activation concern

I am vikrant and m from microsoft product activation center.. i have serched
various knowledge source available with microsoft ( eg.support.microsoft.com
etc ) to know the same that "if a customer have three hard drive or any end
no of hard drive on his single Computer and he has his single copy of
windows xp which he wana
activate on all three of them , is he allowed to do so?..

Here by one computer i mean that customer has three hard drive on a single
mother board..... what do w mean when w say single computer.

i would also like to quote a part of
END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT ..which tells nothing about the above concern.

GRANT OF LICENSE. Manufacturer grants you the following
rights, provided you comply with all of the terms and
conditions of this EULA:

* Installation and Use. Except as otherwise expressly
provided in this EULA, you may install, use, access,
display and run only one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE on
the COMPUTER. The SOFTWARE may not
be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time
on the COMPUTER, unless a higher number is indicated
on the Certificate of Authenticity. You may permit a
maximum of ten (10) ("Connection Maximum") computers
or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect
to the COMPUTER to utilize the services of the SOFTWARE
solely for File and Print services, Internet Information
services, and remote access (including connection sharing
and telephony services). The ten (10) Connection Maximum
includes any indirect connections made through
"multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools
or aggregates connections. Except as otherwise permitted
below, you may not use the Device to use, access, display
or run the SOFTWARE, the SOFTWARE's
User Interface or other executable software residing
on the COMPUTER.

Kindly suggest as soon as possiable pl

"Vikrant_pd" <Vikrantpd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am vikrant and m from microsoft product activation center..

If you are truly working at the activation center, you should be asking your
supervisors what you should do and what you should say, not posting on a
public newsgroup and asking the world's opinion on what to do.

People posting here are not MS employees, with a very few exceptions (MVPs
are not MS employees) and are not likely to be the ones in charge of the
activation call centers. So whatever answer you get, no matter how
well-reasoned, shouldn't be regarded as what you should go by. If you screw
up, telling your bosses that you asked some random stranger on a world-wide
newsgroup for advice isn't going to get you out of hot water.

The EULA and licensing are one thing (and may possibly be governed by local
laws); what you're supposed to say to customers may be another. Ask your
bosses.

Oh, and FYI, if someone actually had multiple copies of the OS on multiple
hard drives on the same computer, chances are they'd never need to call you
for activation, unless there were other issues as well.

It is a breach of the Windows XP End-User License Agreement
to use the license more than once on a single PC, regardless of how
many drives are installed. If a customer expresses a desire to install
Windows XP on other drives within the same PC, then he must purchase
a separate Windows XP license for each additional installation.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Vikrant_pd" wrote:

| I am vikrant and m from microsoft product activation center.. i have serched
| various knowledge source available with microsoft ( eg.support.microsoft.com
| etc ) to know the same that "if a customer have three hard drive or any end
| no of hard drive on his single Computer and he has his single copy of
| windows xp which he wana
| activate on all three of them , is he allowed to do so?..
|
| Here by one computer i mean that customer has three hard drive on a single
| mother board..... what do w mean when w say single computer.
|
| i would also like to quote a part of
| END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT ..which tells nothing about the above concern.
|
| GRANT OF LICENSE. Manufacturer grants you the following
| rights, provided you comply with all of the terms and
| conditions of this EULA:
|
| * Installation and Use. Except as otherwise expressly
| provided in this EULA, you may install, use, access,
| display and run only one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE on
| the COMPUTER. The SOFTWARE may not
| be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time
| on the COMPUTER, unless a higher number is indicated
| on the Certificate of Authenticity. You may permit a
| maximum of ten (10) ("Connection Maximum") computers
| or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect
| to the COMPUTER to utilize the services of the SOFTWARE
| solely for File and Print services, Internet Information
| services, and remote access (including connection sharing
| and telephony services). The ten (10) Connection Maximum
| includes any indirect connections made through
| "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools
| or aggregates connections. Except as otherwise permitted
| below, you may not use the Device to use, access, display
| or run the SOFTWARE, the SOFTWARE's
| User Interface or other executable software residing
| on the COMPUTER.
|
| Kindly suggest as soon as possiable pl

Don't think so.

I thought you said the motherboard defined the new computer? Now you are
saying the hard drives within the same computer do as well???

Don Burnette

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> It is a breach of the Windows XP End-User License Agreement
> to use the license more than once on a single PC, regardless of how
> many drives are installed. If a customer expresses a desire to
> install Windows XP on other drives within the same PC, then he must
> purchase
> a separate Windows XP license for each additional installation.
>

>> I am vikrant and m from microsoft product activation center.. i have
>> serched various knowledge source available with microsoft (
>> eg.support.microsoft.com etc ) to know the same that "if a customer
>> have three hard drive or any end no of hard drive on his single
>> Computer and he has his single copy of windows xp which he wana
>> activate on all three of them , is he allowed to do so?..
>>
>> Here by one computer i mean that customer has three hard drive on a
>> single mother board..... what do w mean when w say single computer.
>>
>> i would also like to quote a part of
>> END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT ..which tells nothing about the above
>> concern.
>>
>> GRANT OF LICENSE. Manufacturer grants you the following
>> rights, provided you comply with all of the terms and
>> conditions of this EULA:
>>
>> * Installation and Use. Except as otherwise expressly
>> provided in this EULA, you may install, use, access,
>> display and run only one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE on
>> the COMPUTER. The SOFTWARE may not
>> be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time
>> on the COMPUTER, unless a higher number is indicated
>> on the Certificate of Authenticity. You may permit a
>> maximum of ten (10) ("Connection Maximum") computers
>> or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect
>> to the COMPUTER to utilize the services of the SOFTWARE
>> solely for File and Print services, Internet Information
>> services, and remote access (including connection sharing
>> and telephony services). The ten (10) Connection Maximum
>> includes any indirect connections made through
>> "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools
>> or aggregates connections. Except as otherwise permitted
>> below, you may not use the Device to use, access, display
>> or run the SOFTWARE, the SOFTWARE's
>> User Interface or other executable software residing
>> on the COMPUTER.
>>
>> Kindly suggest as soon as possiable pl

You are not paying attention to what I post and
taking words out on context...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> You are not paying attention to what I post and
> taking words out on context...

Neither are you..."It is a breach of the Windows XP End-User
License Agreement to use the license more than once on a single
PC..." This is taken directly from your post. Note the phrase
that says "...more than once on a single PC." Presumably, the
person posing the question does not intend to have TEN Windows
XP running simultaneously from the SAME computer. Nor do I
believe that it is possible to simultaneously USE more than one
Windows OS off the same computer at the same time.

So what is it, Carey? You are wandering way out of your league;
stick to offering advice on using the Windows XP shell. The
problem with licensing agreements is that it is written by lawyers
for lawyers and not by computer engineers and developers who are
also practicing attorneys. The words "use" and "install" cannot
be used in the same post without further defining "computer" and
"drives".

The EULA allows for one installation on one machine, as is covered by the
use of the word 'install' in the very first line of the quoted paragraph.
This has nothing to do with the number of hard drives.

However, there is nothing that will prevent a user from creating and
activating multiple installations with the same product key on the same pc.
It's the same hardware, so the hash used for activation will be the same.
You can activate and reactivate on the same hardware as often as you please,
though an excessive number of activations in a short time period will result
in them needing to be phoned in.

To answer the OP's question: Technically, this is not in accordance with the
licensing as interpreted above (but I'm not a lawyer, nor do I intend to
become one). However, frankly, there is nothing to prevent it from being
done. Many consider parallel installations a legitimate use of the product
for means of backup and recovery. It's a gray area, and no arguement is 100%
correct.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/