Media problem

Tags:
  • Windows XP
August 25, 2005 11:04:40 PM

I can't listen to internet radio stations or watch any of the movies on the
news. I downloaded the latest Win Media and nothing works. I've also just
installed a network. Where do I begin to locate the problem? Is it XP, is it
Win Media or is it the network? Everything else in the two computers is
functioning normally.

Bob

More about : media problem

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 7:46:24 AM

Robertm Wrote:
> I can't listen to internet radio stations or watch any of the movies on
> the
> news. I downloaded the latest Win Media and nothing works. I've also
> just
> installed a network. Where do I begin to locate the problem? Is it XP,
> is it
> Win Media or is it the network? Everything else in the two computers
> is
> functioning normally.
>
> Bob

Try clearing out the cache in Internet Explorer. Just close eveyrthing
and then open up IE. Go to Tools > Internet Options. There should be a
section called Temporary Internet Files. Click Delete Files. Also
delete all the offline files (with a checkbox). Be aware that it can
take some time to delete all the files.

--
Evolution54
August 26, 2005 12:28:25 PM

"Evolution54" <Evolution54.1ucwe4@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Robertm Wrote:
>> I can't listen to internet radio stations or watch any of the movies on
>> the
>> news. I downloaded the latest Win Media and nothing works. I've also
>> just
>> installed a network. Where do I begin to locate the problem? Is it XP,
>> is it
>> Win Media or is it the network? Everything else in the two computers
>> is
>> functioning normally.
>>
>> Bob
>
> Try clearing out the cache in Internet Explorer. Just close eveyrthing
> and then open up IE. Go to Tools > Internet Options. There should be a
> section called Temporary Internet Files. Click Delete Files. Also
> delete all the offline files (with a checkbox). Be aware that it can
> take some time to delete all the files.
>

> --
> Evolution54

I cleaned the cache. It seems that it might be a firewall problem or my XP
security settings that are not letting Media communicate over the internet.
Media will play my CD's and will play some songs on the net but the video
and radio won't work so it appears to be related to streaming. I can't find
a menu in Media for changing any of the settings. I can't even find a help
file in Media. Is there a newsgroup that deals with media? Maybe I'd be
better off installing a different sound application.

Bob
August 27, 2005 8:27:48 AM

Robertm Wrote:
> "Evolution54" Evolution54.1ucwe4@pcbanter.net wrote in message
>
> Robertm Wrote:-
> I can't listen to internet radio stations or watch any of the movies
> on
> the
> news. I downloaded the latest Win Media and nothing works. I've also
> just
> installed a network. Where do I begin to locate the problem? Is it
> XP,
> is it
> Win Media or is it the network? Everything else in the two computers
> is
> functioning normally.
>
> Bob-
>
> Try clearing out the cache in Internet Explorer. Just close
> eveyrthing
> and then open up IE. Go to Tools Internet Options. There should be a
> section called Temporary Internet Files. Click Delete Files. Also
> delete all the offline files (with a checkbox). Be aware that it can
> take some time to delete all the files.
>

> --
> Evolution54-
>
> I cleaned the cache. It seems that it might be a firewall problem or my
> XP
> security settings that are not letting Media communicate over the
> internet.
> Media will play my CD's and will play some songs on the net but the
> video
> and radio won't work so it appears to be related to streaming. I can't
> find
> a menu in Media for changing any of the settings. I can't even find a
> help
> file in Media. Is there a newsgroup that deals with media? Maybe I'd
> be
> better off installing a different sound application.
>
> Bob

I just found out that the UDP protocol is required for streaming
contents off the Internet. Try check your firewall and see if it is
blocking the UDP protocol. Also, try another program like winamp and
try see if you can stream off their radio stations. If cannot, then it
should have something to do with the protocol being blocked. Sorry but
I can' seem to find the newsgroup but I am sure someone posted it
before. Try searching for it if this doesn't help.

