This has happened randomly for awhile now. Can't recall the 1st time it
happened, or if it's related to the installation of some new software or
hardware.

It suggests there's something making some sort of auto self test.
task manager doesn't show anything out of the ordinary running.

the num lock, caps lock, and scroll lock lights all come on for just long
enough to catch my eye. Actually it could just be any one of the lights, as
when I look there the lights are off. But judging from the intensity I'm
assuming all 3 are coming on and off together.

It might be the new printer, as that's the only new thing I can think of as the
last new thing [software & hardware] installed.

Virus and ads are non-existent.

Malke

Husky wrote:

> This has happened randomly for awhile now. Can't recall the 1st time
> it happened, or if it's related to the installation of some new
> software or hardware.
>
> It suggests there's something making some sort of auto self test.
> task manager doesn't show anything out of the ordinary running.
>
> the num lock, caps lock, and scroll lock lights all come on for just
> long enough to catch my eye. Actually it could just be any one of the
> lights, as when I look there the lights are off. But judging from the
> intensity I'm assuming all 3 are coming on and off together.
>
> It might be the new printer, as that's the only new thing I can think
> of as the last new thing [software & hardware] installed.
>
> Virus and ads are non-existent.

Random errors usually mean failing hardware. Try a different,
known-working keyboard. If the errors stop, you're done. If the errors
continue, do clean-boot troubleshooting:

Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 06:48:13 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com> wrote:

>Husky wrote:
>
>> This has happened randomly for awhile now. Can't recall the 1st time
>> it happened, or if it's related to the installation of some new
>> software or hardware.
>>
>> It suggests there's something making some sort of auto self test.
>> task manager doesn't show anything out of the ordinary running.
>>
>> the num lock, caps lock, and scroll lock lights all come on for just
>> long enough to catch my eye. Actually it could just be any one of the
>> lights, as when I look there the lights are off. But judging from the
>> intensity I'm assuming all 3 are coming on and off together.
>>
>> It might be the new printer, as that's the only new thing I can think
>> of as the last new thing [software & hardware] installed.
>>
>> Virus and ads are non-existent.
>
>Random errors usually mean failing hardware. Try a different,
>known-working keyboard. If the errors stop, you're done. If the errors
>continue, do clean-boot troubleshooting:
Errors ? I just said the keyboard lights would turn themselves on and off. I'm
not having any errors.

>Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
> and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560
>
>Malke

Malke

Husky wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 06:48:13 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Husky wrote:
>>
>>> This has happened randomly for awhile now. Can't recall the 1st time
>>> it happened, or if it's related to the installation of some new
>>> software or hardware.
>>>
>>> It suggests there's something making some sort of auto self test.
>>> task manager doesn't show anything out of the ordinary running.
>>>
>>> the num lock, caps lock, and scroll lock lights all come on for just
>>> long enough to catch my eye. Actually it could just be any one of
>>> the lights, as when I look there the lights are off. But judging
>>> from the intensity I'm assuming all 3 are coming on and off
>>> together.
>>>
>>> It might be the new printer, as that's the only new thing I can
>>> think of as the last new thing [software & hardware] installed.
>>>
>>> Virus and ads are non-existent.
>>
>>Random errors usually mean failing hardware. Try a different,
>>known-working keyboard. If the errors stop, you're done. If the errors
>>continue, do clean-boot troubleshooting:

> Errors ? I just said the keyboard lights would turn themselves on and
> off. I'm not having any errors.

Sorry - I thought you wanted to solve the issue of your keyboard lights
going on and off randomly. If you don't, then what is the question?

Malke
--

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:44:26 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com> wrote:

>Husky wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 06:48:13 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
>> wrote:

>>>Random errors usually mean failing hardware. Try a different,
>>>known-working keyboard. If the errors stop, you're done. If the errors
>>>continue, do clean-boot troubleshooting:
>
>> Errors ? I just said the keyboard lights would turn themselves on and
>> off. I'm not having any errors.
>
>Sorry - I thought you wanted to solve the issue of your keyboard lights
>going on and off randomly. If you don't, then what is the question?
>
>Malke

Trying to find out what's causing the 3 lights to come on and turn themselves
off. It's little more than a blink.

I think it happens maybe once/twice a day... Which is what makes me think
something doing a self test.., or checking for updates.

Trying to see if this is happening elsewhere. The action is stand alone.
There's no software or hardware problems.

Malke

Husky wrote:

> Trying to find out what's causing the 3 lights to come on and turn
> themselves off. It's little more than a blink.
>
> I think it happens maybe once/twice a day... Which is what makes me
> think something doing a self test.., or checking for updates.
>
> Trying to see if this is happening elsewhere. The action is stand
> alone. There's no software or hardware problems.

"Happening elsewhere" as meaning to other people? I can only speak for
myself and say that I've never seen this behavior in a keyboard. If it
is one of those special multimedia keyboards and/or there is hotkey
software that goes with it, then I suppose it could be reacting to a
search for updates. Do some clean-boot troubleshooting and see what
happens:

Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

Good luck,

Malke
--

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:15:33 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com> wrote:

>Husky wrote:
>

>> Trying to find out what's causing the 3 lights to come on and turn
>> themselves off. It's little more than a blink.
>>
>> I think it happens maybe once/twice a day... Which is what makes me
>> think something doing a self test.., or checking for updates.
>>
>> Trying to see if this is happening elsewhere. The action is stand
>> alone. There's no software or hardware problems.
>>

>"Happening elsewhere" as meaning to other people? I can only speak for
>myself and say that I've never seen this behavior in a keyboard.
And till now I haven't seen anything like it.