MSI 745 Ultra - SIS Chipset

firefinch

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
I have an MSI 745 Ultra with a SIS Chipset and I heard that SIS chipsets may not be that much reliable? Is it true?

Apart from that is the nVidia nForce2 chipsets the upcoming chipsets? How do they fare?

I use sis for both my amd and p4 systems. I've found that sis overclocks about the same as Intel chipsets. The 745 chipset is outdated; I beleive the latest is the 748. In general, the sis boards for amd have fewer overclocking options in the bios. Nforce2 is the better choice.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
MSI 745 Ultra was a good board, the SiS 735 and 745 were extremely reliable, competing against inferior VIA chipsets.

nForce2 has been around for a long time now, it's the premium chipset series for XP processors.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Im using your board. IMHO its a very stable, relatively fast board that I got much for cheaper than competing KT266A (SiS745 Outperforms this I think) boards were going for at the time. Even though it doesnt officially support 166FSB I have it running a Tbred b at 166 x 12.5 absolutely fine, without any modifications.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6752830" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>