LinksFx

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2003
Hey i'm new to this site great site. You guys have inspired me to buy a Gigabyte GA-7NNXP. I'm running a AMD 2600+ (333)FSB, ATI 9500 Pro, 512 DDR 333, a WD 80GB Hard drive. I'm not sure if that makes a difference but i'm haveing problems with the fan that's on my NORTHBRIDGE Chip for some reason is stoped running! I'm looked in the Bios to see if there was a option to turn it off/on and the wasn't that i could find. My system has locked up twice since it's been like that. Like when i go into the Bios it turns on then when i'm in windows is turns off and on. Can you guys help me please!! i'd like to know why it's doing this
Thanx for you time.

Nick

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
..because the 40 mm fans are crappy and fail often.

If your motherboard is still under warranty (or even if it's not) try contacting the manufacturer. Chances are they will send you replacement for free.

If they won't replace it just buy a new one or a new chipset cooler.

You can even recycle something like a 486 HSF but you'd have to use a thermal adhesive.

Temporarily you can remove the old fan and use a drop of light machine oil to lubricate it. To do this, carefully peel off the back label (the label with power specifications, etc) and put one small drop of oil on the spindle. Replace the label or use tape to reseal. Return the fan to its place.

It might work for several weeks to a few months before you have problems again.

If you were running a 133 Mhz bus I would just say to leave the fan off since many northbridges don't have active cooling anyway. You seem to be running a 166 Mhz (333) bus so it's probably not a good idea to go without a fan. (In a pinch though, it's better than leaving a dead fan sitting there until you get a replacement).

<b>[edited for typos]</b>

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 10/03/03 12:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>