Flight combat games? (besides IL-2 and MS flight simulator)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zspturbo

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Pretty simple question really. I tried searching game websites but flight sim and flight combat games are pretty hard to find. I know about IL-2 1946. I know about Microsoft Flight Simulator. But what else is out there for PC? I really enjoyed ace combat 5 for PS2 but that was a WHILE ago...
I'm looking for fun more than real-life simulation. Space games are cool, I remember x-wing vs tie fighter, a game which DEFINITELY deserves a remake.

^^ Not many, although I feel you're pain. [I should note, I HATE IL-2. Its not THAT hard to fly an airplane]

Crimson Skies was (And still is) a great game, but unless you use aged drivers (or a bug-fix .exe), you need to run on the software render, and the game has major problems with Vista/7. M$ Combat Simulator is decent from what I've heard, and Red Baron 3d is still a cult classic.

Outside of that, the only decent flight sims I know of are the aged (but surprisingly fun) Aces over Europe/Pacific from the late 80's...

I hate all "modern" flight sims, as missles are just cheap. I actually played those two though, and found them decent, but not great. [BTW, did they ever fix the "You don't get ammo between campaign missions" bug?]

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

You know, I havn't played the games in like... 3 years. But I do have the originals sitting on my cupboard. You know, how original it is? It even has the original fat box + all the fat manuals :D - Classic I tells ya.

For a game that came out in 1998, they where pretty impressive without a doubt. Still is today, especially when you switch to cockpit cam, it is pure excellence. Do you remember the "paper plane" cheat? :D

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

Nah your right... F-22 from Novalogic. But I remember playing it once and hating it. Not sure why, I may download a copy to see why I hated it so bad. If its good, I'll buy it for my novalogic collection :)

^^ Eh, got them in a pack together ages ago. As I said, decent, but Crimson Skies was a far better game (not to mention Red Baron 3d, which I still play a lot).

Funny thing, is how the oldest games (Heroes over Europe/The Pacific) have the most influence; IL-2 is basically a modern ripoff (right down to the difficulty customization options :D). Still, if planes were actaully FLYABLE in IL-2, I might play it for more then 20 frustrating minutes per year...

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
^^ WOW... Minimum system requirements Core 2 Duo E6600 - 8800GT. Jesus christ, that game looks like it could run on a Pentium 1 machine, whats with the steap requirements? It's not like its Crysis, or MW2 with intense surroundings... Meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.