there's just no excuse for VZW not offering this
    >as an option. I can update the firmware on my ipod, I can update the
    >firmware on my router, I can't think of any reason why I would be
    >incapable of updating the firmware on my cell phone.

    I have never heard of any provider allowing customers to do their
    own firmware updates. I suspect it has something to do with the FCC
    certification of the phone as a radio transmitter. The firmware is part
    of the certification, since misbehaving software could cause the phone
    to trash service anywhere in the range of the phone.

    Cell phones operate under the license issued to the provider so they are
    responsible for their proper functioning.

    Licensed amateur radio operators are free to design and build transmitters
    for use in the amateur bands, and indeed are responsible for their
    proper functioning. Otherwise, there is a long, formal process for
    manufacturers to earn a "type acceptance" for products designed to be
    a radio transmitter.

    In article <cd175o0lom@news3.newsguy.com>, hoch@exemplary.invalid
    says...
    > In article <MPG.1b5d324a22672e599896d0@news-server.nyc.rr.com>,
    > Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote:
    > >Some people have posted increased signal strength while others have had
    > >my experience - proceed with caution.
    >
    > Signal strength as indicated by the "bars", or signal strength as
    > indicated by calls completing in an area where they previously would not
    > (or vice versa)? "Bars" are whatever the software wants them to be, so
    > changing software versions could easily change the number of bars, without
    > any correlation to the actual call-handling performance of the phone.

    My personal experience was dropped calls - one after the other during
    peak hours. Version 10 was just enough better to keep the connection
    even though it did break up from time to time. In reality, that's a big
    difference.

    Louise

    "noman" <noman@klassikal.net> wrote in message
    > On 2004-07-12, Jesse Hand <no.spam@for.me> wrote:
    > > Will I lose any phonebook entries or GIN applications?
    >
    > When I tried to have my 4400 upgraded from 6 to 10, the techs at the
    > VZW store (Everett MA) not only lost all the existing data, they
    > screwed up the phone to the point that they had to give me another one
    > -- minus the battery, which they took from my old phone (and also
    > minus the rubber protector on the data/power jack, which I never got
    > back).
    >
    > I don't know how typical this is in general but it seems to be typical
    > of this shop.

    I had my LG VX4400 upgraded from v6 to v11 firmware at a new VZW service
    center in Largo, FL, and they did it fine, in less than an hour, without
    loss of phonebook, etc.

    [snip]

    > As for the firmware version, you probably do want to get something
    > newer than V6, which I found to be somewhat flakey and which is
    > missing useful features like fast GIN. V10 has worked well for me and
    > I don't remember reading any negative reports about that version.
    > Early reports re: V11 are mixed.

    V11 is working okay for me, except that I'm not getting the fast GIN - and
    that was my reason for upgrading! A GIN request for weather radar data, or
    a Mobile Web request for WAP text, flashes the double arrows when trying to
    connect, but then falls back to the QNC arrow. I haven't noticed a
    difference in signal strength or calls dropping yet.

    Wayne

    Wayne, you might want to call VZW customer service and ask them to check
    your "1x" service - I had the same problem and turning on the "1x" fixed it.

    PoD

    In article <8C9Jc.1279$4L7.1251@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
    Paul of Dayton <F_and_P@NOSPAMameritech.net> wrote:
    >Wayne, you might want to call VZW customer service and ask them to check
    >your "1x" service - I had the same problem and turning on the "1x" fixed it.

    Also my experience. When had the software updated in my T720, I had
    to call data support to turn on 1x before GetItNow could use the higher
    speed. Just make sure that you don't mention tethered "wireless modem"
    or they will freak out about you needing a National Access data plan.

    "CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
    > In article <8C9Jc.1279$4L7.1251@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
    > Paul of Dayton <F_and_P@NOSPAMameritech.net> wrote:
    > >Wayne, you might want to call VZW customer service and ask them to check
    > >your "1x" service - I had the same problem and turning on the "1x" fixed
    it.

    > Also my experience. When had the software updated in my T720, I had
    > to call data support to turn on 1x before GetItNow could use the higher
    > speed. Just make sure that you don't mention tethered "wireless modem"
    > or they will freak out about you needing a National Access data plan.

    Thanks. A couple of weeks ago, after upgrading the firmware, I called
    customer service but they told me that Get It Now and Mobile Web aren't
    speeded up by the upgrade from v6 to v11, and that I shouldn't expect that
    the 1X data sp. I called again tonight; they checked and verified that my
    phone is enabled (as it was under v6) for 1X data transfer when it's used as
    a PC modem (I told them I did that ocassionally, and they didn't freak), but
    the rep had to call up another rep in the Express Network division to find
    out what was up. They said they searched my account very throughly, and
    that all of my settings are set to permit 1X service.

