Service pack 1 incorrectly recognizes usb 2.0 on

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
seems I read that installing xp sp1 cause xp to misidentify the usb controller as a usb 1.1 host instead of 2.0 I seem to have gotten this on my asus p4c800-e and removing the device and rebooting and installing the latest intel inf do not fix it ( xp reintalls the hub \ controller before you can shut down and reboot ) any ideas how to 1.) determine if usb 2.0 or 1.1 is actually enabled (yes it is enabled in my bios) and 2.) how to fix this if not .. cannot boot to safe mode so far to try to remove it from there as my sys just seems to boot right through to xp with all drivers going

TIA

<b><font color=red>Just because you are ignoring those voices in your head doesn't mean they aren't talking about you</b></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, USB 2.0 devices also operate at 1.1 speed if required to, so I suggest you plug one in and see if XP detects it as a USB 2.0 device or a USB device.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
If I had one I would :) thing is it only shows standard enhanced pci to usb host controller in device manager and I am told it should specify usb 2.0 enhanced as it does on my laptop maybe someone out there with a canterwood based mobo and sp 1a installed that also owns a usb 2 device could look and tell me what is shown on their system

<b><font color=red>Just because you are ignoring those voices in your head doesn't mean they aren't talking about you</b></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Mine just says USB Host Controller (allong with the model number) and I've already used a USB 2.0 drive enclosure which transfered at 20MB/s average according to Sisoft benchmarks. Now, USB 1 is 1.2MB/s, so I know it's operating at USB 2.0 speed, even though it's not labled as a USB 2.0 controller in device manager.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
nevermind, they were indeed 1.1 (although after reading your post I'm not sure it was only 1.1 at this point )I reinstalled SP1a and right clicked on the standard enhanced usb host controller and updated the driver ... let it find it .. and it installed usb2 support ok. at least it says Intel(R) 82801EB <b>USB2</b> Enhanced Host Controller-24DD now where before the reference to USB 2 was absent

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LMAO! That's what MINE says, minus the USB2 part, and with a very slow drive giving me 20MB/s average transfers, I KNOW it's operating in USB 2.0 mode!

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
lol hope I didn't screw the pooch by reinstalling sp 1 now btw this is on an asus p4c800-e that got cut off in the title