weird problem

zwaarst

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hee felows,

I have a weird problem,
For 3 moths now we have a file server in our house (asrock MB, XP2200, ddr 2700, tnt2, 4 HD's, winXP prof is on a WD800JB.

the system work great for 2 moths, after that it crashed every 2 hours. I treid an other power suply, still the system crashed
Runned memtest 86-v3.0 for 12 hours, came out clean
removed evrything but the esential parts
and still i got deverent error messages, but most of the thime it was : "IRQL-not-less-or-equal"
After al this i decided to reinstall XP, but during the install proses i got the well know blue screen, and after retrying i got the blue screen on an other point during the install proces, stil with the same error message
"IRQL-not-less-or-equal"
does enybody have a clue what the problem can be ???

<font color=red>duk-tape is like the force, it has a bright side and a dark side, and it keeps the universe together.</font color=red>

firefinch

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
Hi, I was having the same error message on WinXP.

I took the computer to a reliable person and he told me that usually it's a driver problem or else a defective card.

Strangely enough, I installed Win2k and the computer did not give again this error, however it was rebooting by itself intermittently. This technician seemed to track this prob to a faulty network card. However, I'm still testing the computer with both XP and W2k to see if the prob is now solved.

Maybe my bad experience may shed a light on your weird prob.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
What are your temperatures & voltages?(Either in BIOS or using Motherboard monitor or similar software)
Specifically are the various voltages fluctuating a lot?

Just wondering if maybe your motherboard voltages controllers are dying.

exactly what is the motherboard (or chipset, if you know)

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

zwaarst

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I dont think that is the problem,, and if it is, i am in trouble, beceause everything (exept the video) in onboard. I already changed the video, so that cant be the problem.

<font color=red>duk-tape is like the force, it has a bright side and a dark side, and it keeps the universe together.</font color=red>

zwaarst

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the motherboard is an asrock K7VT2 (probably made by asus) with an via266a chipset
It is good possible that it is a voltage problem. heat is not very likly, it is cold here in the netherlands, the case is open, an left only one HD-connected. also do the crases happen when the computer is idle.

do you know a good program to monitor the voltage, that i can download for free ??

thx already

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
a quick google and....
<A HREF="http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=311&file=2&evp=c230ac3b359a1981f1b0a9ee8fa4a983" target="_new">Try Here</A>
It can log your voltages/temps over a period of time, so you can leave it running in the background, and see how they change when you stress your system.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink: