Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows XP Mode on windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
October 2, 2009 8:30:59 PM

Quote:
One main reason is security. For example, a shared family PC means that the kids are using Web browsers and surfing the wilds of the Internet. Even if you’re running robust anti-virus software and firewalls, it’s all too easy to accidentally download a Trojan or other nasty malware. The solution: encapsulate all the
browsers using Windows XP Mode. The user experience will be pretty transparent, and the virtual machine adds another layer of protection.

thats a quote from tomshardware article about windows xp mode in wnidows 7, but how does that protect your primary windows 7? if the files that you save using xp mode are actually saved on windows 7 doesn't that mean that windows 7 will get infected with the virus? or did i miss understand something.

More about : windows mode windows

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2009 8:51:29 PM

...because (logically) it's a separate operating system, and therefore on a system level any items downloaded to the (virtual) XP side of the house have additional hurdles to overcome if they are to move through that environment.

IT folks call it a "Sandbox", and that's a pretty decent analogy. Think of it like having a Sandbox(XP mode) in your yard (Win7). If the neighborhood cats decide to "use" the sandbox, the yard as a whole isn't affected. And if it gets bad enough, you can take the sandbox out and install another, and the yard *still* isn't affected. And if anything in the sandbox wants out, there is another hurdle to pass through.

Here's a decent article on the topic: http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Security-Through...
October 3, 2009 2:56:32 AM

Scotteq said:
...because (logically) it's a separate operating system, and therefore on a system level any items downloaded to the (virtual) XP side of the house have additional hurdles to overcome if they are to move through that environment.

IT folks call it a "Sandbox", and that's a pretty decent analogy. Think of it like having a Sandbox(XP mode) in your yard (Win7). If the neighborhood cats decide to "use" the sandbox, the yard as a whole isn't affected. And if it gets bad enough, you can take the sandbox out and install another, and the yard *still* isn't affected. And if anything in the sandbox wants out, there is another hurdle to pass through.

Here's a decent article on the topic: http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Security-Through...

so how does vm differ from xp mode based on security are both the same thing?
m
l
Related resources
October 3, 2009 5:26:37 AM

intelx said:
so how does vm differ from xp mode based on security are both the same thing?

Running a Virtual Machine with XP gives you the same benefit as would 7 Professional with XP mode (which is why I'm buying Home Premium and installing my older XP on virtual pc if I cant afford Professional 64-bit). All that's different is that Microsoft's giving you a VM built-in, with a legit XP install. I like the way this is going because it brings to light the use of virtual machines to businesses who still use legacy systems to run older programs. They gain more security by using the newer operating systems and at the same time retain all their previous functionality thanks to their hardware-accelerated VMs running Win 98, 95, or whatever.
m
l
October 3, 2009 5:36:57 AM

cool, but is it true that windows xp mode on windows 7 does not support direct d3d ? but in VM it does.

so for example if i want to play an old game that requires high graphics card power and im only able to play it on windows xp, i wont be able to do it on windows xp mode in windows 7 but will be able to do it on vm?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 5, 2009 1:24:21 PM

intelx said:
cool, but is it true that windows xp mode on windows 7 does not support direct d3d ? but in VM it does.

so for example if i want to play an old game that requires high graphics card power and im only able to play it on windows xp, i wont be able to do it on windows xp mode in windows 7 but will be able to do it on vm?

I'm not aware of any virtual machines which support hardware acceleration for Video. If you're looking for XP Mode to solve an issue with gaming, you're going to be disappointed - It's not made for that at all.
m
l
!