bill

Appears that some sort of virus took me by surprise. It wiped out most
of my .jpg files (from dig. camera) and my TB email account.

The only thing I did prior was run AdAware in safe mode for XP.

I use AVG, Zone alarm Panicware's popup stopper.

Is there any hope of getting my pics back?

tks all.

I use xp home edition.

bill

No way to know, since a virus did the damage and we don't know how the virus
operates.

Using XP's search feature, search your hard disk for files ending in .jpg.
Be sure to include subfolders, system folders and hidden files and folders
in the search. If the .jpgs were erased, the only way to recover them is
from a backup.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"bill" <nospamhere@drmscp.com> wrote in message
> Appears that some sort of virus took me by surprise. It wiped out most
> of my .jpg files (from dig. camera) and my TB email account.
>
> The only thing I did prior was run AdAware in safe mode for XP.
>
> I use AVG, Zone alarm Panicware's popup stopper.
>
> Is there any hope of getting my pics back?
>
> tks all.
>
> I use xp home edition.
>

> bill

How do you know it was a virus? What signs are you getting and how are you
attempting to clean it?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"bill" <nospamhere@drmscp.com> wrote in message
> Appears that some sort of virus took me by surprise. It wiped out most of
> my .jpg files (from dig. camera) and my TB email account.
>
> The only thing I did prior was run AdAware in safe mode for XP.
>
> I use AVG, Zone alarm Panicware's popup stopper.
>
> Is there any hope of getting my pics back?
>
> tks all.
>
> I use xp home edition.
>

> bill

bill

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> How do you know it was a virus? What signs are you getting and how are you
> attempting to clean it?

you're right Rick, not sure if it was a birus at all. It seemed to wipe
out my pics .jpg's not all of the jpg's on the system in other image
viewing programs, just loose ones in my picutres folder.

wiped out my Thunderbird email pgm too.

I searched system, even hidden files, no luck.

will run defrag now.

tks Rick.

bill

bill

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> How do you know it was a virus? What signs are you getting and how
are you
> attempting to clean it?

you're right Rick, not sure if it was a birus at all. It seemed to wipe
out my pics .jpg's not all of the jpg's on the system in other image
viewing programs, just loose ones in my picutres folder.

wiped out my Thunderbird email pgm too.

I searched system, even hidden files, no luck.

will run defrag now.

tks Rick.

bill

Hi Bill,

Virus tend to mutate or overwrite files, not delete them. Check the Recycle
Bin, and try an undelete utility.

This one here works quite well for basic file recovery:
http://www.all-freeware.com/gu4.htm

--

> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>> How do you know it was a virus? What signs are you getting and how are
>> you attempting to clean it?
>>
> you're right Rick, not sure if it was a birus at all. It seemed to wipe
> out my pics .jpg's not all of the jpg's on the system in other image
> viewing programs, just loose ones in my picutres folder.
>
> wiped out my Thunderbird email pgm too.
>
> I searched system, even hidden files, no luck.
>
> will run defrag now.
>
> tks Rick.
>
> bill

bill

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> Virus tend to mutate or overwrite files, not delete them. Check the Recycle
> Bin, and try an undelete utility.
>
> This one here works quite well for basic file recovery:
> http://www.all-freeware.com/gu4.htm

tks Rick, am working on it now.

bw