    Now, he did say that my area was served by both VZW and Alltel towers, and
    thought that I might be having this problem because I'm using an Alltell
    tower instead of a VZW tower. I'm going to try again from an area that has
    only VZW towers.

    Another possibility is that the V11 firmware is buggy this way, of course.

    Wayne

    I had and still have this problem. The phone is improperly flashed.
    I campared a 4400B to my upgraded 4400, and one of the firmware files
    were not properly updated. In one of the NVRAM files, the login
    information for the 1X network is not right. Each time, the phone
    tries to dial out via 1X, and then reverts to circuit switched.

    "Wayne Farmer" <usenet@endymionsystems.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks. A couple of weeks ago, after upgrading the firmware, I called
    > customer service but they told me that Get It Now and Mobile Web aren't
    > speeded up by the upgrade from v6 to v11, and that I shouldn't expect that
    > the 1X data sp. I called again tonight; they checked and verified that my
    > phone is enabled (as it was under v6) for 1X data transfer when it's used as
    > a PC modem (I told them I did that ocassionally, and they didn't freak), but
    > the rep had to call up another rep in the Express Network division to find
    > out what was up. They said they searched my account very throughly, and
    > that all of my settings are set to permit 1X service.

    I have this same problem. Do you have any more information about which
    file contains this setting, and what the correct values are?

    Rich

    havaloc wrote:
    > I had and still have this problem. The phone is improperly flashed.
    > I campared a 4400B to my upgraded 4400, and one of the firmware files
    > were not properly updated. In one of the NVRAM files, the login
    > information for the 1X network is not right. Each time, the phone
    > tries to dial out via 1X, and then reverts to circuit switched.
    >
    > "Wayne Farmer" <usenet@endymionsystems.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Thanks. A couple of weeks ago, after upgrading the firmware, I called
    >>customer service but they told me that Get It Now and Mobile Web aren't
    >>speeded up by the upgrade from v6 to v11, and that I shouldn't expect that
    >>the 1X data sp. I called again tonight; they checked and verified that my
    >>phone is enabled (as it was under v6) for 1X data transfer when it's used as
    >>a PC modem (I told them I did that ocassionally, and they didn't freak), but
    >>the rep had to call up another rep in the Express Network division to find
    >>out what was up. They said they searched my account very throughly, and
    >>that all of my settings are set to permit 1X service.

    Where is the new service center in Largo? The Countryside center wait time
    is usually 30 minutes just to get waited on.

    "Don R" <drennard@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in message

    > "Wayne Farmer" <usenet@endymionsystems.com> wrote in message
    > > "noman" <noman@klassikal.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > When I tried to have my 4400 upgraded from 6 to 10, the techs at the
    > > > VZW store (Everett MA) not only lost all the existing data, they
    > > > screwed up the phone to the point that they had to give me another one
    > > > -- minus the battery, which they took from my old phone (and also
    > > > minus the rubber protector on the data/power jack, which I never got
    > > > back).
    > > >
    > > > I don't know how typical this is in general but it seems to be typical
    > > > of this shop.
    > >
    > > I had my LG VX4400 upgraded from v6 to v11 firmware at a new VZW service
    > > center in Largo, FL, and they did it fine, in less than an hour, without
    > > loss of phonebook, etc.
    > >
    > > [snip]
    > > >
    > > > As for the firmware version, you probably do want to get something
    > > > newer than V6, which I found to be somewhat flakey and which is
    > > > missing useful features like fast GIN. V10 has worked well for me and
    > > > I don't remember reading any negative reports about that version.
    > > > Early reports re: V11 are mixed.
    > >
    > > V11 is working okay for me, except that I'm not getting the fast GIN -
    and
    > > that was my reason for upgrading! A GIN request for weather radar data,
    > or
    > > a Mobile Web request for WAP text, flashes the double arrows when trying
    > > connect, but then falls back to the QNC arrow. I haven't noticed a
    > > difference in signal strength or calls dropping yet.
    > >
    > > Wayne
    > >

    > Where is the new service center in Largo? The Countryside center wait time
    > is usually 30 minutes just to get waited on.

    Don, it's on the north side of Ulmerton, east of Seminole, more or less
    across from the Largo Mall. I think they had a store in the mall, and moved
    out of it to their new home.

    Wayne

    Thanks, Wayne.

