Format C:

I have a computer with Windows XP Pro. There is a fair bit of junk on the
hard disk. I want to take the following steps:

1) Reformat the hard drive (NTFS)

2) Load a licenced copy of Windows 2000 Pro

3) Immediately upgrade this with a new copy of Windows XP professional
Upgrade that I have just purchased.

I am blocked at the first step... cannot Format C:

The disk is 80 GB. Drive C: is shown as 25 GB with 50 GB unallocated space.

I have followed the "Help" instructions but it doesn't seem to work.

How do I proceed from here ?

Thank you
13 answers Last reply
More about format

    Peter4446 wrote:

    > I have a computer with Windows XP Pro. There is a fair bit of junk on
    > the
    > hard disk. I want to take the following steps:
    >
    > 1) Reformat the hard drive (NTFS)
    >
    > 2) Load a licenced copy of Windows 2000 Pro
    >
    > 3) Immediately upgrade this with a new copy of Windows XP
    > professional Upgrade that I have just purchased.
    >
    > I am blocked at the first step... cannot Format C:
    >
    > The disk is 80 GB. Drive C: is shown as 25 GB with 50 GB unallocated
    > space.
    >
    > I have followed the "Help" instructions but it doesn't seem to work.
    >
    > How do I proceed from here ?
    >
    > Thank you

    You do not need to install Win2k first. During the XP install you'll be
    asked to put your qualifying media (the Win2k installation cd) into the
    drive.

    Boot with the XP cd. You may need to set your computer to boot from the
    cd drive - you do this from within the BIOS setup. Once you've properly
    booted with the XP cd, take the install. Delete all partitions and
    create a new one for XP. Understand that this will wipe everything so
    you will have previously backed up your data. Now install XP on the
    newly-created partition. Put in the Win2k cd as required and follow the
    installation instructions.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Clean Install Windows XP

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "Peter4446" <Peter4446@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a computer with Windows XP Pro. There is a fair bit of junk
    > on the hard disk. I want to take the following steps:
    >
    > 1) Reformat the hard drive (NTFS)
    >
    > 2) Load a licenced copy of Windows 2000 Pro
    >
    > 3) Immediately upgrade this with a new copy of Windows XP
    > professional Upgrade that I have just purchased.
    >
    > I am blocked at the first step... cannot Format C:
    >
    > The disk is 80 GB. Drive C: is shown as 25 GB with 50 GB unallocated
    > space.
    >
    > I have followed the "Help" instructions but it doesn't seem to work.
    >
    > How do I proceed from here ?
    >
    > Thank you

    You cannot format a partition from within the partition, which is what you
    are trying to do!

    Set your BIOS to boot from CD. Insert the W2K disk in the CD Rom drive and
    boot. During the setup process you will be given the opportunity to format
    the C: drive.

    HTH

    Thanks to you all for your comments. Please note that my new Windows XP
    Pro disk is an "Upgrade" version, not the full product. I have been told
    that I cannot just install this from the CD. Hence, my plan to first install
    my full Version of W 2000 pro, then upgrade to XP pro with the new copy.
    However, if I can do it directly that would be a good short cut

    Peter

    Peter4446 wrote:

    > Thanks to you all for your comments. Please note that my new
    > Windows XP
    > Pro disk is an "Upgrade" version, not the full product. I have been
    > told
    > that I cannot just install this from the CD. Hence, my plan to first
    > install my full Version of W 2000 pro, then upgrade to XP pro with the
    > new copy. However, if I can do it directly that would be a good short
    > cut

    I don't know who told you that you couldn't do a clean install with a
    retail upgrade version of XP, but they were incorrect. Enjoy your XP.

    Malke
    --

    Peter4446 wrote:

    > Thanks to you all for your comments. Please note that my new
    > Windows XP Pro disk is an "Upgrade" version, not the full product.
    > I have been told that I cannot just install this from the CD. Hence,
    > my plan to first install my full Version of W 2000 pro, then upgrade
    > to XP pro with the new copy. However, if I can do it directly that
    > would be a good short cut

    Peter, you've been told incorrectly. It doesn't matter that it's an Upgrade
    version.The requirement to use an upgrade version is to *own* a previous
    qualifying version's installation CD, not to have it installed. When setup
    doesn't find a previous qualifying version installed, it will prompt you to
    insert its CD as proof of ownership. Just insert the Windows 2000 CD, and
    follow the prompts. Everything proceeds quite normally and quite
    legitimately.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 06:19:27 -0700, Peter4446
    <Peter4446@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Thanks to you all for your comments. Please note that my new Windows XP
    > Pro disk is an "Upgrade" version, not the full product. I have been told
    > that I cannot just install this from the CD. Hence, my plan to first install
    > my full Version of W 2000 pro, then upgrade to XP pro with the new copy.
    > However, if I can do it directly that would be a good short cut
    >
    > Peter

    Let us repeat: You do NOT need to install Windows 2000 in order to do
    a clean install. Just boot using the XP upgrade disc, and direct the
    installer to partition and format your C: drive as NTFS.

