i have an AOL broadband connection through ADSL globe span modem and
the modem is connected to the PC via USB and a normal phone line
RJ-11 connector goes into the back of the modem.

my question is i have bough a Linksys router a 4 port one but my modem
does not connect to the router as it has to be connected vis RJ-45
connector and i have only got an RJ-11 connector does this mean that
it cant be used or can i still use the router some how????

MadDog

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

The router probably needs for you to have a NIC (Network Interface Card) in
your computer. What does the router documentation say ??

MD

"andrew_Playford" wrote:

> i have an AOL broadband connection through ADSL globe span modem and
> the modem is connected to the PC via USB and a normal phone line
> RJ-11 connector goes into the back of the modem.
>
> my question is i have bough a Linksys router a 4 port one but my modem
> does not connect to the router as it has to be connected vis RJ-45
> connector and i have only got an RJ-11 connector does this mean that
> it cant be used or can i still use the router some how????

Malke

andrew_Playford wrote:

> i have an AOL broadband connection through ADSL globe span modem and
> the modem is connected to the PC via USB and a normal phone line
> RJ-11 connector goes into the back of the modem.
>
> my question is i have bough a Linksys router a 4 port one but my modem
> does not connect to the router as it has to be connected vis RJ-45
> connector and i have only got an RJ-11 connector does this mean that
> it cant be used or can i still use the router some how????

The modem will never be connected to the router with RJ-11. That is the
phone line cable that goes from the modem to the phone jack for your
DSL. Many routers have a usb connection for the WAN port as well as an
ethernet connection. If the Linksys you bought doesn't have one of
these and if your DSL modem only has USB and no ethernet (poor design
choice) then you will need to return the Linksys and buy a router that
has a USB connector for the WAN port.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers