Backup file in utilities missing?

You know how you are supposed to go to start, all programs then accessories
and point to system tools and click backup, well the word backup is not
there. It was there yesterday Aug 22, I saw it , I did nothing in my computer
deleting or moving anything. I come home from work and was going to try to
backup a file or something , because I never used that yet. Well the word
backup is missing. Anyone know what I should do? Thanks for you help, Barbara

Hi Barbara,

Click start/run, type ntbackup.exe and click ok. This should start the
utility if it is installed.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You know how you are supposed to go to start, all programs then
> accessories
> and point to system tools and click backup, well the word backup is not
> there. It was there yesterday Aug 22, I saw it , I did nothing in my
> computer
> deleting or moving anything. I come home from work and was going to try to
> backup a file or something , because I never used that yet. Well the word
> backup is missing. Anyone know what I should do? Thanks for you help,
> Barbara

I did what you said and window cannot file folder, I searched all files and
folders using word backup, I searched utilities and only 3 items in c/drive,
say logo sign dell hints & tips another logo sign service.dell (service
dell.com and one file c:dell file foler 1. Still don't have the word
displaying backup to do, any other suggestons would be helpful. Thanks for
your help on this matter, Barbara

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Barbara,
>
> Click start/run, type ntbackup.exe and click ok. This should start the
> utility if it is installed.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > You know how you are supposed to go to start, all programs then
> > accessories
> > and point to system tools and click backup, well the word backup is not
> > there. It was there yesterday Aug 22, I saw it , I did nothing in my
> > computer
> > deleting or moving anything. I come home from work and was going to try to
> > backup a file or something , because I never used that yet. Well the word
> > backup is missing. Anyone know what I should do? Thanks for you help,
> > Barbara

Are you using XP HOME?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You know how you are supposed to go to start, all programs then
> accessories
> and point to system tools and click backup, well the word backup is not
> there. It was there yesterday Aug 22, I saw it , I did nothing in my
> computer
> deleting or moving anything. I come home from work and was going to try to
> backup a file or something , because I never used that yet. Well the word
> backup is missing. Anyone know what I should do? Thanks for you help,
> Barbara

Hi Barbara,

WinXP Home by chance? It is not installed by default and must be added to
these systems.

HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894

--

>I did what you said and window cannot file folder, I searched all files and
> folders using word backup, I searched utilities and only 3 items in
> c/drive,
> say logo sign dell hints & tips another logo sign service.dell (service
> dell.com and one file c:dell file foler 1. Still don't have the word
> displaying backup to do, any other suggestons would be helpful. Thanks for
> your help on this matter, Barbara
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Barbara,
>>
>> Click start/run, type ntbackup.exe and click ok. This should start the
>> utility if it is installed.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > You know how you are supposed to go to start, all programs then
>> > accessories
>> > and point to system tools and click backup, well the word backup is not
>> > there. It was there yesterday Aug 22, I saw it , I did nothing in my
>> > computer
>> > deleting or moving anything. I come home from work and was going to try
>> > backup a file or something , because I never used that yet. Well the
>> > word
>> > backup is missing. Anyone know what I should do? Thanks for you help,
>> > Barbara

Yes I have Microsoft window xp home edition version 2002 service pack 2 , its
a pentium (r) p4 2.80ghz 2.70 ghz, 512 mb of ram. And by the way, your quote
fits me to a tee, lol. You guys are great by the way, you have been a light
in my darkness.
Maybe I should download install backup from cd-rom windows xp home edition,
what could it hurt? Yes?

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> Are you using XP HOME?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > You know how you are supposed to go to start, all programs then
> > accessories
> > and point to system tools and click backup, well the word backup is not
> > there. It was there yesterday Aug 22, I saw it , I did nothing in my
> > computer
> > deleting or moving anything. I come home from work and was going to try to
> > backup a file or something , because I never used that yet. Well the word
> > backup is missing. Anyone know what I should do? Thanks for you help,
> > Barbara

Backup is not installed by default with Windows XP Home. It has to be
installed by YOU - on purpose. Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of Home
available to get the path to the install, so I can't point you to it. I am
sure others will step in here and lead you to it.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,

Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:

> Backup is not installed by default with Windows XP Home. It has to be
> installed by YOU - on purpose. Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of
> Home available to get the path to the install, so I can't point you
> to it. I am sure others will step in here and lead you to it.

Glad to oblige.
If you have the complete XP Home CD, find backup on the CD, in
\ValueAdd\MSFT\NTBACKUP and install it yourself by doubleclicking the file
ntbackup.msi.

If you don't have an XP CD, you can download ntbackup.msi at

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Thank you Ken!

--

> Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
>
>> Backup is not installed by default with Windows XP Home. It has to be
>> installed by YOU - on purpose. Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of
>> Home available to get the path to the install, so I can't point you
>> to it. I am sure others will step in here and lead you to it.
>

> Glad to oblige.
> If you have the complete XP Home CD, find backup on the CD, in
> \ValueAdd\MSFT\NTBACKUP and install it yourself by doubleclicking the file
> ntbackup.msi.
>

> If you don't have an XP CD, you can download ntbackup.msi at
>
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi
>

> --
> Ken Blake
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

I have the operating system reinstallation cd microsoft windows xp home
edition including service pack 2. It said software is already installed on
your computer only use this cd to reinstall the operating system on a dell
computer . This cd is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers. So are
you saying if I use this cd, a screen will come up showing items to pick to
download, and to find MSFT/NTBACKUP? Don't want to put cd in and I mess up
with another reinstallation of everything and I have problems. Please advise,
Thanks, Barbara

As written above, go here http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi
and download the file. Install it if you want, then go here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q309340#appliesto to read about how to use it in XP home. You do have a 2nd hard disk drive installed of course (to save the .bkf to because it will not save the file to CD or DVD).

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff

"Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DCBCD3E0-48CA-42B7-B0D1-1223EC17032F@microsoft.com...
|I have the operating system reinstallation cd microsoft windows xp home
| edition including service pack 2. It said software is already installed on
| your computer only use this cd to reinstall the operating system on a dell
| computer . This cd is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers. So are
| you saying if I use this cd, a screen will come up showing items to pick to
| download, and to find MSFT/NTBACKUP? Don't want to put cd in and I mess up
| with another reinstallation of everything and I have problems. Please advise,
| Thanks, Barbara

2nd hard disk drive installed? Now I am confused, it that something I have to
do first? Please advise and thank you for your help, Barbara

Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:

> Thank you Ken!

You're welcome, Richard.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

>> Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
>>
>>> Backup is not installed by default with Windows XP Home. It has to
>>> be installed by YOU - on purpose. Unfortunately, I do not have a
>>> copy of Home available to get the path to the install, so I can't
>>> point you to it. I am sure others will step in here and lead you to
>>> it.
>>

>> Glad to oblige.
>> If you have the complete XP Home CD, find backup on the CD, in
>> \ValueAdd\MSFT\NTBACKUP and install it yourself by doubleclicking
>> the file ntbackup.msi.
>>

>> If you don't have an XP CD, you can download ntbackup.msi at
>>
>> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi
>>

>> --
>> Ken Blake
>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Patience! I only just got back to this thread. (-:

Thank You.