    It is ALSO not necessary to UPGRADE to XP after installing Windows
    2000, but you can do it, if you choose, from within the XP installer.
    In either case, if the XP installer tells you that it cannot find a
    qualifying product, just insert your Windows 2000 install disc, and
    point the installer to it. The XP installer will examine the disc, to
    see if it is legitimate, and if it finds that it is, it will tell you
    to replace the Windows 2000 disc with the XP installation disc. After
    that, the XP installation will continue normally.

    Personally, I do NOT advise you to upgrade Windows 2000 to XP (tho it
    is better than upgrading Windows 9x). I always prefer "clean"
    installs over upgrades. Make sure you search for and obtain XP
    drivers for all your devices, such as motherboards, monitors, mice and
    keyboards, external drives, modems, scanners, etc. If you cannot find
    an XP driver for a device, you might try a Windows 2000 driver. If
    you cannot find that, you might as well sell the device you have no XP
    driver for, or toss it in the trash bin , since it will be completely
    unusable with XP. Also make sure you physically unplug any external
    devices (except your keyboard, mouse, or monitor) before you begin the
    install.

    Donald

    > "Gordon" wrote:
    >
    > > "Peter4446" <Peter4446@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have a computer with Windows XP Pro. There is a fair bit of junk
    > > > on the hard disk. I want to take the following steps:
    > > >
    > > > 1) Reformat the hard drive (NTFS)
    > > >
    > > > 2) Load a licenced copy of Windows 2000 Pro
    > > >
    > > > 3) Immediately upgrade this with a new copy of Windows XP
    > > > professional Upgrade that I have just purchased.
    > > >
    > > > I am blocked at the first step... cannot Format C:
    > > >
    > > > The disk is 80 GB. Drive C: is shown as 25 GB with 50 GB unallocated
    > > > space.
    > > >
    > > > I have followed the "Help" instructions but it doesn't seem to work.
    > > >
    > > > How do I proceed from here ?
    > > >
    > > > Thank you
    > >
    > > You cannot format a partition from within the partition, which is what you
    > > are trying to do!
    > >
    > > Set your BIOS to boot from CD. Insert the W2K disk in the CD Rom drive and
    > > boot. During the setup process you will be given the opportunity to format
    > > the C: drive.
    > >
    > > HTH

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that conversations may be kept in order

    I have tried advice above... I am able to install XP Pro, but it will not
    allow me at any stage (during setup or after) to Format C: Nor will it
    allow me to expand the current partition on C: (25 GB Basic NTFS) to the full
    80 GB. (The rest is unallocated space).

    I need to reformat this hard disk to get rid of all the old rubbish.
    Help says "Cannot reformat system partition or boot partition" but this is
    exactly what I want to reformat, including the unallocated space. Will then
    reload XP.

    I tried to install W2000 to format, but W XP disabled W 2000 install. If
    necessary I will uninstall W XP and then try to format C:

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Peter

    "Ken Blake" wrote:

    > Peter4446 wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks to you all for your comments. Please note that my new
    > > Windows XP Pro disk is an "Upgrade" version, not the full product.
    > > I have been told that I cannot just install this from the CD. Hence,
    > > my plan to first install my full Version of W 2000 pro, then upgrade
    > > to XP pro with the new copy. However, if I can do it directly that
    > > would be a good short cut
    >

    > Peter, you've been told incorrectly. It doesn't matter that it's an Upgrade
    > version.The requirement to use an upgrade version is to *own* a previous
    > qualifying version's installation CD, not to have it installed. When setup
    > doesn't find a previous qualifying version installed, it will prompt you to
    > insert its CD as proof of ownership. Just insert the Windows 2000 CD, and
    > follow the prompts. Everything proceeds quite normally and quite
    > legitimately.
    >

    > --
    > Ken Blake
    > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    You must "boot from the Windows XP CD" in order to get
    the option to format the drive. Follow the instructions:

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    Peter4446 wrote:

    > I have tried advice above... I am able to install XP Pro, but it will
    > not allow me at any stage (during setup or after) to Format C:

    Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if necessary to
    accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean installation (delete the
    existing partition by pressing "D" when prompted, then create a new one).

