Which CPU should I purchase?

AEC396

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003
I was curious I need to setup a rendering farm for Imagine 2.0+ I currently have an Athlon 2700 and an Athlon 900 I will be getting three or four more machines. One of them will be a Athlon 64 FX-51 and the other machine will be a Dual "something" machine and there will be a server as well I am not sure if I should buy a dual Xeon machine or a Dual Opteron machine. Which do you think? One advantage is that AMD equipment is more affordable. I really want to get the four Xeon processor, Intel motherboard, the problem is that the motherboard has a price around two thousand dollars plus about eight hundred dollars for each Xeon and I do not know anywhere I can purchase the motherboard. I would like to use a Macintosh because it comes with Dual G5 processors if you want. The G5 is much faster than an Intel chip. The problem is that my software only runs on an IBM computer and I can not use a Macintosh. What do you think I should do?

the fastest most intent graphic machine<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by aec396 on 10/01/03 01:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Have you considered distributed computing?

Anyway, I haven't seen anything that shows the G5 is faster at anything except programs designed for it. Would dual XEONs work? Perhaps dual Athlon MP's? Do you have any 64-bit programs? Operterons put you into Xeon price ranges unfortunately.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>