I need a reliable Motherboard...

Craig_Johnson

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
I just got a business customer that wants me to build a couple dozen systems for him over the next year. Since he ships them all over the world to run their instrument controller program I need a reliable motherboard. I really like MSI these days, I used to like ECS, and I definitely don't want to mess with ASUS anymore they've gone down hill too far. I'm not impressed with Biostar, or Elements, and I definitly don't want ANY PC Chips boards. Are there any other quality manufacturers out there to consider?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
aren't ecs and pc chips the same company?

epox asus msi soltek abit gigabyte supermicro albatron

I would buy a board from any of these manufacturers, if it had the features i was looking for.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

PCHardstuff

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
If it's for a business client, you really should go with a cheaper intel board. Stability, price = happier business client. Super-duper Performance is not usually a consideration when running office XP :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel makes the least troublesome boards by making boards that default to the most stable settings, instead of the fastest ones. Supermicro is favored by a lot of companies too. MSI would be a great choice if you simply used the default settings.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Craig_Johnson

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
Well, the client insists on an AMD CPU, and as much as Intel is in bed with Microsoft, I'd rather get someone elses chipset. Many people are wary of the VIA chipsets but for lower cost motherboards they are pretty much the only choice. I think the VIA chipsets have gotten better in the last 2 years as well. So if you throw out Intel and VIA chipsets what are you left with for an AMD CPU? The last Gigabyte board I bought shut off the power to the CPU fan when sleep mode kicked on or DOS mode was invoked, I doubt I'll ever get one of theirs again. Not too impressed with the Abit stories I've heard either...