Drive detection? Jumpers??

nimrod

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
I got a Gigabyte mobo GA-8knxp and I have a quantum 340 mb drive (parallel ide), a Maxtor 250 gb parallel ide drive, and a western digital 250 gb SATA drive. I've tried different jumper settings, different cable configurations, and different bios settings, but it only detects the ide drive that's on the end of the IDE port 1. I have one cd drive also (I'll get another later). What do I have to do to get this to detect all of the drives? I want the SATA for the primary, 250gb for secondary, then 340mb for tertiary. I was going to have each of the two optical drives on separate ide cables, the 2 ide HDD on one cable, and then the SATA drive.

Also, I have 2 sticks of Geil golden dragon 512mb pc3200 DDR, but the bios just says there's 512 mb there. I have the sticks in each orange slot on the mobo. I've switched the sticks and get the same result. All 4 LEDs on the DDR light up.

Maybe it's a little early to make this thing a target...

Thanks for the advice.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
geil is commonly known to miss mark their memory, just out of curiosity are their memory chips on both sides of the module? If not there is a good possiblity that they were miss marked 256mb modules.

For the hard drives, put the Sata drive on its controler, then put the WD drive on the primary ide controllor and set it to master, and the 2nd drive, plug into the primary ide controlor and set it as slave, that should work out fine.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

nimrod

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
I finally got my system to at least recognize all 4 of my drives. I did like you said and put the small and large ide drive (slave in the middle of the cable, master on end) on IDE1, the cd drive on IDE2 (master), and the SATA on SATA0. partitioned the 2 250gb drives into thirds, but couldn't format them. Windows xp finally agreed to install onto the SATA drive, but the system still wanted the master on IDE1 to be C:,the little drive was D:, the first part of the SATA was E:, the second part on the IDE master was F:, then G: & H: for the last 2 parts on the SATA drive. It thought the F: part of the big IDE drive was smaller and that it was just a 137gb drive. All of the system boot files are still on C: with windows on E:, so I tried to copy all of the boot files onto E: so I could reformat & partition the big ide again. Changed the bios to boot from SCSI instead of HD1, but there's some error that "NTLDR" is missing and it halts. I'm still working with that issue. Not sure what will happen when I get a DVD burner and try to put that on IDE3 so that I can copy from one optical drive to the other quickly (separate cables). I think the trick with the IDE 3 & 4 is in one of the raid controllers or something. Does this make sense??

On the memory side of the house, I had 2 512 sticks of crucial DDR that I put in and it saw all of that memory. I put the golden dragon in also and it just saw half of the mem. The golden dragon does have chips on both sides (16 chips on each stick that say "32M8" on them makes 512) and swapping them has the same effect. I ran all of the tests of memcheck86 and passed them all. Only the 1.5gb showed though with 2gb installed. I even installed the dragons into the 2 orange slots and the crucial into the purple slots and it still saw 1.5gb. Surprising considering the purple slots were supposed to be single sided only. It won't boot with an odd # of sticks though. It won't boot with all 4 sticks in all 4 purple slots and the 2 orange slots empty. But it will boot with the orange slots filled, then the other 2 sticks in adjacent slots (different channels) (it says memory is single channel then though)
I wanted CL2 memory and I heard that the Kingston pc3200 isn't good for CL2 at 200mhz, but the pc3500 can, so I think I'll sell the 4 memory sticks I have and get 4 sticks of Kingston 512 pc3500.

Anyone think this will work?? Anyone else have problems seeing half of their memory with Geil and gigabyte mobos?

TRENDING THREADS