smax1

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2003
can I ask I,m biulding a new PC and I have this question 4 any1 interested. I do a lot of amatuar video/audio stuff etc...what I want to know is what part of a comp do I need to center on to make larges files (editing etc)more manouverable....or just managagable if you see what I mean ?
I know rendering and m-peg encoding etc are all dependent on the general hardware but what "part of the PC" actually makes editing say 100mb segments of a video.
Like say I have 20 files of such size and I want to edit them in Pinnacle studio. My PC at the moment wont even render more than 2/3 minutes of fully uncommpessed AVI, let alone move files that big without my pc crashing to the ground halfway through.
It`s a gereral question bearing in mind the obvious hardware neccesities. Is bandwith the detail I should be thinking about or north southbridge speed (mmh, not that).
hardisk speed, ram etc....the way I,ve tended to look at it is FSB......but is this the case, if not how does bandwith benifit a PC in realworld terms, and also dual ram is that what I should be thinking about....cl2 ! or 2.5 but not any slower, as I say it`s a general question....sorry bout da grammer... .

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
For graphic rendering, you want a fairly fast system, with a good amount of RAM, dual channel if possible. As for speed, if you want it really fast, set up a RAID 0 (striping) array with a couple of 7200 or 10K RPM drives.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
GF3 ti200 64MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB (Storage)
Maxtor 6GB (System)
Maxtor 120GB
LG 24x24x32 CDR
WIN2K PRo SP4

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
This is what i would recomend.

fast hard drive/s
p4 with 800mhz fsb (the p4 rapes the Athlon in encoding)
dual chanel pc3200 ram
865pe chipset
large amounts of ram (if your not overclocking just get cas 2.5 ram as the p4 does not really noticably benifit from LL ram)

BTW your system crashing while media encoding leads me to beleive you may have an overheating component

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

smax1

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2003
thanks Sparky en P111 man....so going with the P4`s FSB is a factor maby thanks. I was going to go 4 dual 400mhz XMS memory (Corsair) but your advise is welcomed, said my wallet. What I really want is the power to manouver these hugh files so to speak in windows. at the mo I,m still running my 440bx intel bourd (yep still workin) I must say it`s a good bourd considering I can still do things that more well specked recent generic PC`S cant do, and I mean 2002 pc`s,( maby apart from graphics editing ).....anyway what do you know about the MSI Neo2 moby. !Iwas wondering how reliable this bourd is..(dual400....ram, sprindale chip etc )as far as drives go I,m only just getting into hardrives but a couple of 7200rpm drives in striped raid sounds about right then....I,m not sure wether that bourd is sata or not, I read it`s not really a worthwhile way 2 go as yet(sata)....do correct me if I,m wrong. does the 8mb buffer really benifit access times 4 what I want, and I,m been told the rapter drives r a bit noisy and pricy....is that still true.. !.thanks guys 4 your replies I just need a decent system that will last as long as my present one has:-NEC 550mhz, 440bz-2, 512 crap ram, voodoo3 etc......by the way I just think it`s to knackered to deal with such hugh files but thanks I will look into the overheating thing. If my new PC works half as well as my present pile of poo I will still continue to pursue my addictive hobbie of nerdiness....power 2 da pc...... !

TRENDING THREADS