Any tri-core gamers out there who can give me some advice?

zach377

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Im having trouble deciding between a tri and quad core budget processor. My basic question is then, how well are your games working with your tri-core? Can you utilise multicore rendering still with 3 cores? Im choosing between AMD's Athlon II x4 and Phenom II x3. Benchmarking from Tom's hardware and the like are pointing towards the phenom but I thought Id hear a gamers perspective.

Solution
till now the games utilize at maximum three cores but in future things may change....
So if you are concerned about the current games then go for phenomIIx3...or you might save those bucks and buy phenomIIx4 in future which I suppose would be a better option...
since athlonIIx4 is comparatively a weak quad core the future games might not run well...hence it would be better if you go for PHIIx4

zach377

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009

I mean like really budget, around $100 bucks for processor. The Phenom x3 and Athlon x4 both fall under that range so thats why I need help deciding.

But the real question is; do people think that games will start using 4 cores well enough in the near future that getting a quad is worth it, even if a tri preforms better right now?

sayantan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
till now the games utilize at maximum three cores but in future things may change....
So if you are concerned about the current games then go for phenomIIx3...or you might save those bucks and buy phenomIIx4 in future which I suppose would be a better option...
since athlonIIx4 is comparatively a weak quad core the future games might not run well...hence it would be better if you go for PHIIx4

Solution