How do you delete a picture out of the Background list (for Desktop
background) in the Display setting?

Hi,
Windows XP can retrieve wallpaper images from:
C:\Documents and settings\username\My Documents\My Pictures
C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper
C:\Windows\Resources\Themes
C:\WINDOWS... BMP images
C:\ProgramFiles\Plus!\Themes
C:\Documents and settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer.

If you move images from these locations to another folder, they won't show
up in the list under Display Properties> Background. Or, you can delete the
image.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"John Griffin" <johngriffin[at]shaw.ca> wrote in message
> How do you delete a picture out of the Background list (for Desktop
> background) in the Display setting?

Hi Don:

Thanks for the reply. XP is retrieving all the images from 'My Pictures' and
it seems even some of the ones in folders in 'My Pictures' If I move the
image it still appears on the Background List and if I select it all I get is a
blue screen. My Background List is getting very long. Is there a setting I
can change to stop this and have only pictures I select 'Select As Desktop
Background' added to the list?

Thanks again.

John

John

Don Varnau wrote:

> Hi,
> Windows XP can retrieve wallpaper images from:
> C:\Documents and settings\username\My Documents\My Pictures
> C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper
> C:\Windows\Resources\Themes
> C:\WINDOWS... BMP images
> C:\ProgramFiles\Plus!\Themes
> C:\Documents and settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer.
>
> If you move images from these locations to another folder, they won't show
> up in the list under Display Properties> Background. Or, you can delete the
> image.
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE/OE]
>
> "John Griffin" <johngriffin[at]shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > How do you delete a picture out of the Background list (for Desktop
> > background) in the Display setting?

Have you restarted after moving images? You may have to restart to make XP
refresh the wallpaper list.

> Hi Don:
>
> Thanks for the reply. XP is retrieving all the images from 'My Pictures'
and
> it seems even some of the ones in folders in 'My Pictures' If I move the
> image it still appears on the Background List and if I select it all I get
is a
> blue screen. My Background List is getting very long. Is there a setting
> can change to stop this and have only pictures I select 'Select As
Desktop
> Background' added to the list?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> John

> Don Varnau wrote:
> > Windows XP can retrieve wallpaper images from:
> > C:\Documents and settings\username\My Documents\My Pictures
> > C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper
> > C:\Windows\Resources\Themes
> > C:\WINDOWS... BMP images
> > C:\ProgramFiles\Plus!\Themes
> > C:\Documents and settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
> > Explorer.
> >
> > If you move images from these locations to another folder, they won't
show
> > up in the list under Display Properties> Background. Or, you can delete
the
> > image.

> > "John Griffin" <johngriffin[at]shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > > How do you delete a picture out of the Background list (for Desktop
> > > background) in the Display setting?

I have managed to get rid of all the images (except the default XP images) by
removing them from 'My Pictures'. When I moved the images back to 'My Pictures'
they reappeared on the Background List. What is unclear is why all the images I
put in the 'My Pictures' folder are included in the Background List. I don't
want all the images I put in 'My Pictures' to be included in the Background
List. Is there some setting that controls this?

I recently had to have my HDD replaced and do not recall this happening before
XP was installed on the new HDD (includuing SP2)

John