New system wont boot!

onesickcrx

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
I followed all the manual's instructions and my new system wont boot up when I turn it on everything sounds like it's working but the screen is blank. I tried clearing the cmos and still wont work, anybody have any ideas? This is my first system that I ever put together also.
here's what I have:

Abit NF7 V2.0
Retail XP 1800 CPU
2 PC 3200 DDR 256 memory
voodoo 3 3000 PCI video card
generic cdrom
generic floppy disk

onesickcrx

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
I already read that before I posted and still no luck!
Do you guys think it may be the HD? the one I'm using I ordered from newegg it's a 40GB Maxtor 72k ATA133% I got it hooked up on EIDE 1.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could be connected wrong, try disconnecting it. This was laid out for you in the Motherboard's FAQ.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

onesickcrx

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
I took everyting apart but the cpu,mobo,memory,psu,video card and still no luck it wont post blank screen. Is this a posibility of a dead board? the fans and everything work the lights on the mobo itself turn on any ideas???

InKyEyES

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
Try it with just one memory stick in it and it's a good idea to double check your front panel hook up's. Leave it turned on and then pull the power cord out of the back and let it sit for about 30 seconds and then plug the cord back in and see if it automatically turns back on or not. Usually a good indication if the motherboard is bad or not. if it turn back on then i'd ship the motherboard back and get a new one. Just my 2 cent's...

onesickcrx

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
I tried it with one memory stick and I tripled checked the front hook ups it's all hooked up correctly. I left it on and pulled the power cord out of the back and I let it sit and waited 30 seconds and plug it back in again and it did't turn back on so I guess the board is good right just something wrong with it not posting???

endyen

Splendid
Do you have a speaker hooked up to to the mobo? Are you getting any beeps? If all you get is the one short normal beep, maybe get a vid card from this century.

zible

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2003
not to sound to archaic but, don't most modern mbd's require a agp vid card in order to post?

is the board even posting? (one beep, two beeps, 12 beeps, message from satan if played backwards?) Thats usually the first thing to detemine.

But maybe your vid is an AGP and I am just to lazy to look up what it is, these things happen.

You can pick up a gheto agp vid for a measly 12 dollars if that does prove the problem. (and I am talken major gheto card here)

onesickcrx

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
no it does't beep everything just turns on like if it was to work but nothing on the screen my video is a PCI voodoo 3000. Also even with the mobo speaker hooked on correctly does't make any noise.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by onesickcrx on 10/08/03 02:37 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

zible

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2003
Well, not to be repetative, and just for the sake of aurgument, lets assume the speaker is hooked up correctly. (polarity really doesn't matter much with speakers as it does with LED's so as long as it is covering the pins it's probably hooked up right)

I am still sticking with my modern mbd theory. Most modern mbd's need a AGP vid card, one or more stick of mem, and a processor (with heatsink if it's amd) in order to even post.

Otherwise you will get lights, flashing and fans, but no beep.

Thats my suggestion, borrow, beg, steal, or buy one and try it out.

**maybe not steal one, but the other options are pretty easy to muster**

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
First, a PC <i><b>won't</b></i> by default turn itself back on if you do the plug/unplug thing. There's an option somewhere in the BIOS to do this, but on all PCs I've ever seen, the default is to not do anything.

Adding to what everyone else has said, have you plugged the CPU fan into a header on the mobo which is marked CPU_FAN? It's possible it won't POST due to it believing the CPU fan is dead. If it's just plugged into another fan header, you might have this problem.

I would also suggest getting an AGP card too.. Most mobos need to be set to boot from a PCI card in the BIOS, and default to AGP. I would expect some beeps though...

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

piasabird

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
This is a common problem with a VooDoo III video card boot into safe mode till you get the .cat compressed video drivers to install and set it to lowest setting. I think XP wants 600 X 800 as lowest setting.

when you see smoke is that a good sign?

piasabird

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
Keep in mind the voltage requirements for your motherboard. Is it AGP2, AGP4, AGP Pro slot?

What are the voltage requirements for your VGA slot?

what are the voltage requirements for your video Card?

I think they may be different, but I am not sure.

when you see smoke is that a good sign?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Guys if there is no video card detected you will get an error code. No beep at all means that the cpu is not being initialised or the board is dead.

Since he is using a pci video card the agp signaling voltage means nothing.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

onesickcrx

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
I removed everything from the board aside from one pc 3200 256 memory stick the another vid card and the CPU/fan. No beeps. I removed the vid card… no beeps. When I removed the RAM…I still get no beeps. CPU fan turns on everything hooked up to the mobo turns on it's just the mobo does't beep or post. the mobo was tested right before I got it and while I worked on it I used gloves and pastic screwdriver.

Also CPU can't be bad b/c I got it new retail.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by onesickcrx on 10/08/03 05:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Just because it's new, doesn't mean that it isn't bad.