A7v333 Crashing up

Mothr

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
Crap.
a year ago I bought an asus A7v333 mobo, an xp 1800+ cpu, kingston value 512mb Pc2700, that has run fine for approximately a year now. Ok, so Asus released some new bios updates supporting new cpu's with fsb 333.
Great I thought so I went out and purchased, a new barton xp 2800+, with 333 Fsb. Since I installed it on my mobo, I've had the system freezing several times a day. A reinstall of xp does nothing to solve the problem.
system today:
A7v333 Bios 1017 latest officical released version.
Barton Xp 2800+
Gforce 3 Gti200 128mb
512 mb kingston value pc2700
2 x 80 gig in raid

Now I've come to the conclusion that the problem must be the mobo and the processor. I've tested the memory with mem-86 and found 0 errors, so it can't be memory. And the bios settings is as far as I can conclude correct for fsb 333.
I've done a search on the net to find solutions for my problem, but it seems like the A7v333 even though highly praised by THG and others at that time is not with out flaws, when it gets to the newest cpu's xp 2400 and upwards.

So it seems if I want to use my new cpu, I'm gonna have to get a new mobo, but the question is which one to buy for my konfig. I have the following demands for it:

It should be able to run my new Cpu, my ram, and it should have Ide133 raid 0 capability, besides that I could give a rats a.. for any other added features.

Another question is this: I can gather by reading around on THG, that the nforce II chip set seems to be the best thing around, but can a mobo with 400 Fsb, run with my konfig ?

Phew, that was a bit of a typing, but thanks for reading through it :p
And your help and suggestions is -=greatly=- appreciated.

Mothr

G

Asus A7N8X Deluxe! Many here seem to like this board. I myself am going to get one soon, whenever I upgrade. But I will get the non-deluxe, since I don't need RAID.

Mothr

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
Hmm, as far as I can read on Asus's website, there is no raid on neither the standard nor deluxe version. The Dfi Ultra LanII seems nice though, anyone got any objections to this one ?

pat

Expert
your Asus should run your barton CPU. I would try another memory module or raise the cpu voltage a bit. Most nforce2 board are tricky about memory. And a good board that run a barton and have RAID, I can recommend the soltek sl 75frn2-rl. I have one here, run my 2500+ @ 3000+ (10.5x200 instead of 11x166) and serial to parallele adapter for my parallele wD1200jb in RAID 0.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pat on 10/05/03 03:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mgame

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I have the same board and bios. Did you have any probs with setting the voltage for the CPU? I just bought a XP 2500 and AMD site says 1.65. The lowest you and I can get is 1.70.

If you were to go Asus again I'd get there latest Nforce2 board MaximumPC gave it 10:10 and so did Motherboards.org also get great reviews on this site. A7N8X Deluxe

Mothr

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
Nah, I've had no such problem, I run the jumperless configuration on the mobo, at the settings is as far as I can see right in the Bios.