Will this PSU fry my new system?

onesickcrx

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
I bought a cheap Full ATX standard case from this company in Florida, The PSU is a SUNSHINE swithing power supply,heres the stats on it:
AC INPUT:115V/230V~,6A/3A,50/60Hz
MODEL:ATX-7P4-3
DC OUTPUT 400W 200W MAX
Is this enough to power my new system or will it fry it???
Heres what I have:
Abit NF7 V2.0 MB
XP 1800 CPU
2 DDR 3200 256 memory
80GB WD

pc_man83

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003
I think it wont fry your stuff. If it can output 400w then that is good. But if its only 200watts rms that is not enough. The worst it will probably do is fry the power supply. I used to have a 300watt deer power supply and i overloaded it. One day i bought another stick of ram and a tv tuner card and stuck it in. I booted up the pc and within two seconds fire shot out of the back of my power supply. If you want a good power supply get an enermax. I have the 431watt one and thats amazing. Its your choice but if that power supply is only rated for 200watts i wouldnt trust it. But what happens happens. And its generic.....

onesickcrx

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
I have it all hooked up and ready to start Do you guys think If I start it will it fry the mother board and all the other componets or just the power supply will mess up?

aosborn

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003
why would the powersupply mess up the components? there is almost no way for it to happen. The psu has a fuse incase it gets a surge, and it itself will fry if it cant take it. specially the generic ones. And with what you have even 200watt should be enough, maybe not at full load but that doesnt happen much. but if it isnt enough youll know. either wont boot up or youll get a lot of memory errors or BSOD.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
wtf, two posts in a row. no way to damage the components with a faulty power supply? yea, cause we all know that sagging voltages cant hurt anything right?

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
where are you from? pluto? of course a power supply can fry other parts. the fuse is only for the power TO the power supply from your outlet. I would go with a better power supply, like enermax, but to each his own, I quit using the cheap power supplies that came with cheap cases, they are cheap for a reason, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. buy cheap, get cheap. and let me tell ya, cheap dont cut it on quality setups!

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.

acron1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your system will propably run OK for a while but I will have to agree that it will be best if you got a good 400+W Enermax or Antec for~$55 or so.

Beam me up Scotty.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
it won't fry your system and should work OK. Eventually it will burn itself up, but without damaging the system. It should last 3-5 years or until the fan burns out, depending on if you notice the burned out fan and replace it or not.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>