    "havaloc" <havaloc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I had and still have this problem. The phone is improperly flashed.
    > I compared a 4400B to my upgraded 4400, and one of the firmware files
    > were not properly updated. In one of the NVRAM files, the login
    > information for the 1X network is not right. Each time, the phone
    > tries to dial out via 1X, and then reverts to circuit switched.

    Nice detective work. Have you reported this to VZW so they can fix it?

    It's on the the NVRAM files/folder. It doesn't matter though, since
    you can't write to them anyway. I stumbled upon this when comparing a
    properly working 4400B with high speed Gin compared to my own. I even
    did an ESN swap and it the 4400B on my account worked, but not on
    phone, so I ruled out the account being the problem. Eventually I
    just gave up. Everyone I talked to, from VZ techs to the store to
    techs at 611 just looked like me as if I were speaking a different
    language. All this talk of double arrows, etc etc. It's really
    frustrating, and I could fix it if I could write to the NVRAM. The
    changes are quite simple.

    Rich <mathwhiz@mathwhiz.org> wrote in message news:<wJTJc.92632$%_6.15469@attbi_s01>...
    > I have this same problem. Do you have any more information about which
    > file contains this setting, and what the correct values are?
    >
    > Rich
    >
    > havaloc wrote:
    > > I had and still have this problem. The phone is improperly flashed.
    > > I campared a 4400B to my upgraded 4400, and one of the firmware files
    > > were not properly updated. In one of the NVRAM files, the login
    > > information for the 1X network is not right. Each time, the phone
    > > tries to dial out via 1X, and then reverts to circuit switched.

    Any more information on weather people should get this upgrade or not? I hear a lot of negative
    things about it.

    -W

    "Double U" <PleaseSpamMe@myEmail.com> wrote in message
    > Any more information on weather people should get this upgrade or not? I
    hear a lot of negative
    > things about it.

    I had my 4400 upgraded from v8 to v11 a week or two ago, and have had no
    problems.

    Steve

    Steve, did your volume go down?

    Thanks,

    Janie

    "Steve B" <netuser49@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Double U" <PleaseSpamMe@myEmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Any more information on weather people should get this upgrade or not?
    > hear a lot of negative
    > > things about it.
    >
    > I had my 4400 upgraded from v8 to v11 a week or two ago, and have had no
    > problems.
    >
    > Steve

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 02:03:29 GMT, "Steve B" <netuser49@hotmail.com> chose
    to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

    >"Double U" <PleaseSpamMe@myEmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Any more information on weather people should get this upgrade or not? I
    >hear a lot of negative
    >> things about it.
    >
    >I had my 4400 upgraded from v8 to v11 a week or two ago, and have had no
    >problems.

    Anybody know what 11 does that 10 doesn't? I.e., what (if anything) is the
    advantage of upgrading from 10 to 11?

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "It's not so much a tribute to my morality as a criticism of our nation's
    law enforcement." - Dave Barry, telling the Austin 'American-Statesman'
    he's never spent a night in jail

    They added one time zone (Tel Aviv <sp>?)

    And addressed an issue with nortel tower equipment that was causing echo
    problems. They only have Nortel in a couple of states (Nevada I think is
    one of them...)

    -Eric

    "Janie Collins" <jjcollins@triad.rr.com> wrote in message news:w%tNc.180337
    > Steve, did your volume go down?

    Janie,

    I've not noticed a volume change.

    Steve

    In article <w%tNc.180337$tH1.7651802@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
    jjcollins@triad.rr.com says...
    > Steve, did your volume go down?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Janie
    >
    > "Steve B" <netuser49@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > "Double U" <PleaseSpamMe@myEmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Any more information on weather people should get this upgrade or not?
    > > hear a lot of negative
    > > > things about it.
    > >
    > > I had my 4400 upgraded from v8 to v11 a week or two ago, and have had no
    > > problems.
    > >
    > > Steve

    My volume went down so badly that I had to change the phone.

    Louise

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:13:06 -0700, "Eric Rosenberry"
    <erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> chose to add this to the great equation of
    life, the universe, and everything:

    >"David S" <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Anybody know what 11 does that 10 doesn't? I.e., what (if anything) is the
    >> advantage of upgrading from 10 to 11?

    >They added one time zone (Tel Aviv <sp>?)

    Same as Beirut, no?

    >And addressed an issue with nortel tower equipment that was causing echo
    >problems. They only have Nortel in a couple of states (Nevada I think is
    >one of them...)

    Illinois (Chicago area)?

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "It's big enough to take care of itself." - Ronald Reagan on the deficit.

Verizon Firmware Software Internet Service Providers