monitor won't recognize signal input

kaly1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
I have the ASUS A7V266-E motherboard on an old computer (call it Computer A) and I recently bought an Arcade FX GeForce 400 (or GeForce 2 MX 400) video card to install. I placed the video card in and changed the hard-drives. When I turn on the computer, the new 17" LCD monitor that I bought reads "no signal input." The old video card, which was removed originally from this computer about 2 months ago, also gave me the same message when re-installed on this computer. When I put the new video card (the GeFOrce 400) in my current Shuttle computer (computer B), it worked fine. When I connected computer A with the new video card to my current monitor (15" LCD) I got a "no signal input" response. When I attached the 17" LCD monitor to computer B, it worked fine.
So, the conclusion is that the new video card is working and the new monitor is working. I did notice that the jumper next to the lithium battery to reset the BIOS was missing. When I replaced the jumper, the computer would not power on (which, according to the manual, should be in place). When I removed the jumper, the computer did power on, but got the "no signal input" message.
I am wondering if this new video card is not compatible with this motherboard. Also, the other possibility is that the AGP slot is missing the white thin piece of wafer that is covered by tape (the slot for the Pro series card, I think) in section of pins closest to the back of the computer. Because this wafer is missing, maybe the sides are making contact when they shouldn't be and that is interfering with the video card signal.
I've been working on this for some time, and I am becoming very frustrated. Please help me. Thank you.

The monitor seems fine, I doubt that's the problem.

Is there any possiblity that the original board has onboard graphics which were originally disabled, but somehow got reset to enabled?

Barton 2500+, 512MB Corsair Platinum XMS 3200 CL2, Radeon 9700, WD Raptor 10,000 rpm S-ATA HDD, Asus A7V600, Enermax 460W SilentPlus PSU.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
hmm.. A7V266-E does not seem to have IGP.. so I doubt that one..

Do you have another video card that you can try in it? maybe there's some incompatability there.

Are you sure the computer is turning on properly (all the fans spin up, it gives a POST beep, etc)?

I assume there are three pins for the BIOS reset jumper? if so then you had the jumper in the wrong position when you replaced it. move it to the other 2 pins. if there are only 2 pins then you'll have to either leave it off, or just stick it on one of the pins (so it's 'overhanging' kind of.)

I know some people have had problems with the mobo sharing IRQs between the AGP slot and the PCI slot immediately adjacent to the AGP slot, but IIRC these problems were with getting cards to work in windows, never anything pre-bootup, but if you have a card in that PCI slot it might be worth removing/moving it.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, it sounds like the video card problem is false, that the hard drives are causing the "No Post" condition. Try unplugging the data cable to the hard drives and see what happens.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Oops. I missed:
and changed the hard-drives.
Teach me to not read thoroughly :eek:

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink: