jodel

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Hello guys,

I heave my NF7-s rev 2.0 (with AMD XP1700 @ 2200Mhz)working for a while now.
But sometimes when i start up the pc the mobo staarts beeping like if the cpu overheats. (like high-low-high-low)
It is not the cpu that overheats, all the fans are running and the cpu never gets over 40*C.
When i restart immidiately and check the bios, the temp is around 25 degrees. And after the restart there is no problem anymore,
it starts like normal after pressing the reset button.
But it keeps on happening and it is really starting to irritate me...

What could this be?

ABIT NF7-Srev 2.0
XP1700+ @ 2195 (190x11,5)
NANYA PC2700 333 @ 380
ASUS V7700 GF 2 GTS
MAXTOR 120 GB DiamondMax +9 SATA 8MB
WD Caviar 40GB
350W PSU
Tt DragonOrb 3
3 Casefans

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hi-Lo beeps often indicate a power problem. This is usually caused by a failing board (bad capacitors), but could also be caused by a failing power supply. Although I've never seen it, perhaps a power surge could also make the alarm go off.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jodel

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Ok so now I know what it COULD be... how do I get to know what it actualy is?
Failing board? Just bought it 2 months ago... :S
I hope it is the PSU, that is an older one...

Please help...

ABIT NF7-Srev 2.0
NANYA PC2700 333 @ 380
ASUS V7700 GF 2 GTS
WD Caviar 40GB
350W PSU
Tt DragonOrb 3
3 Casefans

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could try replacing the power supply, but I'd check the board first to see if any capacitors are swollen or leaking. I had a 2 month old Soyo board start EXPLODING them one time, like firecrackers going off inside my case!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jodel

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
I checked my MOBO and there seems to be nothing wrong with the capacitors.
I also purchased a new PSU, an ANTEC True Power 430, that solved the problems concerning the failing IDE drives ( <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=88226#88226" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=88226#88226</A> )
But i still have problems when booting up. Sometimes, about 1/2 of the times the alarm still sounds...

The pc works perfect and i have no instability problems but it sounds so cheap having to start your pc twice to make it run without an alarm... HELP!!!

ABIT NF7-Srev 2.0
NANYA PC2700 333 @ 380
ASUS V7700 GF 2 GTS
WD Caviar 40GB
Antec TP430
Tt DragonOrb 3
3 Casefans

aosborn

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003
This probably wont help but I had a problem similar and fixed it.
I have a P4P800-Deluxe running a P4 2.8GHz 800FSB. A week or so after i first installed it it started sounding an alarm similar to yours, high-low. But mine was heat, the heatsink wasnt seated right and I used crappy thermal grease given to me by them so i used good stuff and seated it right. That solved that one. Also it started beeping when someone changed the voltages of the board, VCORE and whatnot.

With another one of my systems it started doing somethign similar, but it was after it booted to the desktop. I had a program called HMonitor and it monitors fans and temps. You can change the type of thermal sensor to things like diodes or thermal sensor or some crap. I had them set right but whenever it gets changed to thermal diode an alarm goes off, it was the same alarm as the P4P800.

It probably wont help you but I thought I'd post anyway.