HP Proliant ML 370 G3

norm

I just bought a new Proliant ML 370 G3. It came with 2-256 ddr memory
installed. HP had a free memory upgrade promotion for 2-256 memory
sticks, for a total of 1024 Mb memory. 2-256 memory was already
installed and the extra 2-256 sticks where packaged and boxed. The
original 2-256 memory chips are installed in slots A1,A2. I put the
extra 2-256 memory chips in the next available slots B3,B4. When I
power on the server I get the lovely continous beep. I take out the
extra 2-256 memory chips and the server boots wonderfully showing 512
memory. I take the original memory out and put in the extra memory in
slot A1, A2, The server boots fine. I add the original memory in
slot B3,B4 and I get the nice contiuous Beep. All four memory chips
are the same, and Identical. both work as 1 pair 2-256 but not
together as 2 pair 4-256 for 1024 total. Is there a setting in the
bios I have to enable for adding extra memory? all the manuals just
say to plug and play so to speak. No mention of jump setting or
anything. I would welcome any suggestions on this, before I call hp
tech support.

Thanks

Norman

Nearly all computers these days autosense and detect the capacities of the
memory installed. Memory configuration juimpers disappeared from nearly all
computer systems at about the same time the Pentium CPU was introduced.

I'm not familiar with the Proliant ML 370 G3, but here are some general
questions:

1. Are there other memory sockets in addition to A1, A2, B3, B4 ??? If so, how
are they marked?

2. Are extra 2x256MB memory sticks IDENTICAL to the pair already in the machine?
Same part numbers? Same number of chips, and maybe even same chip manufacturer?

3. Did you try both pairs, original and "free", in sockets A1 & A2 ??? If so,
with what result?

Maybe this will help shed some light on the problem... Ben Myers