Boot Record in file folder on desktop icon

A folder appeared on my desktop with a .dat file and could not open this
because of warning, tried to send to my documents, would not do. Scanned with
Norton virus and no virus but Norton page said Boot Record, so I am assuming
that's what is in the folder. HELP PLEASE! Any and all advise will be
appreciated.

It may only be stray piece of a failed email message. I've seen email attachments show up as .dat when the email system or the originator's system had a problem. Is it possible you extracted or saved such an attachment to your desktop?

I suggest you delete that file, let it sit in Recycle Bin for a few days, and use your system as you ordinarily do.

..DAT files may be text, and those you can open with Notepad.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User