--
Evolution54
August 27, 2005 4:27:20 PM

I found another ng microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player and posted my
problem there. We'll see if anyone there has run into the problem.
Everything works ok on the computer running Win 2000 so maybe Media is not
all that compatible with XP. I tried Winamp and that doesn't work, either,
so maybe it is XP and not Win media player.

Bob

"Evolution54" <Evolution54.1uer1v@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Robertm Wrote:
>> "Evolution54" Evolution54.1ucwe4@pcbanter.net wrote in message
>>
>> Robertm Wrote:-
>> I can't listen to internet radio stations or watch any of the movies
>> on
>> the
>> news. I downloaded the latest Win Media and nothing works. I've also
>> just
>> installed a network. Where do I begin to locate the problem? Is it
>> XP,
>> is it
>> Win Media or is it the network? Everything else in the two computers
>> is
>> functioning normally.
>>
>> Bob-
>>
>> Try clearing out the cache in Internet Explorer. Just close
>> eveyrthing
>> and then open up IE. Go to Tools Internet Options. There should be a
>> section called Temporary Internet Files. Click Delete Files. Also
>> delete all the offline files (with a checkbox). Be aware that it can
>> take some time to delete all the files.
>>

>> --
>> Evolution54-
>>
>> I cleaned the cache. It seems that it might be a firewall problem or my
>> XP
>> security settings that are not letting Media communicate over the
>> internet.
>> Media will play my CD's and will play some songs on the net but the
>> video
>> and radio won't work so it appears to be related to streaming. I can't
>> find
>> a menu in Media for changing any of the settings. I can't even find a
>> help
>> file in Media. Is there a newsgroup that deals with media? Maybe I'd
>> be
>> better off installing a different sound application.
>>
>> Bob
>
> I just found out that the UDP protocol is required for streaming
> contents off the Internet. Try check your firewall and see if it is
> blocking the UDP protocol. Also, try another program like winamp and
> try see if you can stream off their radio stations. If cannot, then it
> should have something to do with the protocol being blocked. Sorry but
> I can' seem to find the newsgroup but I am sure someone posted it
> before. Try searching for it if this doesn't help.
>

> --
> Evolution54
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 11:13:25 PM

Robertm Wrote:
> [...]
> find
> a menu in Media for changing any of the settings. I can't even find a
> help
> file in Media. Is there a newsgroup that deals with media? Maybe I'd
> be
> better off installing a different sound application.
>
> Bob-
>
> I just found out that the UDP protocol is required for streaming
> contents off the Internet. Try check your firewall and see if it is
> blocking the UDP protocol. Also, try another program like winamp and
> try see if you can stream off their radio stations. If cannot, then
> it
> should have something to do with the protocol being blocked. Sorry
> but
> I can' seem to find the newsgroup but I am sure someone posted it
> before. Try searching for it if this doesn't help.

Have you tried checking the network tab in the options menu to make
sure all the protocols were checked?

--
Evolution54
August 28, 2005 2:19:40 AM

"Evolution54" <Evolution54.1ug51p@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> [...]
>> file in Media. Is there a newsgroup that deals with media? Maybe I'd
>> be
>> better off installing a different sound application.
>>
>> Bob-
>>
>> I just found out that the UDP protocol is required for streaming
>> contents off the Internet. Try check your firewall and see if it is
>> blocking the UDP protocol. Also, try another program like winamp and
>> try see if you can stream off their radio stations. If cannot, then
>> it
>> should have something to do with the protocol being blocked. Sorry
>> but
>> I can' seem to find the newsgroup but I am sure someone posted it
>> before. Try searching for it if this doesn't help.
>>

>> --
>> Evolution54-
>
> Have you tried checking the network tab in the options menu to make

Where do I find this Options Menu? In Media? In windows? In Internet
Explorer?

Bob
August 28, 2005 3:45:04 AM

It's working, just have to figure out how to use it. To tune in a radio
station I have to go to Google, do a search, then work my way through their
menu and finally play. Next time I start it, I have to go through it all
over again. Seems there must be a way to save a list of favorite radio
stations and access them directly from Media or from some sort of list. They
sure don't tell you anything in the help files. Microsoft says they'll
answer an e-mail for $99 per incident. I could buy as lot of CD's for $99. I
thought this mess was supposed to be plug & play. I can't see many people
having the patience to bother using a computer for listening to the radio.
It's all hype, nothing more than a cruel hoax.

Bob

> [...]
>> file in Media. Is there a newsgroup that deals with media? Maybe I'd
>> be
>> better off installing a different sound application.
>>
>> Bob-
>>
>> I just found out that the UDP protocol is required for streaming
>> contents off the Internet. Try check your firewall and see if it is
>> blocking the UDP protocol. Also, try another program like winamp and
>> try see if you can stream off their radio stations. If cannot, then
>> it
>> should have something to do with the protocol being blocked. Sorry
>> but
>> I can' seem to find the newsgroup but I am sure someone posted it
>> before. Try searching for it if this doesn't help.
>>

>> --
>> Evolution54-
>
> Have you tried checking the network tab in the options menu to make

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 1:55:44 PM

Robertm Wrote:
> [...]
> file in Media. Is there a newsgroup that deals with media? Maybe I'd
> be
> better off installing a different sound application.
>
> Bob-
>
> I just found out that the UDP protocol is required for streaming
> contents off the Internet. Try check your firewall and see if it is
> blocking the UDP protocol. Also, try another program like winamp and
> try see if you can stream off their radio stations. If cannot, then
> it
> should have something to do with the protocol being blocked. Sorry
> but
> I can' seem to find the newsgroup but I am sure someone posted it
> before. Try searching for it if this doesn't help.
>

> --
> Evolution54--
>
> Have you tried checking the network tab in the options menu to make

First of all, since you said its working now, why don't you try open up
Windows Media Player -> View -> Go To -> Radio Stations...
There are tons of radio stations categorized and listening to them is
simple. However, if you want specific radio stations, of course you are
gonna have to search it up. Just find the page, and then bookmark it so
you can go back to it next time. Try see if you can save the link (of
the radio station) onto your desktop so you can have easier access to
it. You can also try the Winamp radio tuner. They also have tons and
tons of music categorized by music type and I am sure what you listen
to is listed there. Hope this helps.

--
Evolution54
August 28, 2005 1:55:45 PM

thanks for your assistance through all of this.

Bob

"Evolution54" <Evolution54.1uh2dv@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> [...]
>>

>> --
>> Evolution54--
>>
>> Have you tried checking the network tab in the options menu to make
>> sure all the protocols were checked?
>>

>> --
>> Evolution54-
>
> First of all, since you said its working now, why don't you try open up
> Windows Media Player -> View -> Go To -> Radio Stations...
> There are tons of radio stations categorized and listening to them is
> simple. However, if you want specific radio stations, of course you are
> gonna have to search it up. Just find the page, and then bookmark it so
> you can go back to it next time. Try see if you can save the link (of
> the radio station) onto your desktop so you can have easier access to
> it. You can also try the Winamp radio tuner. They also have tons and
> tons of music categorized by music type and I am sure what you listen

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 2:07:38 PM

Robertm wrote:
> [...]
>>>

>>>--
>>>Evolution54--
>>>
>>>Have you tried checking the network tab in the options menu to make
>>>sure all the protocols were checked?
>>>

>>>--
>>>Evolution54-
>>
>>First of all, since you said its working now, why don't you try open up
>>Windows Media Player -> View -> Go To -> Radio Stations...
>>There are tons of radio stations categorized and listening to them is
>>simple. However, if you want specific radio stations, of course you are
>>gonna have to search it up. Just find the page, and then bookmark it so
>>you can go back to it next time. Try see if you can save the link (of
>>the radio station) onto your desktop so you can have easier access to
>>it. You can also try the Winamp radio tuner. They also have tons and
>>tons of music categorized by music type and I am sure what you listen

Radio-Locater is much better than googling when serching for streaming
radio.
http://www.radio-locator.com/
!