    You can find detailed instructions here:

    or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

    or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

    > Nor
    > will it allow me to expand the current partition on C: (25 GB Basic
    > NTFS) to the full 80 GB. (The rest is unallocated space).

    No, you can not do that.

    > I need to reformat this hard disk to get rid of all the old rubbish.
    > Help says "Cannot reformat system partition or boot partition" but
    > this is exactly what I want to reformat, including the unallocated
    > space. Will then reload XP.

    That sounds like you're trying to install from within Windows. You can't do
    that. It would leave Windows without a leg to stand on. You have to boot
    from the Windows CD, as I said above.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    > I tried to install W2000 to format, but W XP disabled W 2000 install.
    > If necessary I will uninstall W XP and then try to format C:
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> Peter4446 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks to you all for your comments. Please note that my new
    >>> Windows XP Pro disk is an "Upgrade" version, not the full product.
    >>> I have been told that I cannot just install this from the CD.
    >>> Hence, my plan to first install my full Version of W 2000 pro, then
    >>> upgrade to XP pro with the new copy. However, if I can do it
    >>> directly that would be a good short cut
    >>

    >> Peter, you've been told incorrectly. It doesn't matter that it's an
    >> Upgrade version.The requirement to use an upgrade version is to
    >> *own* a previous qualifying version's installation CD, not to have
    >> it installed. When setup doesn't find a previous qualifying version
    >> installed, it will prompt you to insert its CD as proof of
    >> ownership. Just insert the Windows 2000 CD, and follow the prompts.
    >> Everything proceeds quite normally and quite legitimately.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ken Blake
    >> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Thank you all for the advice. Its now working... have deleted unwanted
    partition and am in process of formating C: !! Previously I started with CD
    in drive and it seemed to boot from that (but apparently not). This time I
    changed the BIOS to boot from CD.... and as a result, Setup worked properly.
    Thanks again guys, great help.

    Peter

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Peter4446" wrote:
    >
    > | I have tried advice above... I am able to install XP Pro, but it will not
    > | allow me at any stage (during setup or after) to Format C: Nor will it
    > | allow me to expand the current partition on C: (25 GB Basic NTFS) to the full
    > | 80 GB. (The rest is unallocated space).
    > |
    > | I need to reformat this hard disk to get rid of all the old rubbish.
    > | Help says "Cannot reformat system partition or boot partition" but this is
    > | exactly what I want to reformat, including the unallocated space. Will then
    > | reload XP.
    > |
    > | I tried to install W2000 to format, but W XP disabled W 2000 install. If
    > | necessary I will uninstall W XP and then try to format C:

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:41:15 -0700, Peter4446
    <Peter4446@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Thank you all for the advice. Its now working... have deleted unwanted
    > partition and am in process of formating C: !! Previously I started with CD
    > in drive and it seemed to boot from that (but apparently not). This time I
    > changed the BIOS to boot from CD.... and as a result, Setup worked properly.
    > Thanks again guys, great help.
    >
    > Peter

    What you are describing is properly referred to as "Starting the XP
    Setup program from within Windows", not "booting the machine using the
    XP CD", as we advised.

    Peter4446 wrote:
    > Thanks to you all for your comments. Please note that my new Windows XP
    > Pro disk is an "Upgrade" version, not the full product. I have been told
    > that I cannot just install this from the CD. Hence, my plan to first install
    > my full Version of W 2000 pro, then upgrade to XP pro with the new copy.
    > However, if I can do it directly that would be a good short cut
    >
    > Peter

    You were misinformed. It's quite possible to perform a clean
    installation using the Upgrade CD, provided you have the true
    installation CD for the earlier OS.

    Simply boot from the WinXP Upgrade CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. The Upgrade CD checks to see if a qualifying OS
    is installed, and, if it finds none, it asks you to insert the
    installation media (CD) of that OS. Unfortunately, an OEM
    "Recovery/Restore" CD will not work for this purpose; you must have a
    true installation CD, complete with the "\Win98" folder and *.cab
    files, or the "\i386" folder of WinNT/2K.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm