Media problem

I can't listen to internet radio stations or watch any of the movies on the
news. I downloaded the latest Win Media and nothing works. I've also just
installed a network. Where do I begin to locate the problem? Is it XP, is it
Win Media or is it the network? Everything else in the two computers is
functioning normally.

Bob
10 answers Last reply
More about media problem

    Robertm Wrote:
    > I can't listen to internet radio stations or watch any of the movies on
    > the
    > news. I downloaded the latest Win Media and nothing works. I've also
    > just
    > installed a network. Where do I begin to locate the problem? Is it XP,
    > is it
    > Win Media or is it the network? Everything else in the two computers
    > is
    > functioning normally.
    >
    > Bob

    Try clearing out the cache in Internet Explorer. Just close eveyrthing
    and then open up IE. Go to Tools > Internet Options. There should be a
    section called Temporary Internet Files. Click Delete Files. Also
    delete all the offline files (with a checkbox). Be aware that it can
    take some time to delete all the files.

    --
    Evolution54

    "Evolution54" <Evolution54.1ucwe4@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Robertm Wrote:
    >> I can't listen to internet radio stations or watch any of the movies on
    >> the
    >> news. I downloaded the latest Win Media and nothing works. I've also
    >> just
    >> installed a network. Where do I begin to locate the problem? Is it XP,
    >> is it
    >> Win Media or is it the network? Everything else in the two computers
    >> is
    >> functioning normally.
    >>
    >> Bob
    >
    > Try clearing out the cache in Internet Explorer. Just close eveyrthing
    > and then open up IE. Go to Tools > Internet Options. There should be a
    > section called Temporary Internet Files. Click Delete Files. Also
    > delete all the offline files (with a checkbox). Be aware that it can
    > take some time to delete all the files.
    >

    > --
    > Evolution54

    I cleaned the cache. It seems that it might be a firewall problem or my XP
    security settings that are not letting Media communicate over the internet.
    Media will play my CD's and will play some songs on the net but the video
    and radio won't work so it appears to be related to streaming. I can't find
    a menu in Media for changing any of the settings. I can't even find a help
    file in Media. Is there a newsgroup that deals with media? Maybe I'd be
    better off installing a different sound application.

    Bob

    Robertm Wrote:
    > "Evolution54" Evolution54.1ucwe4@pcbanter.net wrote in message
    >
    > Robertm Wrote:-
    > I can't listen to internet radio stations or watch any of the movies
    > on
    > the
    > news. I downloaded the latest Win Media and nothing works. I've also
    > just
    > installed a network. Where do I begin to locate the problem? Is it
    > XP,
    > is it
    > Win Media or is it the network? Everything else in the two computers
    > is
    > functioning normally.
    >
    > Bob-
    >
    > Try clearing out the cache in Internet Explorer. Just close
    > eveyrthing
    > and then open up IE. Go to Tools Internet Options. There should be a
    > section called Temporary Internet Files. Click Delete Files. Also
    > delete all the offline files (with a checkbox). Be aware that it can
    > take some time to delete all the files.
    >

    > --
    > Evolution54-
    >
    > I cleaned the cache. It seems that it might be a firewall problem or my
    > XP
    > security settings that are not letting Media communicate over the
    > internet.
    > Media will play my CD's and will play some songs on the net but the
    > video
    > and radio won't work so it appears to be related to streaming. I can't
    > find
    > a menu in Media for changing any of the settings. I can't even find a
    > help
    > file in Media. Is there a newsgroup that deals with media? Maybe I'd
    > be
    > better off installing a different sound application.
    >
    > Bob

    I just found out that the UDP protocol is required for streaming
    contents off the Internet. Try check your firewall and see if it is
    blocking the UDP protocol. Also, try another program like winamp and
    try see if you can stream off their radio stations. If cannot, then it
    should have something to do with the protocol being blocked. Sorry but
    I can' seem to find the newsgroup but I am sure someone posted it
    before. Try searching for it if this doesn't help.

    --
    Evolution54

    I found another ng microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player and posted my
    problem there. We'll see if anyone there has run into the problem.
    Everything works ok on the computer running Win 2000 so maybe Media is not
    all that compatible with XP. I tried Winamp and that doesn't work, either,
    so maybe it is XP and not Win media player.

    Bob

    Robertm Wrote:
> [...]
    > find
    > a menu in Media for changing any of the settings. I can't even find a
    > help
    > file in Media. Is there a newsgroup that deals with media? Maybe I'd
    > be
    > better off installing a different sound application.
    >
    > Bob-
    >
    > I just found out that the UDP protocol is required for streaming
    > contents off the Internet. Try check your firewall and see if it is
    > blocking the UDP protocol. Also, try another program like winamp and
    > try see if you can stream off their radio stations. If cannot, then
    > it
    > should have something to do with the protocol being blocked. Sorry
    > but
    > I can' seem to find the newsgroup but I am sure someone posted it
    > before. Try searching for it if this doesn't help.

    Have you tried checking the network tab in the options menu to make
    sure all the protocols were checked?

    --
    Evolution54

    "Evolution54" <Evolution54.1ug51p@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> [...]
    >> file in Media. Is there a newsgroup that deals with media? Maybe I'd
    >> be
    >> better off installing a different sound application.
    >>
    >> Bob-
    >>
    >> I just found out that the UDP protocol is required for streaming
    >> contents off the Internet. Try check your firewall and see if it is
    >> blocking the UDP protocol. Also, try another program like winamp and
    >> try see if you can stream off their radio stations. If cannot, then
    >> it
    >> should have something to do with the protocol being blocked. Sorry
    >> but
    >> I can' seem to find the newsgroup but I am sure someone posted it
    >> before. Try searching for it if this doesn't help.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Evolution54-
    >
    > Have you tried checking the network tab in the options menu to make

    Where do I find this Options Menu? In Media? In windows? In Internet
    Explorer?

    Bob

    It's working, just have to figure out how to use it. To tune in a radio
    station I have to go to Google, do a search, then work my way through their
    menu and finally play. Next time I start it, I have to go through it all
    over again. Seems there must be a way to save a list of favorite radio
    stations and access them directly from Media or from some sort of list. They
    sure don't tell you anything in the help files. Microsoft says they'll
    answer an e-mail for $99 per incident. I could buy as lot of CD's for $99. I
    thought this mess was supposed to be plug & play. I can't see many people
    having the patience to bother using a computer for listening to the radio.
    It's all hype, nothing more than a cruel hoax.

    Bob

    Robertm Wrote:
> [...]
    > file in Media. Is there a newsgroup that deals with media? Maybe I'd
    > be
    > better off installing a different sound application.
    >
    > Bob-
    >
    > I just found out that the UDP protocol is required for streaming
    > contents off the Internet. Try check your firewall and see if it is
    > blocking the UDP protocol. Also, try another program like winamp and
    > try see if you can stream off their radio stations. If cannot, then
    > it
    > should have something to do with the protocol being blocked. Sorry
    > but
    > I can' seem to find the newsgroup but I am sure someone posted it
    > before. Try searching for it if this doesn't help.
    >

    > --
    > Evolution54--
    >
    > Have you tried checking the network tab in the options menu to make

    First of all, since you said its working now, why don't you try open up
    Windows Media Player -> View -> Go To -> Radio Stations...
    There are tons of radio stations categorized and listening to them is
    simple. However, if you want specific radio stations, of course you are
    gonna have to search it up. Just find the page, and then bookmark it so
    you can go back to it next time. Try see if you can save the link (of
    the radio station) onto your desktop so you can have easier access to
    it. You can also try the Winamp radio tuner. They also have tons and
    tons of music categorized by music type and I am sure what you listen
    to is listed there. Hope this helps.

    --
    Evolution54

    thanks for your assistance through all of this.

    Bob

    Robertm wrote:
> [...]
    >>>

    >>>--
    >>>Evolution54--
    >>>
    >>>Have you tried checking the network tab in the options menu to make
    >>>sure all the protocols were checked?
    >>>

    >>>--
    >>>Evolution54-
    >>
    >>First of all, since you said its working now, why don't you try open up
    >>Windows Media Player -> View -> Go To -> Radio Stations...
    >>There are tons of radio stations categorized and listening to them is
    >>simple. However, if you want specific radio stations, of course you are
    >>gonna have to search it up. Just find the page, and then bookmark it so
    >>you can go back to it next time. Try see if you can save the link (of
    >>the radio station) onto your desktop so you can have easier access to
    >>it. You can also try the Winamp radio tuner. They also have tons and
    >>tons of music categorized by music type and I am sure what you listen

    Radio-Locater is much better than googling when serching for streaming
    radio.
    http://www.radio-locator.com/

Windows XP