Scanning PCI bus using Mechanism #2

augustus108

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
I am having problem installing Wins98se onto my new motherboard, it is Asus A7N8X Deluxe.

After I got pass Oak Technology driver, then

AIC-6260/6360/6370 ASPI Manager for Dos
Version 3.68S
Copyright 1990-1997 Adaptec, Inc.

and

AIC-78XX/AIC-75XX ASPI Manager for Dos
Version 1.32
Copyright 1994-1997 Adaptec, Inc.

Then I am stuck at:
Scanning PCI bus using Mechanism #2

It pause here.

Thanks

System Integration...yeah right, thanks to marketing, more confusion

RCPilot

Champion
That board doesn't like 98 much. Some can get it going wit 98, they'll chime in here IMO.

Really, XP with SP1 is recommended for that board.

Dazzle them with Brilliance, or Baffle them with BS! :wink:

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
RCPilot:
That board doesn't like 98 much.
Really? I knew win98 had problems with >512Mb RAM, but I didn't realise any actual mobos have problems with it. I had no probs getting win98 going on my 8RDA+ nforce2 mobo (admittedly not the same, but the same chipset...)

Augustus:
Exactly what hardware are you using? what temperatures/voltages does your BIOS report? (Just trying to rule out a hardware/installation problem...)

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

RCPilot

Champion
I've no experience with this board & 98. I've built like a dozen of them, but with XP PRO, SP1. At the time the Nforce 2 came out the drivers & support for it were added in SP1.

I could be wrong, but that's been my understanding all along.

I've read some posts of people struggling with 98. Some get it to run fine, others have a world of trouble. At least that's the feeling I get.

When I build with XP PRO & SP1 the thing virtually builds itself. It comes in with every generic driver it needs from the git go. I just sweeten them up a bit from there.

That's just my experience with the board & observations.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I know there are a few little tweaks that need to be done (e.g. there's a Windows Hotfix that needs to be run to stop soundstorm stuttering) but I didn't find it painful to get 98 running...
*shrugs*
Well, I guess we can only go by our own experiences...

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

RCPilot

Champion
*shrugs*
Well, I guess we can only go by our own experiences...
Truly, I haven't tried to install 98 on these boards, so maybe I shouldn't have said anything.
*shrugs* I don't know.
Hope I didn't cause a misunderstanding.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Hope I didn't cause a misunderstanding.
I'm sure if you pick a mobo and an OS, there'll be loads of people who had problems installing that OS on that mobo... no misunderstanding as far as I can see..

---

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could be an ACPI or IRQ assignment problem. Try turning off ACPT and setting PNP OS-NO in BIOS. Leave it that way at least until all the drivers are installed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

augustus108

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
I have managed to install wins98se on my system, by loading the bios default.
One thing I noticed about the bios, is that the FSB is at 100MHz, it didn't detect my XP2500+. I have to manaully change it to 166MHz (will be OC later once I install all software).

Thanks guys

System Integration...yeah right, thanks to marketing, more confusion