someone help please? ASUS P4P800 Deluxe no post

jugghead23

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
First off, Crashman, I did read your FAQ and it gave me some things to look at.
Let me describe my situation (similar to another post that I read recently).

I mounted the mobo, cpu, memory, video card, atx case connections, hard drives, tried to turn on the computer. Nothing. All fans spun, green light on the mobo but no post. Then I read a post in here that talked about "first boot should be with no idea", "standoffs could cause unintentional ground"..

I started removing parts until I was down to the mobo with CPU and memory connected to the ATX power supply and the atx case Power SW and speaker. Again, nothing...fans spinning, board green lighted.

Next I sat the mobo on a towell as suggested by someone else so that it wasn't connected to any standoffs. Again same situation.

Finally, I removed the memory then the cpu. The mobo is sitting on a towell with the 20-pin and 4-pin atx power supply connections, the atx case Power SW and Speaker connections. Press power, same thing. All fans spinning, board green light on.. no post.

I don't think I can strip down any further, need the powersupply connections, need the Power SW connection to turn the damn thing on and need the speaker connection to hear any post messages/beeps.

Does anyone have any other suggestions cause I'm lost. Could it be the power supply? Or is it just time to RMA the motherboard and try again.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
-Geoff

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
You need a mobo cpu memory ps and graphics card in order to post, running without any of these missing will cause you to fail post.

That being said, if you are getting no error codes you eiher have an improperly installed processor or a dead board, try clearing the bios...

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

RCPilot

Champion
Reset the CMOS. That should get it going.

Side note: You don't need the case switch to turn it on. A pencil lead off a common pencil touching both leads & it will fire up. Same thing to shut it down.

Dazzle them with Brilliance, or Baffle them with BS! :wink:

jugghead23

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
ok, I'm a bit of a n00b how do I go about reseting the CMOS and clearing the BIOS?

I apologize for the stupid question.

-Geoff

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
they are the same thing...well only in the computer world (in terms of IC's cmos is a pretty general term)...

Anyhow, the simplest way for me to tell you is, see the batery on the motherboard (big 'ol watch batery) remove it and put it in upside down for a second and then flip it back over (I promise you will not short anything out) then boot up your computer.

BTW while you are doing the battery flip make sure the power strip is off / computer is unpluged from wall.

110% BX fanboy

jugghead23

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
thanks. I actually went and read the manual (which I happened to bring with me to work) after your post.

It says
1. Power down and unplug
2. Remove the onboard battery
3. Move jumper caps from pins 1-2 (Default) to pins 2-3 for about 5-10 seconds. Move the cap back to pins 1-2.
4. Replace the battery
5. Try to power back up.

I have a number of things to try when I get home from work tonight, but by the end of the night, if I have not heard any beeps and/or Post Reporter voice messages, its back in the box and RMA'd back to newegg in the morning.

Thanks

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
basically both ways do the same thing. Actually they are telling you to remove the battery to be extra safe, do it by the book though...

110% BX fanboy

jugghead23

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
Well, everything is up and running and everything seems great so far.

My issue appears to have been an improperly seated CPU (thanks pIII_Man). The first time I dropped the CPU into the zif socket it didn't seem to sit completely flat on one side but at the time I didn't think of it.

So as I was putting things back together last night I took an up close look at the pins on the CPU. Sure enough, one corner pin was slightly bent and preventing a proper installation. I got a very small flat head and ever-so-gently bent it straight again. Dropped it in, installed hsf, memory, video and hooked it up to PS...along came beeps from the bios.
Next, installed it in the case on all 9 standoffs...still beeping at next boot(good sign!)

Anyway, long story short...OS installed, started installing apps and moving files from old computer (since my sister is taking over "old faithful"). Running stable and very cool (of course nothing OC'd yet).

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

-Geoff

ps. I also did pop out the backup battery to reset the CMOS just to be safe.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jugghead23 on 10/08/03 09:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>